Kamil Jóźwiak

Andicis

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/09/2020 at 08:22, GboroRam said:

J - pronounced y like yoghurt 

ó - pronounced oo like in choose

ź - no sound like this in English. It's a zh sound, slightly rasping by pulling the tongue up to the roof of the mouth

w - pronounced v like violin

i - pronounced ee like cheek

ak - pronounced ack like black

Source - Polish wife.

Are there many regional variations in Poland though. Is your wife from the posh end or the common part?

If an British player with the made up name of 'Buckbook' joined a Polish team, would our equivalents on their forum trust the opinion of an English wife?

36 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Are there many regional variations in Poland though. Is your wife from the posh end or the common part?

If an British player with the made up name of 'Buckbook' joined a Polish team, would our equivalents on their forum trust the opinion of an English wife?

No. Interestingly, Polish is a phonetic language. Of course different areas have their own dialects, but it kind of means they speak their own version of the language. You'd sort of write the words differently to show the way they speak, say, in the mountains in the north. It's hard to understand a Goral (mountain-person) speaking if you listen to them, as they really do change the speech so much it's almost a new language. But names, they wouldn't be different.

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

No. Interestingly, Polish is a phonetic language. Of course different areas have their own dialects, but it kind of means they speak their own version of the language. You'd sort of write the words differently to show the way they speak, say, in the mountains in the north. It's hard to understand a Goral (mountain-person) speaking if you listen to them, as they really do change the speech so much it's almost a new language. But names, they wouldn't be different.

GbR, do you speak Polish or just a tad, pronounced tad.

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

GbR, do you speak Polish or just a tad, pronounced tad.

I'm trying. I've picked up quite a lot - I understand a conversation better than I can contribute. Grammar is extremely hard, pronunciation is a real challenge too. But oddly enough reading it is fairly simple, if you can twist your tongue around the words. Because it's phonetic, if you can pronounce the letters you can read the word - even if you don't understand it.

32 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

A bit like Yorkies then?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived