Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

7 hours ago, Harry B said:

Simon Jordan has got a big mouth but doesn't talk much sense, probably why he spunked all his money and led his club into administration. He's right when he says Derby have suffered over this but I suspect they've made provision, knowing what might happen. Jordan knows nothing about what's gone on behind the scenes, same as the rest of us. He has no idea what's caused the delay, but nobody's broken any rules. Telling Frank to cut his holiday short and run back home suggests he knows more than he does. When he talks about gardening leave he embarrasses himself. What he's saying is that a manager shouldn't be able to leave a club unless they're prepared to take a year off work whereas the club should be able to fire who they want and immediately hire another manager. He sees things solely from the perspective of a jilted football club owner but there are always two sides or more to every story.

As for Lamps, it's the job he wants, and he may not get another opportunity. Nobody can predict what will happen in the future. Your dream job comes up and you take it. It might be a little early but with Hazard leaving and a transfer embargo now is possibly as good a time as ever, because expectations will have been lowered and young players will have to be integrated, meaning he's more chance of being given time and being allowed to learn his trade than at any time possibly in the future.

You also have to factor in there is a lot of discontent among the fans, for reasons which are particular to the club, so he's coming in at the right time in that sense. Everybody will just be so ducking happy to see him. Football is about more than just success. It's about connection.

Chelsea is a bit of a circus and it's a bit of a volatile club, it always has been, but if he ever wanted a couple of years to get his feet under the table and mould something in his own image he may have decided now is possibly the best opportunity he'll ever get.

He's a smart cookie. He'll have given this a lot of thought. I doubt it was an easy decision but I don't just think it's his heart ruling his head and I don't think Chelsea are being purely sentimental either. I think it makes a lot of sense, assuming it happens of course. Whether it works out is another matter.

I think he'll be upset he's leaving Derby so early, without achieving what he set out to. I genuinely think he would have been torn over this. It's a place he liked, and where he was liked and was doing well, and he would have wanted to succeed but this opportunity has popped along unexpectedly. That's my take on things anyway.

Wishing you well for the future as ever and hope you pick a good manager. 

Your franks agent / pr man and I claim my £5 ?

if your not and just an ordinary Chelsea fan then I can tell you that for me you are welcome to him , as the dust settles for me he is just another badge kisser , brand builder of the kind that populate the top of our game now , but let’s be clear , I’m ok with that it’s what it is ,he’s had his stepping stone ,we have used his name /pr facade to raise our clubs profile in these days of the tourist football fan and pocketed  a few mill compo ,

Job done ,nothing to see here move on 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Harry B said:

Simon Jordan has got a big mouth but doesn't talk much sense, probably why he spunked all his money and led his club into administration. He's right when he says Derby have suffered over this but I suspect they've made provision, knowing what might happen. Jordan knows nothing about what's gone on behind the scenes, same as the rest of us. He has no idea what's caused the delay, but nobody's broken any rules. Telling Frank to cut his holiday short and run back home suggests he knows more than he does. When he talks about gardening leave he embarrasses himself. What he's saying is that a manager shouldn't be able to leave a club unless they're prepared to take a year off work whereas the club should be able to fire who they want and immediately hire another manager. He sees things solely from the perspective of a jilted football club owner but there are always two sides or more to every story

Balanced post, good to hear a football fan who's able to recognise that not everything is 100% at their club, appreciated. The highlighted sentence is the only thing, for me, that one could criticise Lampard on - It's not as though he would have actually ended his holiday there and then, things can progress remotely of course. That said, maybe he could be admired for refusing that and treating his holiday as exactly that, too many people in business never properly take a holiday.

Where I would strongly disagree with SJ is his criticism of Mel Morris for focussing on maintaining a good relationship with Chelsea. He's just wrong there, in any business or corporate world, building a good relationship with someone higher up the food chain than oneself is something one has to suck up and get on with, however galling it is - It is entirely normal practice. To suggest this is irrelevant and to burn that particular bridge is entirely self defeating and, as they say, cutting your nose off to spite your face.

2 minutes ago, admira said:

Whatever happens, I’m sure we will see Frank back as DCFC boss again sometime in the future. 

Are you crazy ?  We will never be on lampard s radar/ career path again unless we attract Man City money / backing and we can be a vehicle to build the lampard legend

51 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Balanced post, good to hear a football fan who's able to recognise that not everything is 100% at their club, appreciated. The highlighted sentence is the only thing, for me, that one could criticise Lampard on - It's not as though he would have actually ended his holiday there and then, things can progress remotely of course. That said, maybe he could be admired for refusing that and treating his holiday as exactly that, too many people in business never properly take a holiday.

Where I would strongly disagree with SJ is his criticism of Mel Morris for focussing on maintaining a good relationship with Chelsea. He's just wrong there, in any business or corporate world, building a good relationship with someone higher up the food chain than oneself is something one has to suck up and get on with, however galling it is - It is entirely normal practice. To suggest this is irrelevant and to burn that particular bridge is entirely self defeating and, as they say, cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Jordan is hardly qualified to lecture Mel Morris on business etiquette, after taking Crystal Palace into administration in 2010 FFS! 

8 hours ago, Harry B said:

I don't think Chelsea are being purely sentimental either

Come on now, do you think Chelsea would have appointed a manager from the Championship that finished 6th after his first season in management had he not previously played 13 years for Chelsea, who also happens to be their all time leading goal scorer?

Let’s say Frank Lampard played for 10 clubs in his career, bit of a journeyman with the most games played, 40, at Charlton.

Not a chance. It really doesn’t get much more sentimental than this. 

Similar with Solskjær at United, although he has a couple of titles under his belt in Norway, you wouldn’t think he has the CV to take on the United job without the playing career at the club.

