v Reading (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Don’t get carried away with being labelled as “the form team”.

Four wins in a row yes but, you can’t really count anything prior to the lockdown as contributing to current form. Also, I don’t think we looked anything like an in form team during the second half. But, getting the result was the important thing. Now onto Wednesday.

Very wise observation, Tamworth. Although post lockdown is completely different, we have been in top form since SuperRoon arrived, and unusually for us the effective new season hasn't found us slow out of the block as like we always are at the start of a new one. We pretty much carried on as though there hadn't been a break against Millwall, and handled the empty stadium effect really well. As I mentioned I am puzzled by how easily we got knocked out of our stride, first by a few sloppy passes in the final third, then by Fozzy getting caught in possession, then by the flapaholic. It doesn't fit with ho resilient we have become. It is something we need to work on in the next few days.

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Has anybody got anything positive to say about today's game? I enjoyed it, although it was a typical 'game of two halves'. Demonstrates how far we have come in terms of general play, both attacking and defensively. We lost 3-0 to these a few short months ago.

I thought Wisdom and Bird played particularly well.

And at least Tom had the good grace not to get sent off until after the final whistle as opposed to in the 2nd minute! ?

Thought we looked good for a 20 or 30 minute spell but it wasn't a great performance and perhaps we were a tad lucky to take all 3 points. That said, if we can under-perform and still win, I'll take that in spades. 

Agree on Bird and Wisdom. The latter was MOTM by a stretch for me. I thought Clarke looked more assured today too. He's improving under Cocu's tutelage. Duane also looked like he'd come on a bit from last week's outing.

The major positive is the 3 points though, especially as other results were favourable today. That and the fact that our upward charge continues. 

COYR

10 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Very wide observation, Tamworth. Although post lockdown is completely different, we have been in top form since SuperRoon arrived, and unusally for us the effective new season hasn't found us slow out of the block as like we always are at the start of a new one. We pretty much carried on as though there hadn't been a break against Millwall, and handled the empty stadium effect really well. As I mentioned I am puzzled by how easily we got knocked out of our stride, first by a few sloppy passes in the final third, then by Fozzy getting caught in possession, then by the flapaholic. It doesn't fit with ho resilient we have become. It is something we need to work on in the next few days.

You're right. Some serious work needs to be done if we're going to maintain the run against the top 7 teams we still have to face. We looked nothing like a form team for most of the second half. 

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

He barely moved his head, but people are acting like he lent back 45 degrees before unleashing a thunderbastard into the guys melon. It was nothing. Yellow for me at best.

We'll be appealing it then.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Yeah bad boy...someone who drives pissed up and almost kills the club captain....and then gets himself sent off after winning a pointless game against a pointless team in a pointless situation...

yeah, bad to the bone that one. 

The most yellow cards for any midfielder or forward in the division.  Always a liability

I think as a team you have to show you can win a game in different ways.

It’s so important at this stage of this season - the business end of the season.

A late equaliser for Millwall last week or Reading today and we probably have nothing to play for in the remaining seven games.

So Cocu and the boys should take great confidence from that - we were able to close out the game and keep the season alive.

Getting into the top six is still a big ask from here but it’s really pleasing to see how far we have come. In the winter, we probably would have found a way to drop points in the last two. Now belief and confidence is rolling and if we turn up, we can give anyone a game.

I think the intensity of the schedule will prove too much for us. The more you look at it, the more difficult it starts to appear. Playing 6 of the current top 7 in the space of three weeks and needing so many big performances in quick succession. We probably have to win 4-5 from 7 to give ourselves a chance. It’s a lot to ask.

So for me, I am just looking for some strong creditable performances to end the season with optimism. Let’s win our home games and not disgrace ourselves away from home and I can be happy with that.

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cocu talks about it and references himself as a YOUNG player. Lawrence isn't a young player any more surely? I don't think he'll ever learn he has a petulance that he seems unable to control, unfortunately.

Not sure its an age thing necessarily (hes 26) as an attitude thing. I actually like Lawrence's nasty streak, it just needs channeling in the right way. Clearly going after a defender 3 times after the final whistle is crossing that line, whatever the provocation.

Its obviously been well documented about him losing his Mum & the revelation in court that he was reliant on alcohol as a coping mechanism. I do wonder if his head is in a good place & hence if we need to show him more patience than most. Having someone with Rooney's life experience around may help him confront what could be underlying anger issues. Am sure he'll be gutted to miss the next few games of the run in too.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Yeah bad boy...someone who drives pissed up and almost kills the club captain....and then gets himself sent off after winning a pointless game against a pointless team in a pointless situation...

yeah, bad to the bone that one. 

