Jim Smith

SamUltraRam

Wasn't going to go, but will be there tomorrow night for a rendition of Bald Eagle's Barmy Army now and going to watch the 97/98 season review on VHS this evening.

His was the Derby team of my childhood.

Shook his hand on two occasions - once in the old lottery office on the South East Corner of Pride Park when I went to pick up my junior rams membership card at the age of 6 or 7. Quite why he was in there I have no idea. He offered me a bag of crisps from a big cardboard box. I was probably too shy to accept them.

Then again about 10 years later when Jim was in Corporate hospitality (quite what I was doing there I have no idea).

One from the old school.

RIP Jim.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

As others have said, I wasn't overenthused by the appointment but he absolutely revitalised the club.

He gave us great times, he gave us great players: Stimac, Eranio, Baiano, Poom, Asanovic, Wanchope, Sturridge. He put the pride into Pride Park.

I'm from the Clough era but, along with Cox, Jim is a standout manager and we owe him so much.

Thank you Jim, TBE, RIP ? ?

The story with Eranio (if true), Smith collected him from Manchester airport and drove him to Derby via the Peak District to make a good impression on him, and to help convince him to sign ?

I'm from the Clough and Taylor era but this guy is right up there with them.

Genuinely sad and upset by this.  

A man of the old school who adapted as the game did - just fantastic memories and I shall raise a glass to him tonight

RIP Bald Eagle - you will never be forgotten.

You read other parts of this forum and see the division we have in opinion, but you read through this thread and remember we're all Derby.  Thanks for the great team you gave us, the enthusiasm and passion you showed, the dignity with which you carried yourself and represented our club and thank you for the wonderful memories you gave us all.  Hopefully from this terrible news we can all unite and get behind the team, everyone one of us, because that is what he would want. 

Once a ram always ram.

RIP TBE

God damn it!!! It just isn’t fair that the likes of Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins, Trump & Boris are still upright & breathing yet a true gent like The Bald Eagle has passed. 

For football you had us play, the unbelievable players you signed, the modern fantastic stadium and training facilities you helped build, I just want to give my whole hearted thanks. I will be forever grateful for some of the best times following this club. RIP Jim and god bless ?

1 hour ago, blackNwhites said:

Middlesbrough at home, 10 men and Johnathon Hunt bags a winner for 2-1 win is a great memory. Bald eagles barmy army for years. Proper gutted he's gone.

What an atmosphere this was. The whole ground it seemed at the top of their voices forever singing ‘Bald Eagles Barmy Army’ The first time Pride Park had experienced it. Wanchope sent off and we all were together as one before Hunt headed the winner, an unlikely hero. Great afternoon.

Great manager, the players he bought and the football played make him my favourite Rams boss. Great times. RIP.

Archived