Return of the Mac

rynny

5 hours ago, rynny said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-mcclaren-blasts-newcastle-link-5571513.amp

A selection of the quotes;

Asked if he intended to still be in charge at the iPro Stadium at the start of the 2015/16 campaign, the 53-year-old said: "I am contracted to Derby County, so yes. I have got a contract here for the next two years after this and I hope to honour that contract. 

"But this is newspapers and this is what they do, they speculate. At the present moment Newcastle doesn't interest me, I am not thinking about that. I am thinking solely of Derby."

The mirror ... cmon ur better than that lol 

im telling u now this place was in meltdown over his inability to put the rumours and talk to bed 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think it's far more a mixed bag myself. What I remember was we did get a far better class of loan payer than we ever would've done under the GSE/Nigel Clough austerity football. Wisdom, Ibe, Dawkins, Thorne, Bamford, Ince were all great loans.

At the time, I think Sam Rush had a big influence over signings and we'd gone from free or very cheap signings to "we're going to give this a real go" was a complete turnaround from the five previous years.

Signing Dave Nugent because Fulham wouldn't let us have Martin back wasn't amazing.

Overall not something to criticise him for, there were some gems in there, but I wouldn't add it as particually his strong suit either. Just your average manager some good uns some flops - always seemed to want technically skilled players ad be good at spotting them.

My point is all of those players didn’t cost an arm and a leg as either Mac had the contacts to get the loans in that we couldn’t attract with Clough before. We then signed them cheap if they were good... I think Ince cost 3.5m as he was out of favour at his club. He picked up Dawkins that not many would have seen to improve the squad. 
Shotton as bad as he could be, played well when he came in as cover, he was never great but he didn’t cost loads. He never spent loads on players and they always seemed to have an impact to either keep the team competitive for positions or staring roles. 
I just couldn’t see him spending 5 million on a butterflied or Johnson etc. 

I do think he and nigel Clough recruitment In the last 10 years was the best overall value for money for the club. Looking through that list of players I might be wrong but on transfer fees alone we may have even made a profit....

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Except we paid Clement £2m per year and Lampard £1.5m per year, and I expect Rooney would get something similar. Not exactly scrimping which means surely we can get better?

Yes. Definitely better options out there. 

I’ve said on a few other posts that, although Steve M is a long term liability (great winning run, but then fall away by the end of the season) I think he could take our current squad, like he did with Cloughs and turn it into something good. 

what he did the first time round was allow the players to have freedom and no fear and we could really do with some of that right now.

if he’s a ‘technical director’ or just someone to hold our current/future managers hand and show them how to play with their balls on fire (ahem) then I’m all for it.

Can anyone really picture McClaren say in an office at Moor Farm watching training through the CCTV/Drone and not wanting desperately to be out on the field running the training?

Its genuinely impossible. He’s a coach that works and gets players better. There is no way he will be sat in an office.

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Can anyone really picture McClaren say in an office at Moor Farm watching training through the CCTV/Drone and not wanting desperately to be out on the field running the training?

Its genuinely impossible. He’s a coach that works and gets players better. There is no way he will be sat in an office.

No I can't see him sitting and watching on as  Wazza and LR cluelessly muddle through another training session. This is perhaps more about getting an interim solution to try and win some games while the takeover drags on. After the takeover bedding in period, the new owners will want to bring in their own people (with Derby preferably not rooted at the foot of the ch'ship). So Mac has probably agreed to do whatever is required, on a short term basis with a possible (but not probable) longer term arrangement, should it suit the new owners & new manager etc. 

36 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

The mirror ... cmon ur better than that lol 

im telling u now this place was in meltdown over his inability to put the rumours and talk to bed 

confused wait what GIF

I mean you are dismissing McClaren's own words because the Mirror has printed them? 

There were posters that were doing exactly what you are now, creating something out of nothing. There were many posters, myself included, that kept repeating what he was saying. 

11 minutes ago, europia said:

No I can't see him sitting and watching on as  Wazza and LR cluelessly muddle through another training session. This is perhaps more about getting an interim solution to try and win some games while the takeover drags on. After the takeover bedding in period, the new owners will want to bring in their own people (with Derby preferably not rooted at the foot of the ch'ship). So Mac has probably agreed to do whatever is required, on a short term basis with a possible (but not probable) longer term arrangement, should it suit the new owners & new manager etc. 

Yep, that’s how I see it ?

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

confused wait what GIF

I mean you are dismissing McClaren's own words because the Mirror has printed them? 

There were posters that were doing exactly what you are now, creating something out of nothing. There were many posters, myself included, that kept repeating what he was saying. 

It wasn’t just in the Mirror, I heard him say it on the radio, it was in the DET. He committed to Derby.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

So if Mac is now director of football does that mean he is above the manager? like Ed Woodward at Man Utd?

He is not Director of Football. His principal role is to offer advice and support to the new incoming owner. His role may be temporary.

39 minutes ago, rynny said:

confused wait what GIF

Sorry I remember it very differently buddy

It was spoke about umpteen times on radio Derby Asti how it was probably effecting the dressing room mandatory lengths on here 

something out of nothing ??

it totally derailed our season 

3 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Whitbread was actually signed by Rush after Clough left but before McLaren arrived, so don't think we count him as McLarens. Seem to remember he started in thr 4-4 draw against Ipswich (may have even scored) 

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how many signings from the period of Rush taking to him leaving were entirely down to the manager's involved. Or at least the reason for the deals being so.... wasteful.

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

sorry got that slightly wrong, but he is technical director so does that make him above the manager or head coach? 

I don't think I we quite know what the role fully entails yet other than by assisting in keeping the team up,scoring actual goals and improving our football which I'm sure is the main reason behind his appointment.

Archived