Return of the Mac

rynny

TBH I'm just glad that we have an experienced football man advising the Board on the big decisions that need to be made. 

Too often we seem to make decisions on emotion or weighted by media interest. 

I also think we need to slim down the number of management staff. 

God knows what they all do. They seem to outnumber the subs. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I truly believe that had we stuck with Mac we would be in the Prem.

Maybe, maybe not.

His biggest mistake was not getting like-for-like replacements (in style, not quality) for the injured players in Jan/Feb 2015 - it totally changing the way we played for 3-4 months and,  as a result, and took us away from doing the things which had got us top of the league in the first place.

If he'd stayed & reverted to the previous style, sent Bent & Ince back, got Martin back from injury & made a couple of suitable backups for Thorne & Martin and made one or two smart loans to complement the team, then we may have stormed the league again the next season.

If he'd have carried down the path we saw at the end of the season, playing an unsustainable style over-reliant on one or two individuals performing well, then we'd have seen the same sort of things we got under Mac2 ie the standard great run - poor run - can't turn it around - sacked pattern.

I don't really understand Mac's role in this setup. Is he going to be one more in the committee?

It seems daft him being employed by the club at the moment and not in charge. It's not like we have any other capable managers in our employ - maybe Wassall, I suppose, but he isn't in the committee either.

Just give him the job for this season to get ourselves out of this hole we find ourselves in and then appoint over the summer. If Mac shows he's done a good job then give it to him permanently. If not, get someone else in then.

If Mac was back as a coach I'd be delighted. In this role, I'm not even sure what to think. If this is the way to give Rooney and Rosenior the job I'm dead set against it. For reasons I've already outlined picking Rooney to lead this club is a terrible idea with the only plus point is that he's a 'big name' and 'exciting'. That bubble should well and truly have been burst with the performance against Bristol City which was about as thrilling as an episode of coronation street and as reassuring as one of Boris Johnson's covid press conferences. 

If getting him in is to set an overall direction for the team and identify players to fit the roles for that I'm not so keen on that either. Mac's biggest strength is not signing players (his record seems to be rather hit and miss) and I don't really like the idea of two captains at the helm of the ship. Some people have argued he lacks vision which is where he has issues- I don't agree with that necessarily but I'm not sure I'd want a DOF directing the style of play when we should be bringing in an experienced manager to get us out of the mess we're currently in. McClaren's interpersonal skills have frequently come under question which could create more drama where we don't need any. 

It feels like an appointment that has been done to try and calm the ship and go back to the tried and tested formula. They always say you're not supposed to go back to the club you were previously at (hence Mac 2 ending the way it did) let alone a third time. To top it all off this is in a new position which doesn't utilise his greatest footballing asset (coaching a team how to win games with a fluid style) but rather accentuates the features that have let him down in the past as a manager (signing players and personal relationship building). It all feels like a bit of a mess and returning to the past in this way won't fix it. 

25 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

If Mac was back as a coach I'd be delighted. In this role, I'm not even sure what to think. If this is the way to give Rooney and Rosenior the job I'm dead set against it. For reasons I've already outlined picking Rooney to lead this club is a terrible idea with the only plus point is that he's a 'big name' and 'exciting'. That bubble should well and truly have been burst with the performance against Bristol City which was about as thrilling as an episode of coronation street and as reassuring as one of Boris Johnson's covid press conferences. 

If getting him in is to set an overall direction for the team and identify players to fit the roles for that I'm not so keen on that either. Mac's biggest strength is not signing players (his record seems to be rather hit and miss) and I don't really like the idea of two captains at the helm of the ship. Some people have argued he lacks vision which is where he has issues- I don't agree with that necessarily but I'm not sure I'd want a DOF directing the style of play when we should be bringing in an experienced manager to get us out of the mess we're currently in. McClaren's interpersonal skills have frequently come under question which could create more drama where we don't need any. 

It feels like an appointment that has been done to try and calm the ship and go back to the tried and tested formula. They always say you're not supposed to go back to the club you were previously at (hence Mac 2 ending the way it did) let alone a third time. To top it all off this is in a new position which doesn't utilise his greatest footballing asset (coaching a team how to win games with a fluid style) but rather accentuates the features that have let him down in the past as a manager (signing players and personal relationship building). It all feels like a bit of a mess and returning to the past in this way won't fix it. 

Disgraceful lack of appreciation for guy who got us to Wembley twice where we lost by one goal, built an academy and splashed his own cash. Did not pick the players either.

Does this mean then Rooney is going to be manager? The new Manager thread seems to have dried up likewise. 

Can't believe that the club is putting it's faith and future in a guy whose been sacked twice by the same person and a totally rookie manager. Seems totally random and bizarre and downright irresponsible.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Disgraceful lack of appreciation for guy who got us to Wembley twice where we lost by one goal, built an academy and splashed his own cash. Did not pick the players either.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this takeover could be a masterstroke from Mel or not work out like anyone hoped it would. At the end of the day there are so many contributing factors that nobody can predict the outcome. Mel is a Derby fan and so am I. No way would I have risked what he has. Mel has not been inundated with mega offers to buy the club. We gave had our fingers burnt in the past. EFL have signed off on the deal so it is with reasonable hope that we can look forward to future success but nothing is for sure in this world. COYR

I'm not even sure his role has anything to do with first team affairs. I think a Technical Director is very different from an assistant manager. Isn't a TD more about overseeing academy structure, training, hiring, firing etc of coaches? Ensuring we have the right sports scientists and performance analysts in place?

They don't typically get involved in the first team

All that said, if it was me, I'd make Mac manager or interim manager

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I wonder if Mac had even been able to watch the squad in training yet with his appointment only being yesterday but I'm hoping that his research into the current team might give him some insights into where we are going wrong and pass that onto the coaches for tonight's game....

Or, he might be expected to do the job that he has been asked to do.

28 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Not sure how to respond to this given that I didn't mention Mel Morris once and I'm not blaming him for where we are now. 

19 minutes ago, Gritty said:

I'm not even sure his role has anything to do with first team affairs. I think a Technical Director is very different from an assistant manager. Isn't a TD more about overseeing academy structure, training, hiring, firing etc of coaches? Ensuring we have the right sports scientists and performance analysts in place?

They don't typically get involved in the first team

All that said, if it was me, I'd make Mac manager or interim manager

I don't think he has been brought in,in the current circumstances, to not be involved,at least initially

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not sure how to respond to this given that I didn't mention Mel Morris once and I'm not blaming him for where we are now. 

My apologies it was not a reply to your text. Just a text. I have still not found out how to send a post without appearing to reply to the post. How stupid is that if me. In short, how do you do it. I have just been adding dposts into the end of the last post on the thread. So absolutely no refection on your post which sad to say, U did not read. I am not the brightest on here. So sorry for misunderstanding., Leeds Ram. Do you think that we can get a result tonight mate. 

I have always been a big fan of Mel. Not sure how I would have addressed some of the issues he has faced. Quite bizarre some of the things that have happened. I am sitting here with blood pressure issues and this forum has been a bit of a lifeline in Vivid world. Some many different views and I find it very stimulating.

Archived