v Reading (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

On 22/06/2020 at 15:41, Mazzaram said:

Hamer

Bogle  Wisdon  Clarke  Forsyth

Bird  Rooney

Waghorn  Sibley  Lawrence

Martin

I like Waggy's energy and link up play with Louie, but Chrissy leads the line better. I think Holmes is still struggling. His best position is the one currently occupied by Sibley, so he will have to be content with the bench. Knight off the bench could be a lethal weapon. Leave Flo Jo where he is currently. No current first teamer deserves to lose his place to him in my view.

Wow! Got it in one. I suppose there's a first time for everything!

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think it’s a headbutt in footballers terms, so you leaning your head in forcefully, rather than nuttin’ someone. Presumably because footballers can’t raise their hands it’s trying to do something less obvious but in truth it’s a full on show that you’ve lost control of your actions and hence why it’s a red. 

Seems like Lawrence has done it to be antagonistic but not beyond to what he thought constituted a headbutt, may have fallen the wrong side though. Miazga reacts like a petulant child though, slaps Lawrence and then cries about his lip...

25 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Seems like Lawrence has done it to be antagonistic but not beyond to what he thought constituted a headbutt, may have fallen the wrong side though. Miazga reacts like a petulant child though, slaps Lawrence and then cries about his lip...

Errr a headbutt gets you sent off, he kept going back for more and headbutted finally. Cocu was disappointed, I bet he's furious too.

Sibley’s only made 3 league starts and he’s already a marked man. The task for him now is to find a way to overcome the challenge. Limited time on the ball today, managing only 16 passes, but still managed to get a vital assist. 
Wedneday’s game will be another tough one for him... Preston will be very compact and without Lawrence on the field I imagine Preston will focus on Sibley more than they would have done. 

Well, back to the football now that the boxing is over. Our opening twenty minutes was tremendous - it wasn't pouring forwards at 90 mph, it was very controlled, very classy. We decided the pace at which were going to play. Some of our playing out from the back was really, really good. Our players seem to have acquired the ability to see a team mate much more incisively than only a few weeks ago, and we are able to keep playing the ball around until and opening appears. Reading seemed to be a bit "Park the bus" and didn't seem able to catch us on the break, probably because we wouldn't let them. We then had a few sloppy balls up front that let Reading get at us, and the pendulum swung for a few minutes and we could have easily gone behind.

Yet again we have confirmation of the amazing consistency of the match officials. The yellow card for Lawrence was completely wrong - Tom was running onto the ball and it was the Reading defender who was late and clumsy with his challenge. I couldn't see where Tom had made a foul challenge when it was the Reading man making the actual challenge. A few minutes later the guy with the dreadlocks cleaned Chris Martin out with a much worse challenge but wasn't booked. Tom, quite rightly asked the ref why not. The Reading guy carried on kicking lumps out of Derby players all match without any sense of being. Then Shinnie got carded for what would have been his first offence, if he had committed an offence. He got the ball! Two harsh yellow cards, and none for Reading. And in the end the ref simply had to give a penalty, but it took 3 shouts. Waghorn was semi-rugby tackled - the player had his arms round Waggy's body and spun him off balance, and was a peno, as was the almighty shove in the back of Sibley. The actual penalty was somewhat bought by Waghorn, but the ref couldn't really turn another shout down, even though it is Derby County we are talking about. And the ref spent the rest of the match  giving Reading free-kicks for nothing, making it almost impossible for us to put a s=decent challenge in.Althugh i have no issue with Holmes's card.

Anyway, back to the match. After 15 minutes or so wobbling because a series of sloppy passes put us under pressure and knocked our self-belief we got back on top, a got the reward with a superbly worked goal. That lay-off by Sibley was pure Chris Martin, who had slipped the ball through to him as only he can. And as soon as Tom decided not to bast the ball, I knew it was going in. Beautiful! It is a psychologically great time to score just before half-time, so do do it twice was superb. It should have been game over.

As expected Reading came at us at the start of the second half and were much more on the front foot. I felt it was simply a matter of weathering the storm then slotting in the third to finish the match off. But Forsyth getting caught in possession while day-dreaming upset our play again, and just as we started to get back on it Captain Flaptastic struck, and that turned the game completely. It is somewhat of a dichotomy - we have shown tremendous resilience and come back form  going behind, and survived periods of pressure to give us this fantastic run of for, yet today the slightest rooster-up seemed to set us back for 10 - 15 minutes at a time. Thankfully we clung on till the end and saw the match out.

We ended up with a bit of a set-back, with the Cardiff result (although it has dragged Preston backwards) and the Lawrence affair has left a bad taste. But we are the form team at the moment, so COME ON YOU RAMS!!!!!!

50 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Well we should have got him out of the club when he drove pissed up into a lamppost. 

Tom is a tad wild, granted

i am thrilled we now have a genuine bad boy at the club

24 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

The only conclusive thing about today is Hamer gives Lawrence boxing lessons .Problem is neither of them have a decent punch.

Neither of them are going to win King of the Cobbles when the pubs reopen next Saturday night really are they 

The reaction on here and Twitter about Lawrence is funkin depressing. Nobody knows what actually went off between the two of them during the game. For all we know their player could’ve been baiting Lawrence all through the game. What he did was stupid, but pretty much everyone On this forum, who’s played football, has been both an antagonist and protagonist in  exactly the same kind of shoving match, so coming on here saying he should know better is very hypocritical. 

