Return of the Mac

rynny

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think your wrong buddy

my recollection of it was that he consistently avoided putting it to bed 

he could have quite easily come out and said no I’m Derby county manager, my sole focus is keeping this promotion push on track 

instead he refused to deny an interest and our season fell apart 

I certainly remember there were plenty on here moaning about his behaviour and refusal to put the Newcastle rumours to bed 

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Its water (well) under the bridge with me now, but this is pretty much how I remember it playing out.

It annoyed the **** out of me at the time, but have long since let it go. Don’t think it would happen with any other club and it’s not like Newcastle would come in for him again.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-mcclaren-blasts-newcastle-link-5571513.amp

A selection of the quotes;

Asked if he intended to still be in charge at the iPro Stadium at the start of the 2015/16 campaign, the 53-year-old said: "I am contracted to Derby County, so yes. I have got a contract here for the next two years after this and I hope to honour that contract. 

"But this is newspapers and this is what they do, they speculate. At the present moment Newcastle doesn't interest me, I am not thinking about that. I am thinking solely of Derby."

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah. Steve McClaren.

Perhaps the only man in football who can command respect and ridicule in the same breath. 

A total enigma. He has reach dizzying heights with incredible coaching ability and understanding of the game, and snatched contempt from the jaws of universal admiration by...well, being the slightly strange bloke he is.

This season has been a bit like being 4-1 down to Ipswich at half-time. Let's hope he can come down from the directors box, and the rest of the season can be a metaphor of that second half.

54 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Just had a quick flick through the last two hours of excitement. I am amazed at how many think his job might involve training and dug out responsibilities? If we select a younger, less experienced manager of course he will be available to offer counsel, but please read what the club says in its statement:

McClaren has agreed a contract to act as an advisor to the board with immediate effect. In this capacity he will assume the role and duties of both advisor and Technical Director, a position which has been identified by agreement between Mel Morris and Derventio Holdings as important to the future of the club.

Nobody has seen the job description, and I suspect given our club one hasn’t been typed yet, but it strikes me that his position is more related to offering guidance and helping shape strategy for the club’s future owners on the start of their journey (hopefully with Morris taking a complete back seat). I think he will almost certainly be in a suit rather than a tracksuit. The statement does not seem either to suggest he will have a ‘Director of Football’ brief. As likely that he will have as much input into player acquisition strategy as our new manager, Darren Wassall and Joe McClaren.

424D4B40-683A-4C89-BB95-16E1B7591285.jpeg

People are ruling out an experienced manager because of Mac's appointment, but could it be that the majority of his job will be the interface to the board rather than directing on-field affairs? - particularly as the new ownership group are likely to be fairly remote and not as hands-on as Mel has been.

He's got shed-loads of experience and would be ideal in acting as a buffer/conduit between the manager and the owners with regard to weaknesses in the team and where they need to focus on recruitment etc. Let the manager manage and let Mac deal with the board would make sense whoever ends up as manager....

16 minutes ago, rynny said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-mcclaren-blasts-newcastle-link-5571513.amp

Asked if he intended to still be in charge at the iPro Stadium at the start of the 2015/16 campaign, the 53-year-old said: "I am contracted to Derby County, so yes. I have got a contract here for the next two years after this and I hope to honour that contract. 

"But this is newspapers and this is what they do, they speculate. At the present moment Newcastle doesn't interest me, I am not thinking about that. I am thinking solely of Derby."

Yes, pretty much how I remembered it...should have got him to sign a new contract in blood though eh???

19 minutes ago, rynny said:

Interest from Newcastle at “turn of the year”, interview article pledging allegiance to the Rams dated 23rd April.

When did the rumours of Newcastle interest surface? Can’t remember exactly but I thought it was Jan/Feb, so still quite a while between link and denial.

I just remember at the time wondering why he couldn’t come out and say he wasn’t interested, if not immediately then not months later.

Can only be good news - especially if he takes on some coaching duties and guides whoever becomes the new manager.

Always been a fan of Mac but he never fills me with confidence as a leader of men. Will always be better as a behind the headlights type of guy.

10 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I just remember at the time wondering why he couldn’t come out and say he wasn’t interested, if not immediately then not months later.

Because football manager isn't the securest of jobs and you could easily find yourself sacked - not gonna snub anyone. Even Rafa didn't come straight out and laugh at our current job rumours did he.

I wonder....

does Mac's appointment paving the way for Rooney (or some other inexperienced) person to be appointed Head Coach indicate:

a) the takeover is less likely and Mel is preparing the way for picking up the pieces with a cheap option.

-OR-

b) the takeover is happening and the new owner is adamant that Rooney be manager (presuming his presence is partly what attracted him to the club) and Mel is trying to put a last minute safeguard in place.

For me, this is very huge positive sign from the incoming board. They are not going to micromanage anything, they have a hired Mac to do it if needed. In the role he'll most likely get, someone who knows how teams work is way better option than owner messing things up.

Positive step forward. More of the same, please.

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I wonder....

does Mac's appointment paving the way for Rooney (or some other inexperienced) person to be appointed Head Coach indicate:

a) the takeover is less likely and Mel is preparing the way for picking up the pieces with a cheap option.

-OR-

b) the takeover is happening and the new owner is adamant that Rooney be manager (presuming his presence is partly what attracted him to the club) and Mel is trying to put a last minute safeguard in place.

C)

To be honest, I would be more concerned if Morris still has a part to play after the take over. SM in some cupboard somewhere is not such a problem but Morris has shown absolutely nothing in his 5 years.

If he still has an input day to day, l doubt much will change.

9 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I wonder....

-OR-

I don't understand the logic of splashing millions of pounds on the playing squad then scrimping on the manager - if Rooney comes in will be the third rookie manager under Mel Morris' reign. 

41 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

424D4B40-683A-4C89-BB95-16E1B7591285.jpeg

Is one of those Spongebob? Other than that I am really struggling with your response I am afraid. Nonetheless I will give you a like as usually I find your posts either amusing or informative (and occasionally both).

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Derby are destined to keep hiring and firing McClaren over and over again forever.

This is Mac 3, but I can see this having as many sequels as Rocky.

Mac: The Innocent Climb

Mac II: Return of the Mack

Mac III: This Time It's Technical

Mac IV: Mac in Space

Mac V: The Mac Strikes Back

Mac VI: Mac in Manhattan

Mac VII: Mac in the 'Hood

And so on

Isn’t there going to be a season where we all wake up in an alternate reality and it’s the eve of the play off but this time the result is different ?

or Hughes and Bryso don’t get injured in the same match and Paul Clement gets us up, only to eff off and manage Man U 

Archived