New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward? 29/12/20

Day

New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is great. Sounds like we're doing brilliantly and Rooney is doing an excellent job...

...Just had a look at the table though and it appears we are still in the bottom three? Hmm. Weird that. 

Not weird at all.

I understand Mel asked Klopp and Pep if they fancied a challenge but they couldn't guarantee how many games they'd win either. Mel wasn't impressed and told them they needn't attend interview.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Not weird at all.

I understand Mel asked Klopp and Pep if they fancied a challenge but they couldn't guarantee how many games they'd win either. Mel wasn't impressed and told them they needn't attend interview.

Your claim that literally no other manager could do better with this side than Rooney is potentially the maddest of all the takes on here, by the way.

Your devotion to Rooney is admirable in the same way that I admire the way that North Korean lady reads the news! ? 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Your claim that literally no other manager could do better with this side than Rooney is potentially the maddest of all the takes on here, by the way.

You say Rooney can't do it based on the fact he's actually doing it, just not doing it well enough. You can't prove any other manager would do better - however I can prove Rooney is improving us.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You say Rooney can't do it based on the fact he's actually doing it, just not doing it well enough. You can't prove any other manager would do better - however I can prove Rooney is improving us.

"You claim that Rooney is not a divine being sent to Earth by God to carry Derby to the Premier League, but I say that you CAN NOT PROVE that he is NOT a divine being sent to Earth by God to carry Derby to the Premier League!"

North Korean News Reader.jpg

"You claim that Rooney is not a divine being sent to Earth by God to carry Derby to the Premier League, but I say that you CAN NOT PROVE that he is NOT a divine being sent to Earth by God to carry Derby to the Premier League!"

North Korean News Reader.jpg

See, pointless init. ?

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You base your 'new manager' cry on not being able to get the best out of:

Waghorn - banned, when according to some he looked good on the right

Lawrence - injured, just when looking good on the right

Ibe - not 'fit' for whatever reason

Holmes - as inconsistent as ever - do not tell me he was consistent under Lampard, he wasn't

Sibley- young, struggling to adjust

So another manager would get a silk purse out of them! ?

Why wasn't Cocu afforded the same trail of thought? 

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Why wasn't Cocu afforded the same trail of thought? 

Cos he set us up to play in a dogpoo manner. We were never going anywhere in the Championship other than down under Cocu.

Edit: A bit like with Clarke, Cocu didn't understand the rhythm of the Championship! ? 

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is great. Sounds like we're doing brilliantly and Rooney is doing an excellent job...

...Just had a look at the table though and it appears we are still in the bottom three? Hmm. Weird that. 

So we don't ever consider context? 

I know we're Derby but everything isn't simply black and white.

There are a series of events and circumstances that lead to any particular moment in time.

A lot wanted Allardyce but, in his second game at WBA, they lost 0-5 at home to Leeds. Does not compute, does not compute derrr.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Sorry, Roy. You know I love you really. But debating Rooney with you is a bit like debating the merits of Scientology with L. Ron Hubbard.

You are unable to see Rooney's merits, only the potential pitfalls. But those pitfalls are there with any new manager. 

rooney is doing okay, not great. he doesnt have us scoring goals despite the birmingham anomoly. this is key to any team climbing the table. when he changes this he is doing a good job

we still look dull and lifeless in most games, the only difference between rooney and cocu so far is we are lumping it up to kazim

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

So we don't ever consider context? 

I know we're Derby but everything isn't simply black and white.

There are a series of events and circumstances that lead to any particular moment in time.

A lot wanted Allardyce but, in his second game at WBA, they lost 0-5 at home to Leeds. Does not compute, does not compute derrr.

We failed to beat Wycombe, Coventry, Preston, QPR, Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday during this quite astonishing "revolution" and yet some on this forum believe no other manager around could do a better job than Wayne Rooney. Does not compute, etc etc. 

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

...and yet some on this forum believe no other manager around could do a better job than Wayne Rooney.

See, you're deliberately mis-interpreting what most fans support of Rooney means. List managers that you think would come to Derby and say how they'd do better with the current squad and then I will be able to fully assess your statement.

I do not believe no other manager could do a better job than Wayne Rooney. However as I said Klopp and Poch are already busy!

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

We failed to beat Wycombe, Coventry, Preston, QPR, Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday during this quite astonishing "revolution" and yet some on this forum believe no other manager around could do a better job than Wayne Rooney. Does not compute, etc etc. 

So same question to you as I put to @Jourdan..... Which manager do you think would be doing better with this squad?

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

So same question to you as I put to @Jourdan..... Which manager do you think would be doing better with this squad?

I could probably list a dozen or so managers that I personally think would do a better job than Wayne Rooney, but honestly, what's the point? As many posters have said before, any managerial appointment is a gamble. My opinion will be different to yours, to @RoyMac5, to Mel Morris, etc etc.

At the end of the day though, it's not my job to pick the right manager. It's the owners. All I can do as a fan is assess his choices, and so far, the novice he has put in charge of a team fighting for survival has failed to beat any of the teams around them, picking up three wins from ten games, two of which coming against sides (Birmingham and Millwall) who put in performances almost as bad as the one we put in against Blackburn Rovers.

If this is a what constitutes a revolution then I need to go back to University. 

42 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Win more than three of their first ten games, perhaps? ? 

With the players at his disposal I don’t think another manager could do much more than he’s done, we were in a proper rut that’s been massively improved, fine margins in a couple of the losses that could’ve easily been wins.

Just now, YouRams said:

With the players at his disposal I don’t think another manager could do much more than he’s done

Why? I keep seeing this and I don't understand what the evidence behind this is.

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

we were in a proper rut that’s been massively improved

We've gone from being in the relegation zone, to being in the relegation zone. I don't think that's a massive improvement, personally!

2 minutes ago, YouRams said:

fine margins in a couple of the losses that could’ve easily been wins

I get the feeling we might end up cursing fine margins and referees all the way to League One at this rate.

I see what you're saying, and I don't mean to come across as negative as I probably am doing. I'm just really frustrated by the current situation and am struggling to understand some of the spin. 

Why? I keep seeing this and I don't understand what the evidence behind this is.

What manager?

Yes we could all list managers that might do better than Wayne, but realistic names that would come here? That's the point.

22 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

You asked the same question when Cocu was here, and Rooney himself quickly dispelled the idea of the players being the problem.

So if Rooney, a complete rookie, has coaxed an improvement from this group, why would a manager with good pedigree and knowledge of EFL football be incapable of taking it further?

If you are happy with the direction we are going in, fair enough. Three wins and four draws from nine is respectable, but personally I feel if we are going to steer clear of trouble, we will need something more.

I think there are numerous managers - Cook, Cooper, Jones, Howe, Jokanovic for example - that would be better positioned not only to get us out of trouble but to take us forward beyond May.

But the way things are going, we have to hope Rooney learns quickly and preserves our status in this division, but personally it’s not something I’d bet on.

Archived