Jim Smith

SamUltraRam

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along with Arthur Cox, Jim was the manager who made my life as a Rams supporting teenager/twentysomething truly memorable.

Will never forget - like everyone else- the team he built around Wanchope, Eranio, Baiano, Stimac, Sturtidge etc. But some of my favourite memories were carved before some of those arrived, during that first season when we were promoted.. the 3-1 win over eventual champions Sunderland at the old BBG .. think it was over Xmas and we hit the top for the first time; a midweek 4-0 annihilation of Birmingham at St Andrews - as a native Brummie at the time incredibly satisfying; and that 2-1 heart stopper in the last winner take all game against 3rd placed Palace. Remember Jim coming down to the Normanton End afterwards wearing a Rams hat and twirling a black and white scarf, sweating profusely as was his norm.

Thanks for everything Jim. There’ll never be another like you..

23 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

It was this one.

8 mins or so in - never seen this with Barry Davies commentary before. Enjoy Jim's (and Steve's) reaction to that Carsley goal.

They should show goals like this on the big screen tomorrow. Or in the dressing room! ?

Rest in Peace, Jim “The Bald Eagle” Smith.

I never had the privilege of watching Derby during his tenure, but from what I’ve seen it was special.

A highly regarded Derby County legend. 

God bless him and his family.

I for one feel that we should honour him as a club somehow, maybe renaming one of the stands the Jim Smith Stand.

Gutted. 

TBE was the manager when my DCFC fandom hit new heights. I travelled the length and breadth of the country at the time that he put together such a brilliant entertaining team.

Remember not being impressed with his appointment, then we had a brilliant pre season playing with 5 at the back and thought we were on to something special.

Think we then had a torrid start to the season and I wonder how many of today's current fans would have been calling for his head after the 5-1 drubbing away at Tranmere?!

The rest is history.

A shame we did not quite make Europe and the team gradually fell apart.

A shame that he did not leave in better circumstances too because he truly is a Derby legend to me.

Will never forget going to so many grounds and singing Bald Eagles Barmy Army no matter what was happening in the pitch.

RIP Bald Eagle

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Rest in Peace, Jim “The Bald Eagle” Smith.

I never had the privilege of watching Derby during his tenure, but from what I’ve seen it was special.

A highly regarded Derby County legend. 

God bless him and his family.

I for one feel that we should honour him as a club somehow, maybe renaming one of the stands the Jim Smith Stand.

Blimey, from your posts I thought you were at least 40! 

Jim Smith is the reason I'm a Derby supporter now. I was 10 years old when we got promoted under him, not even that interested in football, aware of it but not something that was a big thing for me prior to that.

Bloody glory supporters!

Spent the last few hours either in tears or on the verge of them.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

It was this one.

8 mins or so in - never seen this with Barry Davies commentary before. Enjoy Jim's (and Steve's) reaction to that Carsley goal.

That game for me has always been the one I think of when I remember the Smith era. I was there in the North Stand somewhere, delighted because we were already due to be the main game on MoTD!

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals are an example of why I watch the Rams - when we play like that there really is no better feeling.

Archived