Return of the Mac

rynny

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely delighted with that.

I’ve been saying for a while McClaren is no longer fit to be a manager at a Derby but can definitely still contribute to the club in a different role. Can’t claim to know what a technical director specifically does but if he’s taking a few training sessions then that’s brilliant news, still one of the best coaches going at this level.

Also, it’s fine to be sentimental about this. Derby is McClaren’s home! Made his name here, understands the club and has been present for a lot of our best moments the past 25 years. Would have been really worried if they’d made him manager but a role like this is exactly what you want.

Good decision by a new board that will need a bit of guidance imo

From what I gather, his responsibilities would be connected to overseeing the appointment and development of the coaching staff, kind of like a director of football but with a staff focus rather than players.

Does this mean it’s more likely to be Rooney? I can’t see a manager with experience like Allardyce, Howe etc. really ‘needing’ someone of that role. It would also be less of a ‘step down’ for Mac who I doubt would ever really accept an assistant manager title.

Mac back on board with his contacts and experience is obviously a good thing. If his joint role means he’ll be out on the training ground organising us even better. If this means it’s Rooney as manager it’s a helluva risk to be taking in our position. 

Archived