Jim Smith

SamUltraRam

Met Sir Bobby Charlton at a book signing a few years back after Jim had moved on and told him I was a RAMS fan. His eyes lit up and told me what a great bloke Jim was and how in his opinion he should have been involved with the England team in some capacity.

No higher praise than that from a true world class football legend.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really sad to hear this. A hero of mine. A true rams legend. I was too young to remember the cox era apart from the back end when it wasn’t so good, TBE’s time at Derby is my highlight as a fan, unbelievable football. Always remember tearing Arsenal apart at home the year they won the league title for first time under Wenger. Special memories!

Thanks for everything Jim. And for those who haven’t read it, I highly recommend  his autobiography “It’s only a game” remember getting it for Christmas when it first came out, some real insights into football Derby and in particular into the man himself.

On 10/12/2019 at 20:28, SaintRam said:

I was going to suggest the South Stand. Always the most populated; always the loudest. Seems like it'd be perfect for that to be the Jim Smith Stand.

Unless it has a name I didn't notice. 

Some permanent tribute or stand being named after Jimmy is a must. Arguably there would be no Pride Park if the great man hadn't achieved success at DCFC. 

For me Theres only Arthur cox’s dean Saunders, Paul Goddard, ted McMinn side that could compete for me with jim smiths side he put together here 

his side gave me, my dad and my brothers some amazing memories  that I will always treasure 

Thankyou bald eagle it was our honour to have u at our club

rip 

2 hours ago, europia said:

Some permanent tribute or stand being named after Jimmy is a must. Arguably there would be no Pride Park if the great man hadn't achieved success at DCFC. 

Need something for King Arthur as well. 

The only legend we’ve managed to do anything for whilst they were alive was Gordon Guthrie so be nice to appreciate Arthur whilst he’s still knocking about.

Unless McFarland really does appreciate a bar…

13 hours ago, europia said:

Always thought it would be nice to see more pictures or nods to past legends visible at pride park (stands not concourses) similar time what Leicester do. 

1 hour ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Always thought it would be nice to see more pictures or nods to past legends visible at pride park (stands not concourses) similar time what Leicester do. 

It helps that Leicester's biggest legend is still playing for them every week too!

Sorry ya hear abart Jim .. he used ta pop round and see me and Hilda ... Hilda Meks a reet nice pork pie.. nah jim come once and I served him some o pie. He sez bloody hell owd miner this dunt taste like pork pie... I said it int jim its ferret pie... hildas tried a new recipe and we carnt afford pork. Oh how he laughed ... whilst smoking a big Cuban cigar.ive nah renamed mi best pigeon "bald eagle " in honour of jim . Rest in peace Jim lad ... 

Apologies if this has already been quoted but it really did make me LOL and summed up Jim's personality perfectly. Think it may have been when he was managing Newcastle

'I understand Walter Smith has described the referee as diabolical,' he once said after a punishing afternoon at Everton. 'I didn't think he was as good as that.'  ?

The moment Van Der Laan scored against Palace, was up there as my best DCFC moment. On the popside, with my mates, on the pitch I think afterwards, week on week seeing Sturridge rip apart defences and Stimac Imperial at the back was amazing.

And then it got better. We had world class players like Eranio, Asanovic and Biano come (ok world class might push it, but they weren't far off were they). We made some relatively unknown players - Laursen, Poom, Wanchope become top players in the EPL and beat the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and the rest like the top 6 side we were.

This was Jim's team and I will be in your debt forever, thank you sir for the memories and RIP.

18 minutes ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

The moment Van Der Laan scored against Palace, was up there as my best DCFC moment. On the popside, with my mates, on the pitch I think afterwards, week on week seeing Sturridge rip apart defences and Stimac Imperial at the back was amazing.

And then it got better. We had world class players like Eranio, Asanovic and Biano come (ok world class might push it, but they weren't far off were they). We made some relatively unknown players - Laursen, Poom, Wanchope become top players in the EPL and beat the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and the rest like the top 6 side we were.

This was Jim's team and I will be in your debt forever, thank you sir for the memories and RIP.

Deep in my ‘Season Ticket, every game home and away’ period. I often think , ‘Its only when its over do you realise when you were in the middle of it’. Those days finishing my delivery on the post fast as I could Sat morn then a dash home changed and food on the go before heading off from Stockport, sometimes faster than I should I confess,picking up mates from various points, to make the game home or away,  home still being an away for me. Ahh such happy days watching those players. Thanks Jim, you can watch all the games for free now Big Fella . ?

12 hours ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

I was on the Pop side that day too. And those guys were absolutely World class no question in my mind. 

Archived