v Reading (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

I was due to miss this game last March as I was supposed to be on holiday so missing it yesterday didn’t feel like I missed anything but a great win against an opponent who always cause us major problems whenever I see us play them. 

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MickD said:

The most yellow cards for any midfielder or forward in the division.  Always a liability

His yellow card record is, of course, poor but to say he's ALWAYS a liability is crazy. 

He can be stupid, clumsy and petulant but he's not always.

Also, "the most yellow cards for any midfielder or forward in the division" is an eye catching statement of fact but, keep it in context, it's only 1 or 2 more than a whole host of other midfielders and forwards (before yesterday) It's not as if he is streets ahead of anyone else as the headline could imply. 

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

No one was giving us a chance 4 game ago. Now the top 6 is pretty much in our own hands. Forest might even be catchable too. A great day.

There was definitely at least 1 person giving us a chance, after the Charlton game i had every faith we'd pick up. 

It'll be in a post somewhere on here. Probably including my bet. 

I don't put £7 on 50/1 shots easily. I'm not that stupid. 

COYR

22 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

There was definitely at least 1 person giving us a chance, after the Charlton game i had every faith we'd pick up. 

It'll be in a post somewhere on here. Probably including my bet. 

I don't put £7 on 50/1 shots easily. I'm not that stupid. 

COYR

Yeah, I was fairly optimistic too but thought these first 2 games were crucial. Winning them both has given us a great chance now.

I just looked on Paddy Power and we are longer odds than Preston, Swansea and Millwall to make the top 6.

Bookies seem to weight upcoming fixtures far more than recent results. Preston still have some tough fixtures but have won just 1 in 7 and 0 in 5.

They must be counting the games vs Brentford, Leeds and WBA against us, although Leeds will probably be up already by that point.

13 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I don’t think there is any evidence that he almost ‘killed’ anyone. Stop overreacting. ?‍♂️

I would say when he and (Bennett) made the choice to get behind the wheel and drive after having a skinful definitely increased the chance of potentially killing someone. Talk to anyone affected by someones actions of drink driving. I don't think saying this is an overreaction is fair to be honest.

What matters is that they have both learned their lessons and have been educated on the dangers of what they have done and that the ban on driving has taught them this.

I also believe the ref got it right in sending both off yesterday. Would have I reacted in the same way? Probably. It is heat of the moment, we all know our limits.

13 hours ago, angieram said:

Has anybody got anything positive to say about today's game? I enjoyed it, although it was a typical 'game of two halves'. Demonstrates how far we have come in terms of general play, both attacking and defensively. We lost 3-0 to these a few short months ago.

I thought that Wisdom and Clarke were excellent both on the ball and in defence and, other than the self-inflicted wound of Hamer's punch, Reading never looked like scoring.  

As for Max Bird, it is one thing for a team to man mark somebody who is England and Man United's all-time record goalscorer.  For them to do the same thing for a teenager with about 15 league starts behind him is remarkable, and it shows just how quickly Bird is becoming recognised as a major talent.

A last word for poor old Ben Hamer.  Up to his moment of madness, I actually thought he was having one of his better games, to the extent that I could bear to watch when the opposition had a corner....

Not at our best yesterday but got the job done. We were good defensively when it mattered but still have same issues defending the wide areas that have plagued us all season. Big difference now though to earlier in the season - we now score goals!! 

Fantastic result and although it’s a tough run in, we have it in our own hands and have a great shout for the playoffs.

Tom Lawrence. What a goal! Then complete brain fade. Should’ve just laughed in the reading player’s face (that would’ve wound him up even more) then walked away. Easy to say though, no doubt he wasn’t the aggressor. 
We now miss a key player, a match winner for 3 big games. We will cope as the squad is starting to look really strong now but we will miss him. Those that say he’s a liability - ridiculous comments. Yes he ducked up yesterday and he gets too many yellow cards, but 10 goals is an excellent return and only Messi has scored as many goals outside the box as Tom in European football this season. He works hard, his pace and running stretches teams and he has a lot of quality and while he can improve further, this season has been his most consistent yet. There is a reason why Lampard and now Cocu keep picking him.

