Jim Smith

SamUltraRam

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always gutting to lose a club legend, wish we’d made more of our love for him whilst he was alive. Was saddened to hear his quality of life wasn’t what he deserved over the last couple of years. Hopefully he past away without pain or fear, and with a smile and the knowledge of how highly he’s regarded. 

RIP Sir x

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I love that picture, so full of enjoyment in the company of other Rams.

Yes exactly that ! It encapsulates what a top funny man he was, he was roaring with laughter in that picture about something that he had just said about Paula Wanchope ! A real man of the people.

This one hit differently. I would've been four when he was hired and I was ten when he was let go. I was obsessed with that Derby team - it really set the tone to how I feel about the club now. 

I really don't think I have the vocabulary or the time on this earth to vocalise just how influential he was in my childhood. All I can do is thank him for that. I hope the club really do something tomorrow and the fans give him a good send off. 

RIP Bald Eagle. 

32 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Admins, maybe we could name the chat room 'The Jim Smith Room' for a few days, or even forever?

Many younger Rams fans here have never seen a more successful Rams manager. And although I have, that team he built was something very special. 

Lovely idea, quickly actioned. 

The Bald Eagle is a legend, both to me as a Rams fan and to my friends here in Oxford who watched him take a sleepy little small town club from Division 3 to the First Division playing the best football they had ever seen. His time at a Derby was a golden era - who can forget beating Palace to clinch promotion at the BBG and turning Man Utd over at their place with that wonder goal  from Wanchope? So many great players and great football too.
Rest in peace Jim, and thank you for all the wonderful times you gave us.

As others have said, I wasn't overenthused by the appointment but he absolutely revitalised the club.

He gave us great times, he gave us great players: Stimac, Eranio, Baiano, Poom, Asanovic, Wanchope, Sturridge. He put the pride into Pride Park.

I'm from the Clough era but, along with Cox, Jim is a standout manager and we owe him so much.

Thank you Jim, TBE, RIP ? ?

Archived