Return of the Mac

rynny

10 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I thought whitbread was ok, arbentosa didn't work but we made money 

Whitbread was actually signed by Rush after Clough left but before McLaren arrived, so don't think we count him as McLarens. Seem to remember he started in thr 4-4 draw against Ipswich (may have even scored) 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

So not fit to be Manager but you’re happy if he takes training sessions as still a brilliant coach ? 
Sounds like you’ve just described exactly what we need right now with someone else being the Technical Director

If this takeover leads to success. Mel will be a major hero for organising it. So hold fire and let Mel do his best with our cooperation. COYR

6 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Go onto you tube and listen to Benjamin Bloom talking about this appointment. You will hear more sense in twenty five minutes than in everything written here today. 

Good listen, suggest Stevie is a short team fix between take over but hope it doesn’t keep dragging out now

32 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

So not fit to be Manager but you’re happy if he takes training sessions as still a brilliant coach ? 
Sounds like you’ve just described exactly what we need right now with someone else being the Technical Director

Ah I see, I think I’ve not explained my point fully.

I don’t think he can be the figure head of the club (manager) any more because he’s too divisive within the fanbase. Half of the fans idolise him, half don’t want him anywhere near us. You cant have half of PP ready to stab your manager in the back at the first sign of trouble.

If McClaren was a blank slate, his CV and mantra would line up really well. He’s still a top class coach at this level, widely known his training sessions are of a high standard and he improves players. But not appropriate as manager anymore, he’s better off without the scrutiny that job brings.

He’s clearly someone talented to have at the club to guide the ownership/new manager and I’m very happy he’s involved behind the scenes.

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It was a good listen, but I have a feeling Mac is a little more long term.

You’d hope so, if it was just for now until the take over goes through it wouldn’t be long surely as it’s suppose to be imminent 

54 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Go onto you tube and listen to Benjamin Bloom talking about this appointment. You will hear more sense in twenty five minutes than in everything written here today. 

Sounds like a gobshite who hasn't a clue to me.

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

No that’s not correct he hardly signed any duds really Compared to his good performers; here’s his list

Thorne - tragicly broken, but was majestic that first season. I've still not forgiven Mick M. and Ipswitch.

Wisdom - solid RB in that team. So good we brought him back.

Butland - was OK and was a short term loan, but wasn't great

Dawkins - underrated

Ince - very good

Lingard - can GTF for all he did in a Derby shirt. Thought we were benieth him and it showed as the team self estructed around him. Has been OK for ManU i guess. But him coming in was linked to this next guy

Ibe - Was so good Liverpool took him ack and started him, leaving us in the lurch just before we played forest. Hate scousers. So good we brought him back despite him having the squits.

Bent - was a good signing, although perhaps extending his contract we could've done without.

Mascarell - Lovely skilled player, got a broken ankle and slated for not being george thorne.

Shotton - meh

Christie - meh, but better then Shotton

Keane - did he play any games for us?

bamford - one of the best. Although he sadly grew up to be an utter bamford at bamford clubs like Boro and Leeds. You can take the player out the city ground.....bamfords.

all above performed well for Mac in his systems. 

Couple flops below but hardly one good one bad. Every manager since has struggle with recruitment, even Lampard who brought some great signings. 

Best - yeah, not great

whitbread - just a sicknote i remember

Arbentuso - was just a wrong signing, went back to what he's good at in Spain and was good again.

De Sart - a bit rubbish, was young at the time.

I think it's far more a mixed bag myself. What I remember was we did get a far better class of loan payer than we ever would've done under the GSE/Nigel Clough austerity football. Wisdom, Ibe, Dawkins, Thorne, Bamford, Ince were all great loans.

At the time, I think Sam Rush had a big influence over signings and we'd gone from free or very cheap signings to "we're going to give this a real go" was a complete turnaround from the five previous years.

Signing Dave Nugent because Fulham wouldn't let us have Martin back wasn't amazing.

Overall not something to criticise him for, there were some gems in there, but I wouldn't add it as particually his strong suit either. Just your average manager some good uns some flops - always seemed to want technically skilled players ad be good at spotting them.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't understand the logic of splashing millions of pounds on the playing squad then scrimping on the manager - if Rooney comes in will be the third rookie manager under Mel Morris' reign. 

Except we paid Clement £2m per year and Lampard £1.5m per year, and I expect Rooney would get something similar. Not exactly scrimping which means surely we can get better?

1 hour ago, Rambalin said:

Went in thinking I wouldn’t like him, but he turned me round. Will keep tabs on the channel

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Went in thinking I wouldn’t like him, but he turned me round. Will keep tabs on the channel

Did he start off moaning like an old man, repeating loads of tired, out-dated cliches, then gradually start to come up with new, fresh ideas with a youthful optimism for the future?

24 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Did he start off moaning like an old man, repeating loads of tired, out-dated cliches, then gradually start to come up with new, fresh ideas with a youthful optimism for the future?

No I just didn’t like his shirt ?

(Lovely go betweens ref earlier btw!)

I’m slightly confused by this. McClaren, in consultation with the new owners, has been appointed advisor/technical director but the technical director part could be binned off once they take over, even though the new owners have agreed it?? We’re a mess of a club at the moment. As I’m sure others have alluded to, can’t imagine an experienced ‘big name’ coming in now. 

9 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Absolutely delighted with that.

I’ve been saying for a while McClaren is no longer fit to be a manager at a Derby but can definitely still contribute to the club in a different role. Can’t claim to know what a technical director specifically does but if he’s taking a few training sessions then that’s brilliant news, still one of the best coaches going at this level.

Also, it’s fine to be sentimental about this. Derby is McClaren’s home! Made his name here, understands the club and has been present for a lot of our best moments the past 25 years. Would have been really worried if they’d made him manager but a role like this is exactly what you want.

Good decision by a new board that will need a bit of guidance imo

Agreed. Hope it turns out well. I always find it a bit of a cringe moment when our Macca gets the boot for one reason or another...

Archived