Jim Smith

SamUltraRam

Had a season ticket throughout the Jim Smith era, everyone loved us and even Alan Hansen used to smile at our play on match of the day. What a mix of players he assembled - if only we could have one of Baino, Eranio, Asanovic, Sturridge, Rowett, Powell x2, Wanchope, van der Laan or of course Stimac in our team now. With all the money in football now and how it has changed, I cant imagine such a joyous time to be a Derby fan again although would love to be wrong. Jim and Steve amazing team. Best wishes to Jim's family. R.I.P Jim a true legend. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

It was this one.

8 mins or so in - never seen this with Barry Davies commentary before. Enjoy Jim's (and Steve's) reaction to that Carsley goal.

Brilliant stuff, thanks for posting!

'Would be nice. Is nice' not quite interesting, very interesting, but still pretty good.

As was 'it's party tricks now'

Barry was always way ahead of Mottie imho.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

My happiest memories of the rams were under his management.

im not often saddened by ‘celebrity’ deaths, but I’m properly gutted about this one.

i hope he goes to heaven with the sound of ‘Bald Eagle’s Barmy Army’ ringing in his ears. Bless you Jim, you lovely, brilliant man. 

Exactly this.... thank you and god bless you Jim. 

50 minutes ago, ramtique said:

Along with Arthur Cox, Jim was the manager who made my life as a Rams supporting teenager/twentysomething truly memorable.

Will never forget - like everyone else- the team he built around Wanchope, Eranio, Baiano, Stimac, Sturtidge etc. But some of my favourite memories were carved before some of those arrived, during that first season when we were promoted.. the 3-1 win over eventual champions Sunderland at the old BBG .. think it was over Xmas and we hit the top for the first time; a midweek 4-0 annihilation of Birmingham at St Andrews - as a native Brummie at the time incredibly satisfying; and that 2-1 heart stopper in the last winner take all game against 3rd placed Palace. Remember Jim coming down to the Normanton End afterwards wearing a Rams hat and twirling a black and white scarf, sweating profusely as was his norm.

Thanks for everything Jim. There’ll never be another like you..

The Sunderland game and the Brum game are ones I really remember from that season. I was at the BBG for the Sunderland one and vividly remember the Sunderland fans in Santa hats, and us singing "we are top of the league" after we beat them.

I didn't go to Brum away but my abiding memory is of listening to it on Radio Derby and being amazed that we won (hard place to go then). I remember that being the lightning bolt moment for me where I thought "it's on!"

I didn't get to see enough of TBE's Derby because I moved over here a few games into the first PP season, not even getting to see many highlights until YouTube became a thing. However just from what I saw I can remember only special things. That first season when we won promotion was incredible. He dismantled most of Arthur Cox's team and brought in a team. He knew exactly how to make individuals into a team, and then when he added stars to that team you were only ever going to get something special. The decision to give Paul McGrath one more season in the Prem was probably his biggest master stroke of all. The guy couldn't even walk in mid week, but on a Saturday he was majestic. As for the attacking players, we were fortunate enough to have some of the best of their era. Rest in peace Jim Smith.

Good bye jim smith

Bald eagle barmy army

Thankyou for greatness and some glory years and till this day no manager ever repeated it. I hope gold gates above was wide open for covered black and white just for you and brain clough waiting for at them. And old baseball ground behind it.

18 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

The Sunderland game and the Brum game are ones I really remember from that season. I was at the BBG for the Sunderland one and vividly remember the Sunderland fans in Santa hats, and us singing "we are top of the league" after we beat them.

I didn't go to Brum away but my abiding memory is of listening to it on Radio Derby and being amazed that we won (hard place to go then). I remember that being the lightning bolt moment for me where I thought "it's on!"

Remember they had one of their infamous battles with Millwall a fee days before and I was worried about going being a young lad.

Think Birmingham were riding high when we went there and we absolutely tore them a new one.

Deano, Willems, Gabi and Powell (I think).

Ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday and I would have to think about it, ask me something about DCFC from them times and it just rolls off the tongue!

3 hours ago, blackNwhites said:

Middlesbrough at home, 10 men and Johnathon Hunt bags a winner for 2-1 win is a great memory. Bald eagles barmy army for years. Proper gutted he's gone.

Wanchope was sent off after play acting by Andy Townsend.

It was my Dad's last ever game before he died - a game i'll remember for a number of reasons

3 hours ago, Josh said:

There’s a video on youtube of when we played Man United at old Trafford, we needed to win to stay up. United were already champions, we got the win and Sir Alex came over and gave Jim a big hug. That’s how much Jim was liked. Lovely scene. 

Great shots of Jim at full time - 7 mins into this video

I was born in 1995 and so I can't comment on his footballing genius, but I certainly remember the character of the man as a very young child. Jimmy Smith - The Bald Eagle - The Icon. The first Derby manager I encountered and he hooked me in, even as a child of 3/4/5. I'm aware they weren't the best years of his Derby, but I remember my family explaining why he was leaving Derby and what "relegation" meant! It didn't make sense to me. He WAS Derby to me.

My earliest memories of Derby County are watching Jim Smith on TV. I've certainly enjoyed other seasons of football more because I understood and remember them better, but he metaphorically held my hand as I began to learn about football and Derby County as a child.

RIP

RIP Jim Smith. Simplicity Is Genius. So be easy and free now Jim and thank you for taking us for a wonderful time in the USA, Europe and all the rest. You will always be the best and we will love you forever. You are family, you are a friend.

God bless Jim and his family, his friends and everyone at D.C.F.C. 

Love, Life & Unity.

16 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Great shots of Jim at full time - 7 mins into this video

I was at that match. I’m not a regular match goer, certainly not a regular away match goer, but that season I went it a couple of away games with a mate, and this was one. My absolute number 1 moment of being a rams fan by a mile (might have been knocked off top spot if we’d beaten villa, mind). 

Archived