Road to Keogh

TuffLuff

56 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I think what grated with me was the apparent inconsistency comparing his treatment with that meted out to Lawrence and Bennett. But as always we only have limited knowledge of what went on, on the day, or maybe something in the background. 

He MAY have instigated the dodgy drive by insisting that a "junior" player gave him a ride home rather than wait for a taxi. We don't know the details of his deal.

So easy as outsiders to make a judgement. But then think how quiet the forum would be.

Both Lawrence & Bennett (to a lesser degree) have resale value, Keogh didn't, pure economics.  

He was a good servant to the club, and despite his numerous lapses, was a good defender at this level, particularly if he had someone to do all the talking for him.  But because he chose to jump in the back of a Range Rover he's made himself surplus to requirements...

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the criticism levelled at Keogh in this thread is ridiculous. He was a fantastic servant to the club over many years, consistently one of our better performers. He's one of only two players in the last 30 years to win player of the year twice. 

He made a stupid mistake in getting into the car, and I have no doubt he regrets that every day. It's a shame his Derby career ended that way, and without him leading us out in the premiership.

But I for one will applaud his achievements at, and commitment to, this club, if/ when he comes back to Pride Park as part of an away team. I wish him all the best for the rest of his recovery and future career. 

Thank you Richard. ?

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Both Lawrence & Bennett (to a lesser degree) have resale value, Keogh didn't, pure economics.  

He was a good servant to the club, and despite his numerous lapses, was a good defender at this level, particularly if he had someone to do all the talking for him.  But because he chose to jump in the back of a Range Rover he's made himself surplus to requirements...

Nail and head. 

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I think what grated with me was the apparent inconsistency comparing his treatment with that meted out to Lawrence and Bennett. But as always we only have limited knowledge of what went on, on the day, or maybe something in the background. 

He MAY have instigated the dodgy drive by insisting that a "junior" player gave him a ride home rather than wait for a taxi. We don't know the details of his deal.

So easy as outsiders to make a judgement. But then think how quiet the forum would be.

Despite their crass stupidity, both Lawrence and Bennett were still able to carry out the duties the club paid them for.

Keogh wasnt.

2 hours ago, Crazy said:

Some of the criticism levelled at Keogh in this thread is ridiculous. He was a fantastic servant to the club over many years, consistently one of our better performers. He's one of only two players in the last 30 years to win player of the year twice. 

Agreed

Great player, great servant to the club, great pity he's an idiot

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Agreed

Great player, great servant to the club, great pity he's an idiot

So close. 

Great player- oh my oh my, he wasn’t even a good player, I don’t understand how he made It to be a pro footballer because somehow he never looks like he can kick a ball correctly..
Great servant to the club-kind of (although he wasn’t doing It for free-and when that prospect of having his wages reduced to stay at the club came up he was off like hot snot) he did look like he was trying his best-his best just wasn’t good enough 

Great pity he is an idiot- yep...a totally idiot....(but he isn’t alone!) but a total idiot. 

28 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Great player- oh my oh my, he wasn’t even a good player, I don’t understand how he made It to be a pro footballer because somehow he never looks like he can kick a ball correctly..

A whole series of professional footballers and managers disagree with you there I'm afraid

47 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I don’t understand how he made It to be a pro footballer because somehow he never looks like he can kick a ball correctly.

Well he kicked it to Marriott pretty damn well for the winning goal against Leeds in the playoffs

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

So close. 

Great servant to the club-kind of (although he wasn’t doing It for free-and when that prospect of having his wages reduced to stay at the club came up he was off like hot snot) he did look like he was trying his best-his best just wasn’t good enough 

Great pity he is an idiot- yep...a totally idiot....(but he isn’t alone!) but a total idiot. 

The only justifiable criticism of Keogh is that your own personal preference from a centre-half is that he solely heads and kicks it and is a unit. 

He was twice Player of the Season, once in the PFA Team of the Season and Players’ Player of the Season last year. 

