Jim Smith

SamUltraRam

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time 20 years ago, having been in love with Derby County on the radio and TV for 2 years, I was magically excited to get absolutely everything Derby related for Christmas. The kits, DCFC goalkeeper gloves, framed photo of pride park, bed covers, sunglasses, videos, mugs, pencils, chocolates, you name it.

Late on Christmas Day I went to my Dad's house for the next batch of presents (the perks of separated parents). Yet more Derby related items until finally, one big box. I open the box which seems empty but for an envelope. Within that envelope was 2 tickets to see Derby County at Pride Park the following day. To this day I don't think I have ever been so innocently excited.

This love was created by Mr Jim Smith. None of my family was Derby fans. I long for my son to feel that pure excitement on whatever he chooses to enjoy in life.

Thank you for my first love which will never leave me Jim Smith. Fly high bald eagle.

6 hours ago, S8TY said:

I will admit to being underwhelmed when we appointed Jim Smith but how wrong you can be....genuinely nice man and great manager for Derby County.

I remember talking to Darryl Powell ( the football genius ) who was on my flight back from Spain ...he said he went to Derby because of Jim Smith and said he was a fantastic bloke and he'd follow him anywhere...what a fantastic statement to make 

I actually think he was a bit of a legend for us and was a funny man and  and well liked by  everyone by all accounts,  he certainly revived us at a critical time.Thankyou Jim aka "The bald eagle " for some great memories  

A very sad day indeed RIP big Jim ? 

Bit late catching up on this news but your post made question wasn’t Daryl going out with one of Jim’s daughters; seem to recall hearing it?

Anyway as so many others have said top bloke RIP Jim

2 hours ago, Dethorn said:

Great read - one of my favourite biographies

My favourite bit is the line where he quotes Vic and Bob "you wouldn't let it lie" in an attempt to seem down with the (mid 90s) kids - but then has to explain for all the other old folks  who they are and that it's their catchphrase  ?

8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

This thread has been a wonderful tribute to a true Derby County legend and great man.

I haven't cried this much since Mr. Clough died.

?

I said earlier, it’s like losing a family member. 

For me, Jim brought me, my dad and football together and that carried on until I lost my dad 3 years ago. 

I’m not ashamed to say I’ve had tears and a lump in my throat since 7pm last night. 

Candles lit, photographs kissed and me and my mum crying together. ♥️

I was lucky enough to meet TBE a few times - a proper bloke. 

He understood the fans, the players, tactics - all of it. The signings were so exciting - from class like Eranio to flair like Wanchope. What a time to be a Rams fan! I missed out on the glory years but his era was just a great ride. 

He was by far the most likeable manager we’ve had in my years and proved me wrong as I was hugely underwhelmed by his appointment. 

A proper bloke due massive respect. RIP TBE. 

Loved the Bald Eagle years. Exciting time to be a Ram. Stimac, Asanovic, Wanchope, Eranio, Baiano and a whole load of great home grown talent, Sturridge, Johnson, Powell et al. Wins against Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs etc. Always played decent attacking football, shame it all had to end. Seemed thoroughly decent, honest sort of bloke as well. RIP Jim

Archived