Jim Smith

SamUltraRam

When I was young lad I enjoyed playing football but wasn't much into following it, until Jim arrived at Derby, literally the first game I listened to on RD was the 1-5 against Tranmere.

There's no doubt he is directly responsible for the larger than average following Derby have now have a club, it was a fantastic time to be a fan.

Even the season we went down, we had the best record under Jim and may have stayed up had they not sacked him.

RIP Jim, you gave me and countless others so many happy memories that we haven't come even remotely close to achieving since.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A brilliant manager. He took us up with some amazing football during the promotion season 95-96. I remember the players running out to Queen and everyone chanting we are top of the league. Amazing times. 
Really close to qualifying for Europe around 97 /98 at one point we had just beaten Arsenal 3-0 and in the top six with a game in hand. His partnership with McClaren seemed to really work. 
Brought some fantastic players to our club. A sad moment. 

I usually come on here, browse and flick through 1 page of comments and leave, but I've sat and read 10 pages worth.

I was born in '94 and the reason I started loving Derby County wasn't because of Jim Smith or at least I thought not, I fell in love with the players we had during his time. Eranio, Baiano, Poom, Struridge and the others. I had every kit with a different player on every time. But getting to around 10 years old and understanding why I love Derby, was all because of Jim Smith.

Thanks Jim, RIP.

I will admit to being underwhelmed when we appointed Jim Smith but how wrong you can be....genuinely nice man and great manager for Derby County.

I remember talking to Darryl Powell ( the football genius ) who was on my flight back from Spain ...he said he went to Derby because of Jim Smith and said he was a fantastic bloke and he'd follow him anywhere...what a fantastic statement to make 

I actually think he was a bit of a legend for us and was a funny man and  and well liked by  everyone by all accounts,  he certainly revived us at a critical time.Thankyou Jim aka "The bald eagle " for some great memories  

A very sad day indeed RIP big Jim ? 

Very Sad news, probably my favourite time as a Derby fan, gave so much to so many people.

I was by chance at the Jim Smith Cup final in (I think) 1986 where his new QPR team lined up against his Oxford team - I think therefore he is only one of two or three to have a final named after him.

As others have said some of the players he brought in have become Derby legends - Stimac and Poom in particular.

To try to lift the mood a little - I remember a bit from his book.

He was complaining about fines and touchline bans for calling out the refs as duck**g cheats when his daughter said why do you not keep your calm and just say "I do not know how you sleep at night"

So with this in mind after another occasion where his team had lost points to yet another refereeing decision he approached the ref and said 

"I do not know how you sleep at night "

"Cos your a duck**g Cheat"

Brilliant

RIP & Thanks Jim

This is very sad indeed.

As a 28 year old, my bigger memories were more towards the back end of his reign here, but my very first memories and games were all under him. That game at Man Utd with the Wanchope goal was the beginning of this life long Derby County affliction for me.

He was a tremendous man, universally liked by everyone which is truly rare. "Celebrity" deaths don't usually bother me at all because it's not like I actually know them - some would call me heartless, but that's the way I am - however, this almost feels like losing a grandparent or something. Hard to describe it.

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Naturally, this thread is very sad. But it's also quite lovely.

I just hope he had some idea of what he did here. He gave a whole generation of fan their glory days. He tied that generation to following Derby County for the rest of their lives because of the football we played but more importantly the characters he recruited. 

I know the line will be "lead Derby to promotion and their highest finish in the Premier League" etc but that wasn't the magic. 

The magic was what separates Lampard from Rowett. It's the feel and character of the club. Those special games in a season that linger in memory. Lampard brought a touch of it but Jim Smith brought mountains of it. 

The saddest part for me is that there's a chance he might not realise the affection for the club he created and how it's kept burning for so many years after

We will need another Jim Smith one day as other generations come up and don't really get on board with supporting this nothingness club. But for now I think the flame still burns enough. 

The best way to describe it to younger fans is imagine Frank Lampard's team character with McClaren's team ability. Two tasters of what Jim Smith brought in his time here. The buzz is what stays in memory. Not necessarily just promotions etc. 

