Return of the Mac

rynny

Just now, DC-1975 said:

Name me someone who has been successful after being sacked at a club? 

Howe and Clough are one's who had success returning, but neither were sacked in the first place

There isn't that many to choose from... Mac returning was more successful than any of the managers after him, so go figure. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don’t see where having a love for the club has any relevance to his ability to make good decisions. You could argue it’s impaired Mel’s ability.

These are all good points to be fair, although I think they relate more to following the club in detail than “knowing it inside out”, which, to me, seems to be used as a synonym for “loves the club”, “shows lots of passion”, etc.

As a side point I've always liked his positivity. Also takes the blame when a result doesn't go our way, says the players were doing the right things, what has been instructed, etc.

Ultimately he's the kind of person who looks at our squad and makes just a few additions. Many managers will look at our current position and say we need to completely change and bring in countless players. Those kind of managers are useless. 

5 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

So good a character when Newcastle came waving a job at him he turned his back on us quicker than u can say “why eye pet”

Now I don’t blame him ... but the way he ducked us about properly pissed me off 

Not true. He repeatedly said he wanted to stay, he refused to go to Newcastle whilst still our manager and only joined them after he was sacked. 

Well i'm on record saying i'd have him back admittedly through gritted teeth, As for Rafa, The ITK news who told me is no longer on my Xmas card list.

A good appointment who will be pulling enough strings on the player and play front that fingers crossed we'll make good progress.

Just now, rynny said:

Not true. He repeatedly said he wanted to stay, he refused to go to Newcastle whilst still our manager and only joined them after he was sacked. 

He also said that Newcastle had never approached him while in the pay of DCFC...Liar liar pants on fire.

2 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Someone on here quoted his win percentage in second spell was worse than Rowett. A manager you described as terrible!

And that person would be wrong. Mac 2 was 44.8 and Rowett 43.3, and Mac took charge of a struggling team at the bottom of the table and didn't get a summer window to bring in players he wanted. Nice try. And in fact,in Rowett's whole career he's never had a better win percentage than Mac 2. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

If this means Rooney will be the next manager then we're doomed 

It really doesn't. I was in the camp that didn't want Rooney as manager, but im not actually sure why. He may not have the qualifications yet, but he has great experience and knowledge of the game. With someone who knows the championship and experience is managing and coaching, it could be  great partnership. 

2 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

As a side point I've always liked his positivity. Also takes the blame when a result doesn't go our way, says the players were doing the right things, what has been instructed, etc.

Ultimately he's the kind of person who looks at our squad and makes just a few additions. Many managers will look at our current position and say we need to completely change and bring in countless players. Those kind of managers are useless. 

Despite my previous comment, I do like Mac. If the choice of manager were to be based on who would get us out of the relegation battle, he'd be as good a bet as any (that doesn't mean I'd appoint him).

No idea about his prowess as technical director, though, nor what his remit will be in that role. I imagine it will be different to the recruitment-led responsibility Chris Evans had, but whether he'll be like a sporting director or an adviser to an inexperienced coach, I don't know.

4 minutes ago, James Pond said:

He also said that Newcastle had never approached him while in the pay of DCFC...Liar liar pants on fire.

Didn't see that. There were reports after our season had finished and Newcastle still had 2 games that they had offered him the job which he turned down. 

Just now, jimbobram said:

It really doesn't. I was in the camp that didn't want Rooney as manager, but im not actually sure why. He may not have the qualifications yet, but he has great experience and knowledge of the game. With someone who knows the championship and experience is managing and coaching, it could be  great partnership. 

Probably because we'll have zero idea of whether he's a good manager or not until he actually plays that role. At which point it might be too late.

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don’t see where having a love for the club has any relevance to his ability to make good decisions.

Yeah cos we know Mac has no decent history or success in football. That was a given. He was doing the Technical Director stuff at uni when he was here as Mac2, so he's got the technical.

Just now, DC-1975 said:

He had a January window though and managed one win in 9 after that

You can't make a lot of signings in a January window. It's notoriously difficult. So it slumped, well so what? He'd have got us out of it, anyway this is besides the initial point of discussion. No outsider has got us any success recently, Mac's been our best manager *by a huge margin, too* of the past decade, and it's only good news that he's back.

6 minutes ago, James Pond said:

I don't give a duck tbh.

Who'd be surprised if Lampard had spoke to Chelsea?! A good manager interesting other clubs comes with the territory. Think of lots of our managers that no-one else wanted! ? And to get upset because of the way he handled the media shitstorm, that was never allowed to drop, is pointless. He said he was committed and staying. So Mel sacked him!

5 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Someone on here quoted his win percentage in second spell was worse than Rowett. A manager you described as terrible!

His point per game record was slightly worse than Rowett's. Rowett got 1.6, McClaren got 1.59. McClaren had a higher win % but also a higher loss %, without a lot of draws, whereas Rowett got a lot of draws, particularly in the second half of the season.

Archived