He was absolutely magnificent at bringing the ball down. He would control balls most centre-halves at this level would clear and would get us playing. 

Like, I don’t even know how you can insinuate that he looked like could barely kick a ball when he is, unquestionably, our best ball-playing centre-half since Stimac. 

For a couple of seasons he was our best midfielder, let alone best centre-half. He was our driving force and the only player capable of upping the tempo. 

7 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I think your looking for too much in the reasoning behind things , Richard was the only one who injured himself in the incident to the extent that he could no longer fulfill his contract and as such was quite naturally treated in the way his situation dictated ,, football clubs are not charities they are business s and I’m really stunned that people don’t see this , coupled with the fact that players are on such high wages making it a massive loss to the club to pay him, buy a replacement and pay his replacement I’m at at loss as to why the club is expected by some posters to do anything else

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

So close. 

Because the professionals who work in the game know more than you.

Individual

PFA Team of the Year: 2014–15 Championship[78]

Bristol City Young Player of the Year: 2006–07

Carlisle United Player of the Year: 2009–10

Coventry City Player of the Year: 2011–12

Coventry City Players' Player of the Year: 2010–11, 2011–12

Derby County Player of the Year: 2012–13, 2015–16

Derby County Players' Player of the Year: 2012–13, 2015–16, 2018–19

Derby County Supporters' Player of the Year: 2012–13

So supporters everywhere he's played thought he was good, his fellow professionals thought he was good and the league thought he was good.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some folk simply shouldn't.

6 hours ago, Crazy said:

He made a stupid mistake in getting into the car, and I have no doubt he regrets that every day. It's a shame his Derby career ended that way, and without him leading us out in the premiership.

But I for one will applaud his achievements at, and commitment to, this club, if/ when he comes back to Pride Park as part of an away team. I wish him all the best for the rest of his recovery and future career. 

Thank you Richard. ?

I’m with you on all of the above , liked keough and rated him , that said the club acted 100% the right Way for the position they were placed in

34 minutes ago, cannable said:

The only justifiable criticism of Keogh is that your own personal preference from a centre-half is that he solely heads and kicks it and is a unit. 

He was twice Player of the Season, once in the PFA Team of the Season and Players’ Player of the Season last year. 

He was absolutely magnificent at bringing the ball down. He would control balls most centre-halves at this level would clear and would get us playing. 

Like, I don’t even know how you can insinuate that he looked like could barely kick a ball when he is, unquestionably, our best ball-playing centre-half since Stimac. 

For a couple of seasons he was our best midfielder, let alone best centre-half. He was our driving force and the only player capable of upping the tempo. 

Take no notice - just a self-centred wind-up merchant.

33 minutes ago, cannable said:

Unquestionably our best ball playing centre half since Stimac.....? Seriously..??  you mean aside from Carbanari, Mawene, Riggot, Higginbotham, TARIBO WEST, Michael Johnson, Miles Addison, Lewin Nyatanga, Dean Leacock, Alan Stubbs, Jake Buxton, Alex Pearce, Craig Forsyth, Ryan Shotton, Michael Keane or Shaun Barker..... yeah, unquestionably.......

1 minute ago, Archied said:

Richard was the only one who injured himself

He was a passenger. Someone else was the driver so to that extent he was an innocent bystander. He is only temporarily unable to fulfill his contract so was signed off sick. My old contract gave me 2 years before medical severance kicked in, I assume as a sportsman he would have some sort of clause.

The point is in many ways he was much less guilty than the driver, but was punished (in employment terms) much more. So back to my original comment about consistency.

2 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

He was a passenger. Someone else was the driver so to that extent he was an innocent bystander. He is only temporarily unable to fulfill his contract so was signed off sick. My old contract gave me 2 years before medical severance kicked in, I assume as a sportsman he would have some sort of clause.

The point is in many ways he was much less guilty than the driver, but was punished (in employment terms) much more. So back to my original comment about consistency.

I totally agree, they should have all been fired on the spot.

Archived