I really hope he had some idea on his impact. No way would so many fans keep plodding on believing there's a Jim Smith around the corner if we hadn't had The Bald Eagle and his tribe of great characters and enjoyable footballers. 

11 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Brilliant stuff, thanks for posting!

'Would be nice. Is nice' not quite interesting, very interesting, but still pretty good.

As was 'it's party tricks now'

Barry was always way ahead of Mottie imho.

At 8:38, can you imagine how good you'd feel getting a double thumbs up from Jim on the sideline...

45 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I just hope he had some idea of what he did here. He gave a whole generation of fan their glory days. He tied that generation to following Derby County for the rest of their lives because of the football we played but more importantly the characters he recruited. 

I know the line will be "lead Derby to promotion and their highest finish in the Premier League" etc but that wasn't the magic. 

The magic was what separates Lampard from Rowett. It's the feel and character of the club. Those special games in a season that linger in memory. Lampard brought a touch of it but Jim Smith brought mountains of it. 

The saddest part for me is that there's a chance he might not realise the affection for the club he created and how it's kept burning for so many years after

We will need another Jim Smith one day as other generations come up and don't really get on board with supporting this nothingness club. But for now I think the flame still burns enough. 

The best way to describe it to younger fans is imagine Frank Lampard's team character with McClaren's team ability. Two tasters of what Jim Smith brought in his time here. The buzz is what stays in memory. Not necessarily just promotions etc. 

I really hope he had some idea on his impact. No way would so many fans keep plodding on believing there's a Jim Smith around the corner if we hadn't had The Bald Eagle and his tribe of great characters and enjoyable footballers. 

His eye for a bargain was amazing also - I can’t remember the fees but I’m sure a lot of buys were on the cheap such as Christian Dailly, Jacob Laursen and Asanovic. 

I think our 97/98 team was really close to being a top side. We just fell away a bit second half of the season. This time in 1997, we had 26 points from 16 matches, this premier league season that would put us above Wolves and Man U for comparison. 

This is indeed a sad day.

I worked for the Club at the start of Jim's tenure (in fact he wore my club tie at his unveiling press conference) and I recall the general underwhelming feeling that greeted his appointment. But actually he was the absolute perfect fit for the Rams because him and the owner were like two peas in a pod!

Jim was the football man and Lionel the money and they got on very, very well. Probably helped by the fact Lionel owned a pub - I think there were more than few lock-ins at the Yew Tree over the years!

Lionel trusted Jim to do his work and Jim repaid that trust by serving up the kind of football Lionel craved to watch, and we all got to ride on the coat tails of that incredible journey. Good football, great characters and unbelievable highs - never more so than that first season at Pride Park when we all did live the dream.

Thank you Jim for delivering the happiest of times. And thank you to Lionel too, for providing the red wine that fuelled it!!

Very sad news.  I started following this great club purely by fluke in the mid/late 70s (I'm a southerner!) but my biggest and best memories have to be the Jim Smith era where he really put us on the map.  If it was dementia then doubly sad. I lost my aunt to that not long ago and it's incredibly painful to watch.  RIP Jim.  Your memory will forever live on at this club. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I just hope he had some idea of what he did here... He tied that generation to following Derby County for the rest of their lives... 

I don't think this is either the time nor place for apportioning blame!

*Only joking Jim... but you knew that, right!   ;-)

I have 28 year old triplets, two girls and a boy. The current Mrs Ilkley is their step mum. I was lucky in that I had plenty of access to the kids throughout their lives. Master Ilkley lives in London and has always been a rabid Rams fan and ST holder. The girls have always followed the Rams, but from a distance. 

Jim's side was the one the kids and Mrs Ilkley all first remember. Mrs I because we were first courting and she used to come with me to the BBG and then PP; the kids because they recall the excitement when I took them and us all singing loudly in the car about his lack of hair. The girls woke me early this morning (master Ilkley and I talked last night when the news came through) with a text discussion about how sad they were to hear the news and recalling the fun they had had at the matches but mostly about singing that they didn't care about his lack of hair.

Thank you Jim for helping to create long lasting and happy memories for me and my family.

Archived