It really wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t just say “funk it” at the end of the season, and hand in a transfer request. 

48 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well, back to the football now that the boxing is over. Our opening twenty minutes was tremendous - it wasn't pouring forwards at 90 mph, it was very controlled, very classy. We decided the pace at which were going to play. Some of our playing out from the back was really, really good. Our players seem to have acquired the ability to see a team mate much more incisively than only a few weeks ago, and we are able to keep playing the ball around until and opening appears. Reading seemed to be a bit "Park the bus" and didn't seem able to catch us on the break, probably because we wouldn't let them. We then had a few sloppy balls up front that let Reading get at us, and the pendulum swung for a few minutes and we could have easily gone behind.

Yet again we have confirmation of the amazing consistency of the match officials. The yellow card for Lawrence was completely wrong - Tom was running onto the ball and it was the Reading defender who was late and clumsy with his challenge. I couldn't see where Tom had made a foul challenge when it was the Reading man making the actual challenge. A few minutes later the guy with the dreadlocks cleaned Chris Martin out with a much worse challenge but wasn't booked. Tom, quite rightly asked the ref why not. The Reading guy carried on kicking lumps out of Derby players all match without any sense of being. Then Shinnie got carded for what would have been his first offence, if he had committed an offence. He got the ball! Two harsh yellow cards, and none for Reading. And in the end the ref simply had to give a penalty, but it took 3 shouts. Waghorn was semi-rugby tackled - the player had his arms round Waggy's body and spun him off balance, and was a peno, as was the almighty shove in the back of Sibley. The actual penalty was somewhat bought by Waghorn, but the ref couldn't really turn another shout down, even though it is Derby County we are talking about. And the ref spent the rest of the match  giving Reading free-kicks for nothing, making it almost impossible for us to put a s=decent challenge in.Althugh i have no issue with Holmes's card.

Anyway, back to the match. After 15 minutes or so wobbling because a series of sloppy passes put us under pressure and knocked our self-belief we got back on top, a got the reward with a superbly worked goal. That lay-off by Sibley was pure Chris Martin, who had slipped the ball through to him as only he can. And as soon as Tom decided not to bast the ball, I knew it was going in. Beautiful! It is a psychologically great time to score just before half-time, so do do it twice was superb. It should have been game over.

As expected Reading came at us at the start of the second half and were much more on the front foot. I felt it was simply a matter of weathering the storm then slotting in the third to finish the match off. But Forsyth getting caught in possession while day-dreaming upset our play again, and just as we started to get back on it Captain Flaptastic struck, and that turned the game completely. It is somewhat of a dichotomy - we have shown tremendous resilience and come back form  going behind, and survived periods of pressure to give us this fantastic run of for, yet today the slightest rooster-up seemed to set us back for 10 - 15 minutes at a time. Thankfully we clung on till the end and saw the match out.

We ended up with a bit of a set-back, with the Cardiff result (although it has dragged Preston backwards) and the Lawrence affair has left a bad taste. But we are the form team at the moment, so COME ON YOU RAMS!!!!!!

Don’t get carried away with being labelled as “the form team”.

Four wins in a row yes but, you can’t really count anything prior to the lockdown as contributing to current form. Also, I don’t think we looked anything like an in form team during the second half. But, getting the result was the important thing. Now onto Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Don’t get carried away with being labelled as “the form team”.

Four wins in a row yes but, you can’t really count anything prior to the lockdown as contributing to current form. Also, I don’t think we looked anything like an in form team during the second half. But, getting the result was the important thing. Now onto Wednesday.

Obviously, as cliched as it is we need to take each game as it comes but I do struggle to see us managing to beat the likes of Brentford, West Brom, Leeds, Forest etc which is required. 

26 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

The reaction on here and Twitter about Lawrence is funkin depressing. Nobody knows what actually went off between the two of them during the game. For all we know their player could’ve been baiting Lawrence all through the game. What he did was stupid, but pretty much everyone On this forum, who’s played football, has been both an antagonist and protagonist in  exactly the same kind of shoving match, so coming on here saying he should know better is very hypocritical. 

It really wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t just say “funk it” at the end of the season, and hand in a transfer request. 

So it's ok for you to assume everyone on here who's played football has headbutted someone during a game, but it is hypocritical to assume that Tom acted like a fool. 

Well that makes perfect sense! ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Understatement of the day from the BBC match report:

"The Royals were given a lifeline when Andy Rinomhota headed in just after the hour following a poor punch by keeper Ben Hamer."

Jeremy Beadle’s small hand would’ve got more distance on it

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

You really do write cracking match reports. The only thing I’d add is that reading did have 2 effective wide men with tricky feet and good ball skills. Made it difficult for us at time. That first few minutes though, you can see what PC is moving towards. I like the wisdom Clarke duo. They understand the ethos

2 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

I’m not sure if anyone has said it BUT the punch from Hamer totally changed the match.

At 2-0 at halftime we should have been in cruise control.

To be fair, Reading came back out with more purpose but, once Hamer punches the ball straight back into an area that he really shouldn’t, we just couldn’t recover.

Like a boxer leading on points that’s been winded in the 8th, we just held on and couldn’t get a passage of play back like the first half.

On whole matches, can a tiny incident like this hang.

No.  Nobody mentioned it.  Not a murmur.  Na-Ha... Nuthin'.  Didn't register a single comment.    

Archived