New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward? 29/12/20

Day

New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Yes for me still.

If Shinnie’s chance didn’t bobble, the ref saw CKR virtually having his shirt removed, CKR’s header was two inches lower...

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth from certain people on here tonight might have a modicum of credibility if we weren’t making chances. On another night we go in at half time at least two up.

Rooney is the way forward for me. ?

Agree.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who else could have done better with what we have? 

I'm sure there are other football managers who could maintain our position in the bottom three / four of the championship.....but as things stand, Wazza sort of fits the bill. Nothing more nothing less. 

I’ve been impressed by his post match thoughts. Think he is fair in most of his assessments. Sees the game simply and articulates his thoughts clearly. He is thoughtful and his playing experience definitely comes through. I think he’ll cope with the Derby job and will have plenty of experienced managers that are willing to lend their advice. He seems to be a liked man within the game 

I think Rooney has done a respectable job and he certainly hasn’t disgraced himself.

But tonight should be a wake up call to one and all.

Despite having a largely positive impact, there is still significant risk attached to keeping Rooney in charge. The risk being that we’ll go down to League One with a collection of hard luck stories.

The cold harsh reality is that we are still very much in danger and the club’s future is at stake. Football is a results business and in our situation particularly, you need someone with an aptitude for getting results, especially in crunch games like last night.

Rooney is still learning and getting to grips with the realities of life as a football manager. You don’t always get the luck, the decisions, or the results you deserve.

In the last nine games, on the whole we have played well, but it would also be fair to say that in at least five of those games we have been cursing our luck and talking about how we didn’t get what we deserved. Is a pattern forming, I wonder?

I can see the good Rooney is doing, but I do still believe we need someone more experienced to see the season out and influence games to make sure we are falling on the right side of those fine margins.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I think Rooney has done a respectable job and he certainly hasn’t disgraced himself.

Despite having a largely positive impact, there is still significant risk attached to keeping Rooney in charge. The risk being that we’ll go down to League One with a collection of hard luck stories.

The cold harsh reality is that we are still very much in danger and the club’s future is at stake. Football is a results business and in our situation particularly, you need someone with an aptitude for getting results, especially in crunch games like last night.

Rooney is still learning and getting to grips with the realities of life as a football manager. You don’t always get the luck, the decisions, or the results you deserve.

In the last nine games, on the whole we have played well, but it would also be fair to say that in at least five of those games we have been cursing our luck and talking about how we didn’t get what we deserved. Is a pattern forming, I wonder?

I can see the good Rooney is doing, but I do still believe we need someone more experienced to see the season out and influence games to make sure we are falling on the right side of those fine margins.

As much as I understand your points, and agree with some of them, I genuinely feel the combination of Rooney & Mac is a positive one. 

I think if we recruit well in January, then we will surge right up that table. I think we’re 2 big signings and 2 squad player signings off becoming a decent force.

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Completely understand your point, but who would you put in charge over Rooney and what do you think an “experienced” manager could do for this team that him and the management team currently aren’t doing?

I think we’d go even further back and upset the apple cart putting another manager in now, they may have different tactics the players need to adapt to once again. They look like they’re enjoying the football under Rooney, make a change and you could get a Sheff Wed Pulis situation where the players/owner dont take to the change and we can’t afford for that to happen where we are right now. The thing that’s missing is a bit of quality to put these chances away, which comes down to recruitment not management. 

I’m sure it’s been obvious to all since the start of the season that we are woefully short of a goal scorer(s). Last night’s lack of goals is just a continuation of the problems we’ve had all season. 

I don’t think Rooney or anyone else has much chance of making significant progress without at least one mobile forward who can score goals. I think we might just about have enough to stay up if nobody comes in but it will be a close call. 

Fingers crossed that there’s a few quid coming our way soon........

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The players are motivated, we're happy with the team selection and the tactics. The defence is now one of the tightest in the league, hardly conceding a shot on target, let alone goals.

So, what could a more experienced manager do with that squad?

The issue, that we're all painfully aware of, is that we're not taking the chances that we've now started creating.

That isn't something that can be fixed by a change of manager.

We need a goalscorer. Rooney, as much as anyone, is likely to attract players to the club. So it's then a question of identifying a target and stumping up the fee.

I don't see why any of this means we need a new experienced manager. Rooney is not doing a lot wrong. Give the guy the job and let's support him.

8 hours ago, Bubbles said:

As much as I understand your points, and agree with some of them, I genuinely feel the combination of Rooney & Mac is a positive one. 

I think if we recruit well in January, then we will surge right up that table. I think we’re 2 big signings and 2 squad player signings off becoming a decent force.

Surge right up the table? To where exactly?  There is a 10 point gap between us in 21st and Cardiff in 15th. We have to be realistic. Our only target for this season is survival and despite the positive nature of Rooney’s time in charge, we are only out of the bottom three on goal difference.

If Rotherham or Forest win today, we’ll be back in the bottom three and we’ll be sweating once again.

What I do know is that come the end of the season we don’t want to be counting the cost of not winning big games like the ones against Wycombe, Coventry and Sheff Wed and dropping precious points at home like we did against Preston and Stoke. It is a distinct possibility if we leave Rooney in charge because he is still learning the art of tactics, substitutions, game management and so on.

Recruit well? Four signings? If we are depending on recruitment to get us out of trouble, then we are playing with fire. We have such a mixed record in the transfer market at the best of times. 