Yep, no doubt about it, sarcasm translates badly onto print. 

i was making jest, it's my way of coping.

33 minutes ago, MickD said:

The most yellow cards for any midfielder or forward in the division.  Always a liability

That’s not the full picture though is it. 12 yellows (and a red) from just 57 fouls this season. A lot of those yellows have been very harsh... some even for a first offense. It was another soft yellow for him very early in the game today for example.
The likes of Morsey and Pearson are well known for their aggressive tackling, but have just 10 and 9 yellows respectively.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That’s not the full picture though is it. 12 yellows (and a red) from just 57 fouls this season. A lot of those yellows have been very harsh... some even for a first offense. It was another soft yellow for him very early in the game today for example.
The likes of Morsey and Pearson are well known for their aggressive tackling, but have just 10 and 9 yellows respectively.

I would say, yes it is the full picture... he is a liability... one thing for sure though, thanks to his mindless stupidity today he won’t be getting any booking for the next 3 games.....which just so happen to be the biggest three games of the season... tool 

After rewatching the footage over and over, I’ve broken it down into the  3 obvious phases...

1. A bit of verbals between the pair after full time whilst both walk towards each other. Tom appears to stop a few feet short of meeting, but Miazga continues. Tom leans forward as Miazga gets closer. They collide and Miazga hooks his arm around Tom’s neck to push him away. 

2. Tom’s furious at Miazga’s action and tries to square up to him but is pushed away by two hands around his neck

3. The situation has now got the better of Tom who jerks his head into Miazga’s lip. This is followed by what initially looked like a slap from Miazga but was actually a closed fist whack across the face. 

When I first watched the footage, it looked like nothing more than Tom leaning in with his head. The actual jerking motion will mean there’s zero point in appealing. 3 game ban stands. 
With Miazga, there are 3 separate incidents. I feel he may get his ban increased to 5 games (maybe more).

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Has anybody got anything positive to say about today's game? I enjoyed it, although it was a typical 'game of two halves'. Demonstrates how far we have come in terms of general play, both attacking and defensively. We lost 3-0 to these a few short months ago.

And at least Tom had the good grace not to get sent off until after the final whistle as opposed to in the 2nd minute! ?

Thank funk for @angieram. About 87% of the posts since the final whistle are all about Lawrence.

We have just won 4 on the row and the rest of the results were almost perfect. Perhaps a Preston Cardiff draw would have been better, but then again, Preston on a real downer just before we play them is good news.

No one was giving us a chance 4 game ago. Now the top 6 is pretty much in our own hands. Forest might even be catchable too. A great day.

We came away with max points.

We've got 12 points out of the last 12.

We have a young improving group of players that other teams would pay millions to poach from us.

We have an ambitious manager.

We have a fully committed chairman. (Even Lord Brian never had that!)

A loyal fanbase.

We play attractive and exciting football. (most of the time!)

Great time to be a Rams fan really!

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

He barely moved his head, but people are acting like he lent back 45 degrees before unleashing a thunderbastard into the guys melon. It was nothing. Yellow for me at best.

As I said before, he could’ve been provoked all through the game, who knows. 
As also said previously, if it was any other Derby player it would be nowhere near the same level of moaning. And considering the amount of people think he’s crap, I can’t see why there so incensed that he’ll be missing for 3 games...

I bet you believe the Palace player (won’t spell his name!) who got sent off against us for his head butt on Huddlestone was a red though!!!

9 hours ago, angieram said:

Good post and agree I thought Wisdom and Bird were our stand out performers ( must keep hold of Bird he's a real talent )

We have come a long way since those poor performances at places like  Reading and I still will not be over dissapointed if we don't make the play offs because we are going in the right direction and think Cocu deserves some praise for this 

yesterday we were on the backfoot most of the second half to an improving Reading team  ( i especially liked Elajia and was pleased to see him go off ) and I thought Cocu got his decisions right bringing on Curtis Davies and Knight and Shinnie when he did and thought we managed the game out quite well.....we will miss Tom for sure but maybe will be fresh for the play offs should we make them ....but you're right just because the second half wasn't great there are lots of negative comments......I beleive we would not have won that game a few months ago

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

We'll be appealing it then.

10 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Personally I hope we do...

Any appeal would have to be carefully handled because correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the ban get increased if the appeal is unsuccessful? If that is the case then I'm inclined to say let's accept it and move on. 

Archived