Return of the Mac

rynny

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Without this being a comment on the overall suitability of the appointment, I'm not really a fan of the whole "knows the club inside out" cliché.

What actual benefit does this bring?

It's not a cliche. I've been telling people for weeks he keenly follows us. He was following us as an outsider but still keeping in touch with those close to the club such as our pundits and also internal counterparts. 

He knew all about the style of football, our youth prominence and he is up to date with the technical side. He studies Opta stats and ProZone religiously. Importantly, this clubs. 

I'm sure he's been asked who and why he'd recruit with a few budget scenarios and the club were impressed, just like they were with Lampard. Where as someone like Big Sam would try and bring in like 15 players. 

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Posted it in another thread but is it not the case that McClaren’s skill set very much lies in terms of coaching and it is in the administrative side where he has perhaps fallen down in the past? 

If he stays on as a DOF type after the manager is appointed then I am not 100% on whether that’s his best role? 

I am all for the DOF model but just a bit sceptical on him as the right man to fulfil it. But obviously I do hope he does really well and it is good to see him back in some capacity.

Not necessary to get Mac3 to appoint Rooney.

13 minutes ago, Archied said:

Judging On present decision making at the club my bet is on the trading ground on match days and in the dug out during the week

He was never in the dugout when he was Manager. Always sat high up in the West Stand until half time at least

Great appointment in my view. Yes he seems to keep popping up like a weed, however we all know he's a top class coach. If Rooney is the manager, I have no problem having McClaren as someone to give him guidance. 

I think we now need to give Rooney our full backing since it's now becoming more clear he will be the manager going forward.

38 minutes ago, David said:

Find it interesting that some see this as a Director of Football role and delighted by that when he has no experience.

Then dead set against giving Rooney the managers job as he has no experience. 

Both are equally important roles?

Nobody other than the club really know what duties this role will give him as yet, or how long he will be here for.

It’s an announcement that gives little reason to be excited or disappointed until his role becomes more clear.

Steve has years of managing staff /players, long term strategy, building a squad..(whether you think he does it well is a different matter). He will still do some of that but in a different role when the team has settled down. 

He can hardly get experience of being a TD/  DofF in the lower leagues either, its specific to bigger teams. He seems a good character, he may do well but it's hard to know I agree. 

Rooney has zero experience of managing people, dictating tactics or handling personnel or personalities. He could be amazing...but has never proved it in any role. I really hope he gets to try his hand elsewhere another time and just concentrates on getting as match fit as he can. 

Interesting move. I think this signals that it won’t be Allardyce or Benitez or anyone of that stature, but it is more likely to be a younger, more progressive manager.

Brendan Rodgers has done an amazing job working alongside Jon Rudkin - and Rudkin had never been a Director of Football prior to landing the role at Leicester. It was very much the appointment of someone who had extensive knowledge of the inner workings of the club rather than someone with vast experience in the role. So McClaren is along the same lines having worked at the club multiple times previously. Leicester are a good example of it working if you get the right people in position.

Hopefully the next manager is not Rooney, Terry or a continuation of this managerial committee because I fear it would lend itself to being victim to training ground politics, media frenzies, and a lot of micro management would also inevitably end up happening.

Let’s get Steve Cooper or Paul Cook in - someone who would buy into McClaren and Wassall’s involvement and the wider club vision - and get the club back on track.

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Steve has years of managing staff /players, long term strategy, building a squad..(whether you think he does it well is a different matter). He will still do some of that but in a different role when the team has settled down. 

He can hardly get experience of being a TD/  DofF in the lower leagues either, its specific to bigger teams. He seems a good character, he may do well but it's hard to know I agree. 

Rooney has zero experience of managing people, dictating tactics or handling personnel or personalities. He could be amazing...but has never proved it in any role. I really hope he gets to try his hand elsewhere another time and just concentrates on getting as match fit as he can. 

So good a character when Newcastle came waving a job at him he turned his back on us quicker than u can say “why eye pet”

Now I don’t blame him ... but the way he ducked us about properly pissed me off 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

Or just can’t get a job 

Newcastle in for Maclaren. Only joking. I hope. No idea what this means or for how long it will be or what it says about Rooney but most likely Rooney to be appointed until it goes pear shaped. Wayne was talking about Marriott decision at Xmas which I read as he was expecting to be manager at that time, based on nothing really.

Just now, DC-1975 said:

What's so funny @Andicis? You keep giving people laughing emoji's, why not actually reply to the comment?

Which Derby manager who has actually achieved anything had previous knowledge of the club?

Because you said ''None of our successful managerial appointments 'knew the club', yet managed to have success in their first couple of seasons.''. This is not applicable in recent years. We've had plenty of managers with no ties to the club recently, ain't done any better though have they? This idea that the only way we'll be successful is hiring someone who doesn't know Derby is a funny concept.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's his 5th time here - it hopefully means he has a love for the club. #COYR

I don’t see where having a love for the club has any relevance to his ability to make good decisions. You could argue it’s impaired Mel’s ability.

8 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

It's not a cliche. I've been telling people for weeks he keenly follows us. He was following us as an outsider but still keeping in touch with those close to the club such as our pundits and also internal counterparts. 

He knew all about the style of football, our youth prominence and he is up to date with the technical side. He studies Opta stats and ProZone religiously. Importantly, this clubs. 

I'm sure he's been asked who and why he'd recruit with a few budget scenarios and the club were impressed, just like they were with Lampard. Where as someone like Big Sam would try and bring in like 15 players. 

These are all good points to be fair, although I think they relate more to following the club in detail than “knowing it inside out”, which, to me, seems to be used as a synonym for “loves the club”, “shows lots of passion”, etc.

Archived