v Reading (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good performance against Millwall, but still room for improvement. Defence was solid for the most part, but still not dealing with crosses well enough. Matt Smith might be a man mountain but their second goal could have been prevented too. Midfield trio look good, composed and hungry. Rooney has been inspirational leading Max and Louie through games.

Chrissy to start? Did Holmes offer enough over Knight or (dare I say it) a rejuvenated FloJo? I haven't seen him play yet, and am going off purely what I have read about training and the friendly with Stoke, but FloJo (and other technical 'confidence' players) may thrive without fans in the stadium to impact their morale. I wouldn't start him yet, but I definitely want to see him off the bench given a decent amount of time to impress.

For me, positions up for discussion - GK, LB (Lowe or Fozzy), RW, ST

Pleased with the solid start to the resumed season.

Should that Sibley kid lose his place after missing those two sitters?

Ignore the fact that he carved open the chances himself, or that he scored three tremendous goals, or that he gave a generally masterful midfield performance irrespective of the goals and the constant threat that he carried throughout the game.

COYR ?

2 hours ago, r4derby said:

Good performance against Millwall, but still room for improvement. Defence was solid for the most part, but still not dealing with crosses well enough. Matt Smith might be a man mountain but their second goal could have been prevented too. Midfield trio look good, composed and hungry. Rooney has been inspirational leading Max and Louie through games.

Chrissy to start? Did Holmes offer enough over Knight or (dare I say it) a rejuvenated FloJo? I haven't seen him play yet, and am going off purely what I have read about training and the friendly with Stoke, but FloJo (and other technical 'confidence' players) may thrive without fans in the stadium to impact their morale. I wouldn't start him yet, but I definitely want to see him off the bench given a decent amount of time to impress.

For me, positions up for discussion - GK, LB (Lowe or Fozzy), RW, ST

Pleased with the solid start to the resumed season.

Forsyth over Lowe, Knight over Holmes, Martin over Waghorn. Hamer to stay in goal. Energy and mobility have been the hallmarks of our last 3 performances and we seem to have “bounce back ability” aplenty which is a great sign, that I think Rooney has instilled. Can we win 4 on the bounce? 

30 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Forsyth over Lowe, Knight over Holmes, Martin over Waghorn. Hamer to stay in goal. Energy and mobility have been the hallmarks of our last 3 performances and we seem to have “bounce back ability” aplenty which is a great sign, that I think Rooney has instilled. Can we win 4 on the bounce? 

Yes.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Should that Sibley kid lose his place after missing those two sitters?

Ignore the fact that he carved open the chances himself, or that he scored three tremendous goals, or that he gave a generally masterful midfield performance irrespective of the goals and the constant threat that he carried throughout the game.

COYR ?

Stick him back in the 23's, don't want him getting too big for his boots.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Hamer

Bogle

Wisdom

Clarke

Forsyth

Bird

Rooney

Holmes

Sibley

Lawrence

Martin

The formation is a bit narrow don't you think?

Player wise I'd agree, but I'd go with Waghorn over Martin. Cocu himself said Waghorn and Sibley worked better as a pair - and between them they bagged 3 goals. 

2 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Player wise I'd agree, but I'd go with Waghorn over Martin. Cocu himself said Waghorn and Sibley worked better as a pair - and between them they bagged 3 goals. 

They’ll never see it coming, they’ll never see it coming!

I know it’s harsh to drop Waghorn after we have just won and he chipped in with an assist.

It’s just personal preference. I think Martin makes us tick.

But obviously if Waghorn starts and we play well and win, no-one will be complaining.

5 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Player wise I'd agree, but I'd go with Waghorn over Martin. Cocu himself said Waghorn and Sibley worked better as a pair - and between them they bagged 3 goals

Hate to be pedantic but they didn't score 3 goals between them, as Waghorn didn't score, Sibley scored 3 goals. Also Waghorn wasn't on the pitch when Sibley scored his third. 

1 minute ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I would go for Martin over Waghorn, better linkup play and I think Reading will sit quite deep so will need a hold up player more than Waghorn' s extra mobility.

Although you could argue Waghorn is more likely to drag their CBs out of position allowing Sibley the space to grab another hat-trick

Roos

Bogle Davies Clarke Forsyth

Bird Rooney

Josefzoon Sibley Lawrence 

Waghorn

Still not convinced by Hamer, and his distribution isn’t good enough, so Roos would still be my number 1. For whatever reason Wisdom looked totally off it against Millwall, wasn’t just a lack of fitness, it was a lack of focus too. If he hasn’t sorted that out, then Davies will have to come in to steady the defence. I don’t like Holmes out wide, so I think it’s time for the Josefzoon experiment to see if he’s any better behind closed doors. Hopefully he will add a bit more genuine width to the team.

3 hours ago, rynny said:

Hate to be pedantic but they didn't score 3 goals between them, as Waghorn didn't score, Sibley scored 3 goals. Also Waghorn wasn't on the pitch when Sibley scored his third. 

Being more pedantic, Hamer and Sibley scored three goals between them. as did Bogle and Sibley, as did Forsyth and Sibley, as did.....

Archived