New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward? 29/12/20

Day

New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I've always been very anti-Rooney.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the job - he has no experience or qualifications, or even allegiance to the club. A side in relegation trouble - which for a club with Derby County's cost base could also threaten the very existence of the club, should be looking to an experienced manager to ensure safety and a solid rebuild. Even if Rooney does well, he'll be off as soon as Everton or Man U come calling. Appointing Rooney should be a non-starter of a decision.

The problem is that I have a certain style of football which I enjoy and believe is the most likely to get us promoted (not this season obvs). I believe that the single most important thing at this level is to go all out to win the 2nd ball. It's that which gives you the extra 10% to turn draws into victories and defeats into drawers. That mean fitness and commitment from the players and the drive to achieve it from the manager. On top of that I think attacks have to be pressed at speed and players have to break their necks to get into the opposition box. I like teams to mix up the playing style, so that the opposition never get comfortable. Players should never be afraid to take risks and not default to tippy-tappy possession based tedium. 

In short, my ideal way of playing was Derby County last night. And it's not like it's a one off. Since Rooney has taken charge we've been inching towards that style with every game. He seems to have achieved exactly what I would have expected from a manager with 20 years experience and 3 promotions. I'm sure McClaren has helped, but this side are more physical and dynamic out of possession and more flexible in attack than McClaren's sides were - so logically Rooney must be the main driver.

It appears that my anti-Rooney stance is now untenable.

Unbelievably - Rooney in

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. It had everything a good post needs with a good beginning middle and ending! 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, RamNut said:

You might like him if he played for us.

I agree he is a prat of the highest order but he is also hugely talented. In football the two things often seem to go together. Charlie george was once considered to be major plonker but what a player! 
I’m reading Alan Hudson’s biography at the moment and that’s a real eye opener. He falls into the same category. 

We could open a whole thread on the merit's of Grealish.

i think he's a bit like Kinkladze, Stan Bowles, Tony Currie etc. as well as Charlie boots and Hudson.

Great individually but as a team player?

Interesting that Southgate prefers Mount to Grealish and Mount is 4years younger.

That i believe is because that Mount is more worth to the team.

3 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

We could open a whole thread on the merit's of Grealish.

i think he's a bit like Kinkladze, Stan Bowles, Tony Currie etc. as well as Charlie boots and Hudson.

Great individually but as a team player?

Interesting that Southgate prefers Mount to Grealish and Mount is 4years younger.

That i believe is because that Mount is more worth to the team.

Grealish is England’s most talented footballer. It will be a crime if Southgate doesn’t pick him. We can accommodate both him and Mount. We have willing grunts in Rice and Henderson. Add Foden and Kane and you’re looking at a team to fear.

2 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

I've voted no, but the only reason I did so is because like fat Frank as soon as someone better comes calling he'll be off

Right here and now he's doing well. But we're kidding ourselves if we think he gives two shizzes about Derby

But Managers aren’t fans, it’s a job, a career like any other job. If someone does well at one employer but then gets the opportunity to move to a bigger company with more prospects and a higher salary a lot will take it. You can’t not appoint someone on the basis that if they do well they will be off....

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I assume we will be having this vote again now, right? Seems fair 

I'll still vote yes. 

If we'd put away our (very) good chances we'd have been coasting again at half-time. The lack of experience in key positions is glaring. 2nd half I thought Cocu was back!

3 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

The season can very quickly turn again if we continue to not score goals

Hasn't it already? We could easily be back in the bottom three after tomorrow's games.

Perhaps a more appropriate comment might have been "the season can very quickly turn again if we could start scoring goals goals regularly" ?

Big belly laughs that you think we're doing badly under Rooney.

We've a striker whose goal-scoring rate is a 'bit low' and no-one else. We created numerous chances today but couldn't quite get there. We looked a bit tired and leggy, but still kept going - should have had a last minute penalty. Only fell to a last minute goal before this. 

Who else could have done better with what we have? 

Still a yes from me, we’re 10x better than we were under Cocu, people are forgetting just how bad we were at times, we were failing to even register a single shot in some games, we had 14 today, yes we need more quality and should’ve finished some of them but we’ve made massive improvements both on and certainly off the ball.

Yes for me still.

If Shinnie’s chance didn’t bobble, the ref saw CKR virtually having his shirt removed, CKR’s header was two inches lower...

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth from certain people on here tonight might have a modicum of credibility if we weren’t making chances. On another night we go in at half time at least two up.

Rooney is the way forward for me. ?

Archived