Look at the current situation. We are in a relegation battle which is not necessarily going to appeal to new signings. The takeover is still not complete and there seems to be no real clarity in our plans moving forward. We have no financial certainty or stability as a result, meaning there will be knock on effects such as players not being paid on time, again something that won’t appeal to new signings.

We don’t have a permanent manager and the one we do have is not technically qualified for the job and he is overseeing his very first transfer window in a division he has only managed in for a matter of weeks and at such a pivotal time for the club. We are also operating at a time when transfer business is adversely affected by COVID and Brexit regulations. 

It’s the worst possible time to be relying on or expecting good recruitment. Surely with all that uncertainty hanging over us, the odds of us making those key signings seem slim to none?

Yes, we are crying out for a goalscorer and a creative player. But it was the case in July and we didn’t properly address it. Why will this window be different with less time and all of the uncertainty and additional challenges in place?

For me, the more pertinent question would be: why do we need 3-4 signings when we can’t seem get the absolute best out of the likes of Ibe, Lawrence, Waghorn, Holmes and Sibley as it is?

I think the focus should be on getting a manager in place and getting the takeover finalised and working from there.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

For me, the more pertinent question would be: why do we need 3-4 signings when we can’t seem get the absolute best out of the likes of Ibe, Lawrence, Waghorn, Holmes and Sibley as it is?

I think the focus should be on getting a manager in place and getting the takeover finalised and working from there.

You base your 'new manager' cry on not being able to get the best out of:

Waghorn - banned, when according to some he looked good on the right

Lawrence - injured, just when looking good on the right

Ibe - not 'fit' for whatever reason

Holmes - as inconsistent as ever - do not tell me he was consistent under Lampard, he wasn't

Sibley- young, struggling to adjust

So another manager would get a silk purse out of them! ?

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

The players are motivated, we're happy with the team selection and the tactics. The defence is now one of the tightest in the league, hardly conceding a shot on target, let alone goals.

The issue, that we're all painfully aware of, is that we're not taking the chances that we've now started creating.

We need a goalscorer. Rooney, as much as anyone, is likely to attract players to the club. So it's then a question of identifying a target and stumping up the fee.

I don't see why any of this means we need a new experienced manager. Rooney is not doing a lot wrong. Give the guy the job and let's support him.

Bear in mind, at one time the players were motivated under Cocu. Bear in mind, at one time, Cocu was getting team selection, tactics, team structure and organisation right.

Look at how long that lasted and how quickly our fortunes turned.

Just because the team have improved under Rooney doesn’t necessarily mean we will be able to sustain it.

Just because Rooney has done well in trying circumstances doesn’t mean an experienced manager or coach couldn’t do even better.

We are staking the entire club’s future on someone with fewer than 10 games of managerial experience and less than a year of tangible experience of football in this division. Does that strike you as particularly sensible?

We have picked up 13 points from 27 - that’s 14 points we have missed out on. 13 from 33 and 20 points lost if you include the committee experiment. 

You say Rooney has done very little wrong but clearly by that measure there is plenty of room for improvement, especially when seven of those points lost came against teams who would have been considered direct relegation rivals at the time.

Yes, we need a goalscorer, but the chances of the club delivering on that don’t seem particularly great given the current state of play. 

In which case, we need a manager who can get the absolute most out of this group of players (even the difficult cases like Lawrence, Holmes, Ibe and Waghorn) and whose decision making will see the team deliver in crunch moments. 

Now you could be right and that could be Rooney, but the evidence isn’t overwhelming at the moment.

29 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Bear in mind, at one time the players were motivated under Cocu. Bear in mind, at one time, Cocu was getting team selection, tactics, team structure and organisation right.

Look at how long that lasted and how quickly our fortunes turned.

Just because the team have improved under Rooney doesn’t necessarily mean we will be able to sustain it.

Just because Rooney has done well in trying circumstances doesn’t mean an experienced manager or coach couldn’t do even better.

We are staking the entire club’s future on someone with fewer than 10 games of managerial experience and less than a year of tangible experience of football in this division. Does that strike you as particularly sensible?

We have picked up 13 points from 27 - that’s 14 points we have missed out on. 13 from 33 and 20 points lost if you include the committee experiment. 

You say Rooney has done very little wrong but clearly by that measure there is plenty of room for improvement, especially when seven of those points lost came against teams who would have been considered direct relegation rivals at the time.

Yes, we need a goalscorer, but the chances of the club delivering on that don’t seem particularly great given the current state of play. 

In which case, we need a manager who can get the absolute most out of this group of players (even the difficult cases like Lawrence, Holmes, Ibe and Waghorn) and whose decision making will see the team deliver in crunch moments. 

Now you could be right and that could be Rooney, but the evidence isn’t overwhelming at the moment.

Just curious.... Who would you like?

Howe? Cook? Pardew? Hughes? Pullis? McClaren? Cowley?

5 hours ago, YouRams said:

Completely understand your point, but who would you put in charge over Rooney and what do you think an “experienced” manager could do for this team that him and the management team currently aren’t doing

Win more than three of their first ten games, perhaps? ? 

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

This is great. Sounds like we're doing brilliantly and Rooney is doing an excellent job...

...Just had a look at the table though and it appears we are still in the bottom three? Hmm. Weird that. 

Archived