Return of the Mac

rynny

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a quick flick through the last two hours of excitement. I am amazed at how many think his job might involve training and dug out responsibilities? If we select a younger, less experienced manager of course he will be available to offer counsel, but please read what the club says in its statement:

McClaren has agreed a contract to act as an advisor to the board with immediate effect. In this capacity he will assume the role and duties of both advisor and Technical Director, a position which has been identified by agreement between Mel Morris and Derventio Holdings as important to the future of the club.

Nobody has seen the job description, and I suspect given our club one hasn’t been typed yet, but it strikes me that his position is more related to offering guidance and helping shape strategy for the club’s future owners on the start of their journey (hopefully with Morris taking a complete back seat). I think he will almost certainly be in a suit rather than a tracksuit. The statement does not seem either to suggest he will have a ‘Director of Football’ brief. As likely that he will have as much input into player acquisition strategy as our new manager, Darren Wassall and Joe McClaren.

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I am at the crossroads of all my emotions. It definitely means that we're about to appoint a manager with little to no experience, Terry or Rooney, with McClaren making sure they don't completely poo the bed. 

I really am struggling to have an opinion. I really don't know how this will play out, but I'm a big fan of McClaren in any capacity. He's always done a good job here, including his last stint where he shouldn't have been sacked. Mac 1 and Mac 2 are the best performing managerial periods for this club (and Billy Davies) since Brian Clough in terms of win percentage. 

I'd give a kidney to see some of that football again, I really would. 

I wouldn't. I only have one ?

Interesting to note that McClaren is essentially taking over quite a few areas that were under Cocu’s remit as head coach.

I do wonder whether a bit of feedback was given that Cocu was overloaded and that they need someone to take care of the development/club identity stuff so the head coach can focus on purely on the first team. 

Derby are destined to keep hiring and firing McClaren over and over again forever.

This is Mac 3, but I can see this having as many sequels as Rocky.

Mac: The Innocent Climb

Mac II: Return of the Mack

Mac III: This Time It's Technical

Mac IV: Mac in Space

Mac V: The Mac Strikes Back

Mac VI: Mac in Manhattan

Mac VII: Mac in the 'Hood

And so on

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Derby are destined to keep hiring and firing McClaren over and over again forever.

And so on

Mac 32- League 1 Boogaloo

2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think Stephen Pearce’s interview is telling. He says Steve’s qualifications will be invaluable. So who might they appoint who does not have the qualifications I wonder? 

I think he is alluding to Schteve's recent quals in Football Directorship. . .

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

nothings to say having an experienced manager on hand would do any better. In all honesty, deep down we know we aren't in trouble. I don't believe we will be near the relegation zone come end of the season. We need tweaking to become more of an attacking threat rather than over cautious. 

In denial? 

24 minutes ago, Tombo said:

And so on

It's actually Mac V this time.

You missed out Mac I: The Early Years and Mac II: Landed with the Eagle

27 minutes ago, Tombo said:

And so on

Mac in the habit??

1 hour ago, RedSox said:

Sadly mate, I think this reflects where we are as a club these days.  We are probably seen as a basket case by many top new manager names and so we are likely to have to make our way with a novice under guidance from a DoF.  In this scenario, maybe SM is as good as we can hope for.  Who knows, it might actually work and if not, he could be a stop-gap 1st team coach whilst the search starts all over again.....I've given up second guessing what is going on!

Hi mate hope you’re well bud.....yep I get what you’re saying but just feels like a mess at the moment I don’t think it’s healthy having so many opinions and not one person at the helm ....I wouldn’t have minded Mac just to help out until the end of the season even but as a coach which is what he’s good at ....

It’s an omen!

It’s the fifth time he’s been here; and as the old nursery rhyme goes:

The MACPIE

‘One be for sorrow (he wasn’t great as a player for us first time he was here)

Two for joy (Superb coach with Bald Eagle)

Three for a girl (Acted like one when Newcastle were interested, when here for the 3rd time)

Four for a boy (His son at Derby- Head of Scouting)

Five for silverware!!! ? Back for a fifth time!

Six for gold ?

Seven for a secret never to be told (Paul Jewell territory)

Archived