Road to Keogh

TuffLuff

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one wish him all the best. The circumstances of his departure were deeply unfortunate. But he was a long serving player and I'm pleased to see that he appears to have overcome his injury. If he does play against Derby I hope we do give him a warm welcome for all the years he played for us. But I suspect there won't be a warm welcome ?

7 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I for one wish him all the best. The circumstances of his departure were deeply unfortunate. But he was a long serving player and I'm pleased to see that he appears to have overcome his injury. If he does play against Derby I hope we do give him a warm welcome for all the years he played for us. But I suspect there won't be a warm welcome ?

If he does turn out against us and there isn’t a warm welcome (assuming there are fans in the ground) it’ll most likely be because of a lack of contrition by Keogh.

He had a chance to do that by signing the reduced terms contract. I don’t necessarily blame him for doing that.

But an awful lot of us did back him to the hilt for many seasons. And in the main he repaid us.

I think that’s what he needs to address. The issues with the club are not the same as his relationship with the fans.

There may be non-disclosure clauses but I’d hope that wouldn’t prevent Richard from apologising to the fans.

Do that my son, and you preserve your legacy. Few footballers at any club have that opportunity.

2 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

I daresay this has been said on numerous occasions but I've not been active on here for long.

We have to remember the circumstances of his arrival. He'd been virtually ever present in a struggling Coventry side finishing 18th and then 23rd (relegation) from the championship - in those two full seasons there he played 48 and 47 games respectively. I'm not quite sure what we were expecting.

We HAD to buy a centre half once Shackell's hasty exit had occurred.

Those few on here who know me from other DCFC forums will testify that I wasn't impressed by his first season. Or his second, regardless of Wembley.

My biggest bugbare with him was that he didn't learn from his mistakes. Yes, there were some excellent defensive saving tackles, but usually as a result of him being woefully out of position in the first place. He'd back off when a player was running towards him on a one on one, often into his own penalty area, and the scissor wide two foot dive in "block" became easy to beat - you just shot low, as he was always off the ground - witness Osborn's winner at PP.

He put in loads of defence saving tackles because for all of his time here, save Clement, Rowett and the first half of Mac 2, we defended with a high line. The space to get at us was in behind. You have to be reactionary playing like that. That sort of defensive line is why you back off. You go to put a foot in, all they have to do is knock it past you or lay somebody off and they’re through on goal. Just watch Osborn’s winner again. If Keogh goes any tighter to Osborn he lays it off to whoever’s to the left of him who then has all of the time in the world to cut one back. 

Try as I might, I couldn't see a consistent improvement post Wembley. He'd be excellent for half an hour then make an attempted headed clearance back into the danger area instead of towards the touchline. Basic, basic errors which you wouldn't expect a trainee to do, and over and over again. We all make mistakes, I can forgive that, and have never even thought of doing anything other than supporting him in a Derby shirt, but unless you have the ability to learn from them then you won't improve.  The only reasonable spell when he looked less vulnerable was when Rowett played two holding midfielders to protect the back four. As soon as Rowett realised we needed to win games and dispensed with Hudds and a.n.other (BJ?) in front of the CH's, we capitulated 1-4 to Sunderland. Rowett dropped Keogh, yet it was Rowett who left at the season's end. 

Thorne and BJ started that Sunderland game? Keogh was dropped, we lost 3-1 to Burton, he was reintroduced as an overlapping wide centre-half and results picked up. Let’s not rewrite history. 

Don't get me wrong, no one could ever fault his commitment, but I wished on many occasions that he'd have played more with his head than his heart.  My personal view is that Tomori's pace got him out of trouble far more than the reverse in Frank's season. 

We had 8 points from 8 games pre Lampostgate. We finished on 64 from 46.  That's not all down to Rooney, especially when you look at our form when Clarke was missing. I think Matt Clarke is a better centre half than RK ever was. 

You can’t use PPG to compare centre-halves when there are THAT many variables and they even played together in some of those early games. 

I wish him well in his search for a new club, and hope he finds one soon.

10 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

.....Yes, there were some excellent defensive saving tackles, but usually as a result of him being woefully out of position in the first place.....

To be fair, Sol Campbell made an entire career (including a disproportionate number of England caps) by doing exactly that.....

Very lucky to have found himself a new club, 33 years old coming off a self inflicted ACL after a foolish decision whilst club captain.

Wish him luck, no ill feeling. 

Just glad the saga has come to end and we don't have to spend the summer debating if the club should take him back or not. 

12 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

So there you go. We must have reached some kind of settlement with Keogh to relinquish his player registration. I expect we will never know what that is. All wrapped up in a non disclosure agreement I would expect. 

DET says this (copied from elsewhere no doubt, but where?):

Richard Keogh is excited by the challenge ahead after signing for League One club MK Dons.

The 33-year-old Republic of Ireland international defender has joined the club on a free transfer.

Archived