New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward? 29/12/20

Day

New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I’ll be voting no on every poll that asks this question because how he came to be in this position in the first place just doesn’t sit right with me at all.

Doesn’t matter how many wins, draws or defeats pass - the manner in which Rooney was brought to this club and jumped/pushed into his manager’s grave just makes me feel grim. 

And just to be clear: I don’t blame Rooney personally for this. I don’t dislike him. But I really dislike the way this has all played out and he is now part of a leadership structure at this club that I just do not like anymore.

Sad that I feel that way but I just don’t seem to be able to get past it.

I fully understand this - I felt it too.

As Cocu's biggest fan/defender, I didn't like the way Rooney was brought into the club in the first place, then didn't appear to be throwing himself into playing post lockdown and then there was the 'leak' that Rooney would be the next manager.

However, despite the bad taste in my mouth, I was one of the early ones to get on board with Rooney. In fact, I was saying it before the match at Millwall, so before the main upturn in results.

Part of that was 'by default'; I didn't want Allardyce, Hughton, Howe or any of that brigade. But, it was also because, listening closely to the interviews, I bought into what Rooney was saying, his philosophy.

Anyhow, I do think a lot of the subsequent upturn is due to the return to full fitness of Bielik and Kazim-Richards. Nevertheless, it's clear that the tactics are more pragmatic and attack minded than under Cocu. Even more obvious is the great team spirit and the energy shown by the players.

So, despite how it came about, I very much hope that Rooney gets the gig. COYR ?

Rooney has done a good job so far, but I think it’s perfectly normal to still have doubts.

It’s only eight games, after all. People fell into the same trap under Cocu and got all misty eyed when we hit form for 10-15 games last season, and look how sharply we declined from there.

I think it’s fair to acknowledge the good Rooney has done. We look solid, we look harder to beat, we look more organised, we look more spirited, we look more positive. No one can argue with that, not even me.

But with the way tonight’s results have gone, you would have to say now is not the time for Rooney or anyone at the club to be patting themselves on the back at a job well done.

There is still so much work to be done and so much for Rooney and the boys to prove. The next few games will be huge in relation to his prospects.

Tonight he and the boys laid down a marker, but we have to back it up. No good winning 4-0 tonight then losing 1-0 on Friday and drawing 0-0 at home to Rotherham in a few weeks.

I understand the excitement but think it is very easy to get carried away because of just how bad we were under Cocu towards the end of his tenure.

If we put the teams around us to the sword and create some genuine distance between us and the bottom three in the next 3-4 games, then absolutely Rooney would deserve the job and the full support of everyone at the club.

33 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I’ll be voting no on every poll that asks this question because how he came to be in this position in the first place just doesn’t sit right with me at all.

Doesn’t matter how many wins, draws or defeats pass - the manner in which Rooney was brought to this club and jumped/pushed into his manager’s grave just makes me feel grim. 

And just to be clear: I don’t blame Rooney personally for this. I don’t dislike him. But I really dislike the way this has all played out and he is now part of a leadership structure at this club that I just do not like anymore.

Sad that I feel that way but I just don’t seem to be able to get past it.

Yep, you and I have discussed this privately and I agree with your summary. It still leaves a bad taste for me too but I guess I'm at a point where I'm just going to let it go. We do seem to be doing really well now and after a horrible 12 months, I'm going to set my gripes aside and enjoy the ride.

I too still feel desperately sorry for Cocu but alas, he's gone now. I do wonder what he must be feeling watching the players' energy and commitment now and remain uncertain as to what it was that happened after that great run of form last season. All of that notwithstanding, the job looks Rooney's to keep for now so I'll not let it spoil my enjoyment of nights like tonight.

I should also say that I fully respect your stance but my point was not a criticism, just genuine surprise that there was still some doubt, so I hope you did not take offence where none was intended! 

Problem with Rooney is the problem you expect .  One defeat in a month and the  Man Utd hordes are out on twitter demanding he be given a job.  More United fans appearing than Derby fans with the usual tripe of practising at Derby to go to them,  look at him next year, get him as no 2, goat can't wait till he's at Carrington  ad nauseum.  Even Everton chip in occasionally.

Problem with that is we all  know he played there for years, his wages would be higher, he lives down the road and his son is at the academy .  If he was offered a job with the U23'S he'd probably be off tomorrow. Even if he gets the job and does awful he'll be offered something there.  Lampard 2. 

28 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yep, you and I have discussed this privately and I agree with your summary. It still leaves a bad taste for me too but I guess I'm at a point where I'm just going to let it go. We do seem to be doing really well now and after a horrible 12 months, I'm going to set my gripes aside and enjoy the ride.

I too still feel desperately sorry for Cocu but alas, he's gone now. I do wonder what he must be feeling watching the players' energy and commitment now and remain uncertain as to what it was that happened after that great run of form last season. All of that notwithstanding, the job looks Rooney's to keep for now so I'll not let it spoil my enjoyment of nights like tonight.

I should also say that I fully respect your stance but my point was not a criticism, just genuine surprise that there was still some doubt, so I hope you did not take offence where none was intended! 

No offence taken at all, fella ?

All good points!

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Problem with Rooney is the problem you expect .  One defeat in a month and the  Man Utd hordes are out on twitter demanding he be given a job.  More United fans appearing than Derby fans with the usual tripe of practising at Derby to go to them,  look at him next year, get him as no 2, goat can't wait till he's at Carrington  ad nauseum.  Even Everton chip in occasionally.

