Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Media reporting that, although Lampard has agreed a contract, it could be announced as late as Wednesday.

Is the delay because they are still producing the announcement video - still thinking we will be surprised - or because they are consoling DoF Cech "Don't worry Petr, we'll let you make a decision soon..." or is there an issue with the compensation package if they take Wassall?

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Media reporting that, although Lampard has agreed a contract, it could be announced as late as Wednesday.

Is the delay because they are still producing the announcement video - still thinking we will be surprised - or because they are consoling DoF Cech "Don't worry Petr, we'll let you make a decision soon..." or is there an issue with the compensation package if they take Wassall?

My guess is they want to make a promotional video with Frank stood under the floodlights at Stamford Bridge looking all gooweee eyed around the stadium. That can't happen until it gets dark.

3 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

clocks ticking Chelsea , dont make Mel angry , you really wouldnt like him when hes angry

Grow up, do you think Chelsea are worried about upsetting Mel,don't be silly all they care about is Chelsea, they hold all the cards and Mel knows that. They probably want to drag it out long enough so that Mel has no option but to sack Frank (so he can get another manager in with players now having reported back for training) and therefore saving £4mill in compo

40 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Or does Petr Cech prefer another candidate for this role and the appointment is dragging on because of that. 

This has to be drawn to its conclusion today as I believe we’ve been more than amiable in this sh@storm. 

We allowed an extra couple of days, if nothing is agreed by end of business hours today, then IMO our stance should be one of “see you at work bright and early tomorrow morning Frank & Jody”

9 minutes ago, Taribo said:

What?? I must have missed this, is Darren off to Chelsea?

Pure speculation from the media. They just took a shot in the dark and guessed that the 6-8 staff Lampard wants to take with him will include DazWaz

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Pure speculation from the media. They just took a shot in the dark and guessed that the 6-8 staff Lampard wants to take with him will include DazWaz

Any manager in their right mind would want Wassall running his club's academy.

33 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Grow up, do you think Chelsea are worried about upsetting Mel,don't be silly all they care about is Chelsea, they hold all the cards and Mel knows that. They probably want to drag it out long enough so that Mel has no option but to sack Frank (so he can get another manager in with players now having reported back for training) and therefore saving £4mill in compo

I may be wrong but I suspect Premier Ram wasn't being entirely serious. 

33 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

He has Wassall. He could keep Frank in limbo or Frank could buy himself out of the contract. The onus is on Chelsea as I see it! I'm 6500 miles away so I'm not sure of the contractual obligations in the UK!

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

Any manager in their right mind would want Wassall running his club's academy.

Indeed, but it doesn't change the fact that it is pure speculation.

I wouldn't blame Wassall for leaving after some of the abuse he receives from our fans. If he goes to run the Chelsea academy or in another role there it would certainly be a step up for him.

48 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

My guess is they want to make a promotional video with Frank stood under the floodlights at Stamford Bridge looking all gooweee eyed around the stadium. That can't happen until it gets dark.

You can have our Frank, you can have our bounce...but don't you dare take our gooey-eyed floodlit stadium shot...

Deg75G-XUAEGPql.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

...This has to be drawn to its conclusion today as I believe we’ve been more than amiable in this sh@storm. 

We allowed an extra couple of days, if nothing is agreed by end of business hours today, then IMO our stance should be one of “see you at work bright and early tomorrow morning Frank & Jody”

I'd be disappointed with any lesser stance, if I'm honest.

We (Mel) have to stand strong on this, and if it drags on much longer, or Frank "lacks enthusiasm" whilst still here,  supposedly still our manager, then I'd hope gardening leave would at least be considered, along with withdrawing any offer to allow talks (with Chelsea) to continue.  
Only a weak/stupid man would consider sacking him now, and I seriously suspect Mel is strong enough, stubborn enough, wise enough and rich enough to take this approach... If not, my tenner awaits any GoFundMe plans!  

It's getting very close to the point where I would consider Chelsea/Frank are now taking the pi55!

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

We (Mel) have to stand strong on this, and if it drags on much longer, or Frank "lacks enthusiasm" whilst still here,  supposedly still our manager, then I'd hope gardening leave would at least be considered, along with withdrawing any offer to allow talks (with Chelsea) to continue.  
Only a weak/stupid man would consider sacking him now, and I seriously suspect Mel is strong enough, stubborn enough, wise enough and rich enough to take this approach... If not, my tenner awaits any GoFundMe plans!  

It's getting very close to the point where I would consider Chelsea/Frank are now taking the pi55!

I couldn't agree more but the question is, if Mel/DCFC withdraw the offer allowing Frank to talk to Chelsea we are then in an impasse, do DCFC let him continue as manager knowing full well he doesn't want to be here, before anyone says how do you know he doesn't want to be here he would have turned up yesterday to take charge of training showing his declaration that he is still manager of DCFC. How long do you put him on gardening leave, how can you employ another manager when you already have one albeit one that "lacks enthusiasm". No doubt that would be construed as constructive dismissal 

13 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I don't think Chelsea are taking the piss at all. I just think we are so inconsequential in their thinking that we don't merit consideration.

23 hours ago, David said:

Disagree, you have to be confident in your ability, maybe a little arrogance to be a footballer, you don’t make it to the top doubting if you’re good enough, questioning your ability.

Same way as we see young players move from first team football in the Championship to the Chelsea academy, history says your chances of breaking into the first team are slim, but they still make the move. Some could possibly be for the money, but I’m sure they will also believe they will make it.

I wrote last night it has disaster written all over it, but it’s not inevitable, I wouldn’t start putting serious money down he will fail or be sacked in a year. Many didn’t expect him to do much at Derby in his first year, but he took us to Wembley. At Chelsea he will have players at his disposal that will be closer to the level he was as a player, might be easier working with these players, then again Chelsea is known to be a difficult dressing room if they don’t take to you.

He has a chance and I don’t think he’s dim for believing he’s the right man for the job. 

I see him moving to Chelsea now as not the move of someone confident in his ability. Quite the opposite - I think he's scared. I think he's scared that if he turns down Chelsea now then he'll never get offered the job because his future managerial career won't provide the justification for it. If he failed this coming season with Derby, or in his next job, his reputation would be down the drain and Chelsea would never come knocking.

It's not confidence, it's fear.

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't think Chelsea are taking the piss at all. I just think we are so inconsequential in their thinking that we don't merit consideration.

You are correct, Chelsea are only interested in doing whats best for Chelsea and we don't merit any consideration whatsoever, any team would be the same and until Chelsea come to a decision we are limbo. Perhaps Mel has made a mistake by saying he has given Frank permission to speak to them, to them this might be the Green light that Derby want things sown up quickly so therefore if we hang it out Mel will release Frank from his contract therefore negating any compensation. Pure speculation of course

Archived