Idiot for getting himself sent off, but he’s never done anything like that before. Hopefully he won’t again. 

Our Tom seems every so often tends to make the wrong decision at the wrong time and get himself in a right pickle when there seems no apparent reason to do so.

The result being he ends up with a 'slap on hand' or in this case on the face. 

Someone needs to guide him to grow up a little and act his age he needs to set an example to likes of bird, bogle, sibley and the other youngters at the club as 'senior' pro.

Come on Cocu sort him out and get him focused on what he is good at football please

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah, I was fairly optimistic too but thought these first 2 games were crucial. Winning them both has given us a great chance now.

I just looked on Paddy Power and we are longer odds than Preston, Swansea and Millwall to make the top 6.

Bookies seem to weight upcoming fixtures far more than recent results. Preston still have some tough fixtures but have won just 1 in 7 and 0 in 5.

They must be counting the games vs Brentford, Leeds and WBA against us, although Leeds will probably be up already by that point.

Only Brentford looks incredibly difficult but an early goal followed by re-enactment of the Alamo might see us through.

Cocu said no place for lack of control of emotions in the squad especially when the game was over. We were lucky that it did not happen much earlier. No crowds and five subs suits our game. Shinnie and Davies coming on is quite reassuring. You have to say Shinnie is doing a crucial job when he comes on. A real squad effort. We need some outstanding displays by Hamer now if you are to make the playoffs. Keeping clean sheets against the top six looks tricky but we need to stick to our game and slow the opposition down.

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think they are also weighting chance of a points deduction too, hence the good odds. 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

On the subjet o the tough run in, we get the chance to take points of other contenders.

It's as much a blessing as a curse.

Cardiff have an easier on paper run in than we do. If we match them till we play them then that game could be the decider as Cardiff have Hull at home on the last day.

With 9 to go I said that we needed 6 wins and 2 draws. Revise that now to 4 wins and 2 draws. Beat Preston and Florist then maybe 2 wins and 2 draws would do it if we beat Cardiff. Ignoring goal difference and if we beat Cardiff then Cardiff would need 11 points to catch us from 6 games therefore 3 wins and 2 draws.

8 hours ago, Rampage said:

With 9 to go I said that we needed 6 wins and 2 draws. Revise that now to 4 wins and 2 draws. Beat Preston and Florist then maybe 2 wins and 2 draws would do it if we beat Cardiff. Ignoring goal difference and if we beat Cardiff then Cardiff would need 11 points to catch us from 6 games therefore 3 wins and 2 draws.

It's going to take a lot more than that 2nd half performance against Reading to achieve what you suggest. Makes the Lawrence 3 match ban all the more disappointing. He is one of our better players, a regular in the team and a potential match winner. We could have done without it. 

On 27/06/2020 at 19:16, RoyMac5 said:

Errr a headbutt gets you sent off, he kept going back for more and headbutted finally. Cocu was disappointed, I bet he's furious too.

Hence my comment about being antagonistic but Miazga reacts far more violently than Lawrence does which is why it doesn't seem fair for them to receive the same punishment. I never disputed the validity of Lawrence's red...

On 27/06/2020 at 16:04, Van Cone De Head said:

If Toms got a three match ban,Mitrovic should get 5 for that challenge.

Mitrovic only gets a 3 game ban. Not even the first time he’s done it. 

So a little peck of a headbutt; two hands around the neck to push someone away and a punch across the face; a malicious and deliberate elbow to the face.. all equal punishment ?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Mitrovic only gets a 3 game ban. Not even the first time he’s done it. 

So a little peck of a headbutt; two hands around the neck to push someone away and a punch across the face; a malicious and deliberate elbow to the face.. all equal punishment ?‍♂️

It was GBH.

Archived