Problem with that is we all  know he played there for years, his wages would be higher, he lives down the road and his son is at the academy .  If he was offered a job with the U23'S he'd probably be off tomorrow. Even if he gets the job and does awful he'll be offered something there.  Lampard 2. 

With respect, I think you're misguided in regards to the esteem Rooney is held in amongst Man Utd fans, certainly amongst the hardcore vocal supporters.

Frank was pretty much universally loved by the Chelsea support, and indeed spent a year or so knocking around the academy there before taking the job with us.

I just don't get the impression that Rooney is as well thought of amongst the proper Man Utd fans, despite his record breaking spell as a player.

He held them over a barrel once or twice over contract renewals, fell out with Fergie more than once, and seems to be liked and respected, rather than loved by the faithful up there.

When Frank took over here, Chelsea fans took quite the interest in how he did, and wished him well here as a first step to eventually taking the helm at Stamford Bridge. They got that wish sooner than they thought possible, but it was always Frank's endgame to be Chelsea manager.

Timing, Chelsea's transfer ban and Sarri being persued by a top Italian club conspired to give an ultimately unsuccessful Championship manager a shot at a top 4 club, where if he wasnt considered a club legend he otherwise wouldn't have dreamed of.

If we were to appoint Rooney,and his next appointment be the Man Utd job, I think it's safe to say we'd be snapping on the heels of the PL top 6, at the very least.

I'd take that, and wish him all the best.

It’s hard not to say yes after a 4-0 win but.....

I think cocu lost the plot by constantly chopping and changing personnel and formation. We were on about Plan J by the time he left. The final four games just summed it up - a different central defence in every game.  The players must have totally lost faith in him.

Ignoring the two games selected by committee, rooney has picked three ever presents, Marshall, Clarke, and CKR and seems to have settled on 433. However he has chopped and changed quite a bit too. In his first game he dropped all the youngsters and since then has made:

• 7 changes
  • 6 changes
  • 1 change
  • 7 changes
  • 4 changes
  • 0 changes
  • 3 changes

thats still a lot of changes. hopefully things settle down, we give the team a chance to gel, and start to achieve some consistent good form.

Some well balanced arguments both for and against for Rooney on here. 

I've been in the squinting hard at his personal conduct camp, but in the absence of an attractive alternative emerging am tending towards a "yes" for 3 main reasons

1) letting go of whatever happened with the Cocu regime. I'll guess we'll never get the full story but even an old grouch like me moves on eventually. 

2) If we can put our structure around him then we can perhaps protect ourselves from the Utd risk. Frank came with his own men and them leaving en masse set us back. If we could at last put in a Head Coach/Sporting Director type arrangement with checks and balances then that's fine. 

3) Proper succession planning by keeping Rosenior around and developing him - to his credit, Rooney seems to be happy to be his own man and no sign of him wanting to bring in all his chums. If the right deal can be struck with all parties then give him a decent shot. He will want and we should be ready to think in terms of a 2-3 year deal. 

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

It’s hard not to say yes after a 4-0 win but.....

I think cocu lost the plot by constantly chopping and changing personnel and formation. We were on about Plan J by the time he left. The final four games just summed it up - a different central defence in every game.  The players must have totally lost faith in him.

Ignoring the two games selected by committee, rooney has picked three ever presents, Marshall, Clarke, and CKR and seems to have settled on 433. However he has chopped and changed quite a bit too. In his first game he dropped all the youngsters and since then has made:

• 7 changes
  • 6 changes
  • 1 change
  • 7 changes
  • 4 changes
  • 0 changes
  • 3 changes

thats still a lot of changes. hopefully things settle down, we give the team a chance to gel, and start to achieve some consistent good form.

The key ingredient & departure with Cocu was CKR. Guess we'll never truly know how close to fitness Kazim was in Sep/Oct but that lack of forward focal point meant that everything else we did on the pitch (and there were some good displays) ultimately meant little as we had no platform up top to convert good play into goals. That in turn put considerable pressure on the defence..one mistake & we'd inevitably lose.

Huddersfield away stood out for me with Cocu. He had 3 forwards including CKR all on the bench, instead preferring a 'false 9'. The opposition were very limited, we had plenty of the play but it was all in front of them & we didnt land a punch at all. A lot was made of shocking delivery that night but there really wasnt much to aim at. Rooney by contrast correctly identified CKR's potential importance & got him on the pitch immediately...deserves a lot of credit for that.

Do take your point about the changes elsewhere. Playing Evans as a DM was not a good call nor was Holmes as RW. Not unreasonable as a newbie to try combinations out though & he seems to have found a very decent XI. Bielik's emergence & not having to shoehorn himself in has massively helped this process also.

10 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Well this is weird. Rooney was a 25/1 on to be named manager a week back and yet today, despite the result, there's been a flood of cash for Terry. With candidates having been interviewed this week, is this more meaningful than the earlier fluctuations? I think there'd be uproar now and rightly so were Wazza to be passed over...

image.png.4051bd67e4c77d21e37de7f7f2ed568e.png

The big concern for me in this is...we have brought in Villas head Physio, I will be mighty P issed off if Terry gets the job ?

Archived