Jim Smith

SamUltraRam

RIP, Jim Smith, a great manager and a great character, sadly football does not have many people left like Jim, really enjoyed watching his teams destroy great teams like Man United, Liverpool, Tottenham and many others away from home, and play a way I would love to see Derby play now, thanks for all the memory's, sure u will get a fantastic send off at pp tomorrow night, let's all hear Jim Smiths barmy Army, Jim and Arthur have been my 2 favourite managers since supporting Derby back in 79.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The appointment of Jim personally served up one of the earliest slices of humble pie. 
When he was announced I was 20 years old and fuming that “we had appointed this old journeyman, has been”. How wrong I was, thanks for all the great memories Jim and that first experience of footballing humility. RIP and thank you ?????

4 hours ago, blackNwhites said:

Middlesbrough at home, 10 men and Johnathon Hunt bags a winner for 2-1 win is a great memory. Bald eagles barmy army for years. Proper gutted he's gone.

What a game and atmosphere that was. I have always maintained that a sense of injustice is the thing that always rouses the Derby crowd. Townsend was disgraceful. The feeling when that goal went in...and wasn’t there something beautifully contentious about a throw in that led to it?

anyway, the Bald Eagle. Rest in peace, have a glass of red with Cloughie and remember all the good times. I do. 

Such sad news, but he will live on in the hearts and minds of many.

For Rams fans of a certain age, when we think of ‘the beautiful game’, we think of Jim Smith and what a gentleman he was, and we think of his Derby team of the late 90s.

He brought so much pride and joy to our little corner of England.

Growing up, I remember watching the VHS tapes of our Premiership seasons again and again and I would never tire of seeing Eranio, Baiano, Asanovic, Stimac, Sturridge, and of course my favourite player, Wanchope,  run rings around the country’s elite.

I remember being decked out in full kit from head to toe year in year out during those years, either poaching goals for fun on the green outside my house or weaving my way past kids wearing Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Barca or Inter Milan shirts.

But in those days, if you were a Ram, you wouldn’t dream of wearing any other shirt, and Jim Smith was an integral part in that.

Just think of how many young lads from Derby would be United or Arsenal fans now if it weren’t for Jim.

RIP, Bald Eagle. ? 

4 hours ago, Josh said:

There’s a video on youtube of when we played Man United at old Trafford, we needed to win to stay up. United were already champions, we got the win and Sir Alex came over and gave Jim a big hug. That’s how much Jim was liked. Lovely scene. 

...we spoiled the Man Ure party that day. Sir Alex gave Jim a £600 bottle of claret after that game in Fergy’s office which Jim duly opened and quaffed whilst chomping on a fat Cuban cigar. And we had all questioned Lionel’s appointment of him. How little we knew. Sad day. RIP Bald Eagle. We will never forget you. 

Very sad. Great man and a great manager. I remember him being asked how he carried out transfer negotiations with players, and agents. He said he would take the player into a room just 2 chairs and a desk and look them in the eye as he discussed what he expected.. These days players would run out in tears ??

24 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

What a game and atmosphere that was. I have always maintained that a sense of injustice is the thing that always rouses the Derby crowd. Townsend was disgraceful. The feeling when that goal went in...and wasn’t there something beautifully contentious about a throw in that led to it?

anyway, the Bald Eagle. Rest in peace, have a glass of red with Cloughie and remember all the good times. I do. 

Yes...fuzzy memory but Paul Ince incensed the crowd by harassing the ref all game and was down “injured” when Derby took the throw just prior to Hunt rifling it home. Boro protested that the game should’ve been stopped but the ref then sent Ince off for something he said. Brilliant night. 

I was lucky enough to start watching the Rams as a 10 year old in 1970 so have seen us be the best team in the land for a 6 year period, winning two titles.

I then witnessed the years of decline through the early 80’s until King Arthur brought us back and then the next decline which led to Jim Smith. 

I was then lucky enough to share the Smith years with my son who was born in 1983.....We queued up all night outside the Baseball Ground to get tickets for the last ever game there  v Arsenal, we were at the first ever game at Pride Park, we danced along Sir Matt Busby way together  after the Wanchope victory at Old Trafford, we had season tickets at Pride Park from the day it opened. 

As much as I am privileged to have seen the title winning glory years I got more pleasure sharing the Jim Smith years with my lad than anything else 

I thank Jim Smith for giving me those years watching the Rams with my son filled with unbelievable moments of football pleasure and creating a bond that we will share for ever.

20 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was lucky enough to start watching the Rams as a 10 year old in 1970 so have seen us be the best team in the land for a 6 year period, winning two titles.

I then witnessed the years of decline through the early 80’s until King Arthur brought us back and then the next decline which led to Jim Smith. 

I was then lucky enough to share the Smith years with my son who was born in 1983.....We queued up all night outside the Baseball Ground to get tickets for the last ever game there  v Arsenal, we were at the first ever game at Pride Park, we danced along Sir Matt Busby way together  after the Wanchope victory at Old Trafford, we had season tickets at Pride Park from the day it opened. 

As much as I am privileged to have seen the title winning glory years I got more pleasure sharing the Jim Smith years with my lad than anything else 

I thank Jim Smith for giving me those years watching the Rams with my son filled with unbelievable moments of football pleasure and creating a bond that we will share for ever.

That was a special post. It sort of hit home why we go through the bad times unwavering. You never know when the next Clough, Cox or Smith could walk through the door and give us new memories to take with us through this life. 

I always think of that distinctive gravelly voice....bet he was amazing at half time laying into players or getting them psyched and passionate pre-match. 

I remember discussing with my Man City and Villa mates who would finish highest in the league.... 

Totally agree it shames me a little how we haven't said thanks for what he achieved til its too late. 

Legend is a word used too much...

But R. I. P TBE.. Derby Legend. 

Archived