9 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

The guy played 32 times last season for Chelsea and was part of the engine room in the team which reached the world cup final, he's hardly Jack Rodwell.

But Lampard’s appointment was supposed to signify a change in approach. This is the same thing Chelsea have always done, spend big on players that barely improve them. Certainly doesn’t set the tone for what Chelsea fans seem to expect from Lampard very well.

Mount is easily capable of getting the minutes Kovacic got last season, but all this does is push him one more rung down the ladder. Sets the wrong tone in my opinion, which admittedly isn’t worth much! Maybe the RLC injury has played a part but again, hardly signals a long term approach if you’re spending £40m covering a 6 month injury.

59 minutes ago, Archied said:

Are you crazy ?  We will never be on lampard s radar/ career path again unless we attract Man City money / backing and we can be a vehicle to build the lampard legend

Ooh so negative - keep the faith!

What about if he fails at Chelsea, no one else will touch him with a bargepole AND Christine's career also takes a similar nosedive and she  gets a job on East Midlands Today doing the weather?

1 minute ago, David said:

Come on now, do you think Chelsea would have appointed a manager from the Championship that finished 6th after his first season in management had he not previously played 13 years for Chelsea, who also happens to be their all time leading goal scorer?

Let’s say Frank Lampard played for 10 clubs in his career, bit of a journeyman with the most games played, 40, at Charlton.

Not a chance. It really doesn’t get much more sentimental than this. 

Similar with Solskjær at United, although he has a couple of titles under his belt in Norway, you wouldn’t think he has the CV to take on the United job without the playing career at the club.

I agree with the points you are making, but Harry is right it is not purely sentimental.  The Chelsea board are not picking him entirely out of nostalgia and love - I suspect a few have serious doubts about his experience and ability (and so they should). I suspect the board have come to the pragmatic view that they cannot attract a top manager at this stage because of the embargo, the natives are extremely restless and the fans will give them a break (for a while) if they get their Darling back and give a few youngsters a chance. It’s arguably a ruthless appointment - they are prepared to risk a Legend for some short tern breathing space. Lampard must know this too.

31 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Lost a lot of respect for frank after all this saga!

Me too, if he left quickly like Rowett did then there would be a lot less critics but this saga is affecting our pre season now. I hope our fans let Jody and Lampard know when they say their social media goodbye posts at how disappointed they are with the pair

35 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I agree with the points you are making, but Harry is right it is not purely sentimental.  The Chelsea board are not picking him entirely out of nostalgia and love - I suspect a few have serious doubts about his experience and ability (and so they should). I suspect the board have come to the pragmatic view that they cannot attract a top manager at this stage because of the embargo, the natives are extremely restless and the fans will give them a break (for a while) if they get their Darling back and give a few youngsters a chance. It’s arguably a ruthless appointment - they are prepared to risk a Legend for some short tern breathing space. Lampard must know this too.

They wouldn’t have been able to lure say Tuchel out of PSG but I don’t agree this is the best they can get. 

Dean Smith (Villa fan), Daniel Farke, Chris Wilder, all more experienced and managed to get promoted would have left for Chelsea without a doubt. 

They wouldn’t even had to go that low. Phillip Cocu is available, 3 titles in 4 years, probably saw a few Chelsea loanees out there at Vitesse.

Solksjaer does not get the United job if he played for Carlisle for the majority of his career, Lampard does not get the job had he been a Charlton legend and Nigel Clough does not get the Derby job if his Dad was Barry Clough the postman.

Not saying there is anything wrong with this, lack of experience managing a big club didn’t harm Guardiola and Zidane, although Lampard won’t be walking into the Stamford Bridge dressing room with a Messi or Ronaldo at his disposal.

It is what it is, sentimental, no point hiding from it, accept it and you hope it works out.

I for one will not be laughing at Chelsea losing and hoping he gets fired after a season and back in a TV studio. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

They wouldn’t have been able to lure say Tuchel out of PSG but I don’t agree this is the best they can get. 

Dean Smith (Villa fan), Daniel Farke, Chris Wilder, all more experienced and managed to get promoted would have left for Chelsea without a doubt. 

They wouldn’t even had to go that low. Phillip Cocu is available, 3 titles in 4 years, probably saw a few Chelsea loanees out there at Vitesse.

Solksjaer does not get the United job if he played for Carlisle for the majority of his careers, Lampard does not get the job had he been a Charlton legend and Nigel Clough does not get the Derby job if his Dad was Barry Clough the postman.

Not saying there is anything wrong with this, lack of experience managing a big club didn’t harm Guardiola and Zidane, although Lampard won’t be walking into the Stamford Bridge dressing room with a Messi or Ronaldo at his disposal.

It is what it is, sentimental, no point hiding from it, accept it and you hope it works out.

I for one will not be laughing at Chelsea losing and hoping he gets fired after a season and back in a TV studio. 

I still differ from your perspective here. It is a sentimental appointment for both Lampard and the fans.  It is some distance from being a purely sentimental decision for the club.  To me it feels a bit like a roll of the dice. The fans are disillusioned (what a shame), Abramovic may be losing interest, their squad is not close to Man City, Liverpool or arguably Spurs, and they can’t do anything in the transfer market for 12 months.  It was going to be a difficult season ahead, but by appointing Lampard they have bought themselves some breathing space with the fans, their sponsors, the media.  It is a calculated risk to maintain the brand, and whilst they clearly hope Lampard swims, they won’t be quick to throw him  a life raft if it all looks a lot different in a years time.

On 30/06/2019 at 17:38, NottsRammy said:

The hold up is July 1st being new financial year in footy terms so the 4 mill counts towards next year ! .

All be done and dusted tomoz and prob our manager will be as well 

For those that laughed at this , its all JUST A BIG COINCIDENCE aint it pmsl ? all done and dusted yesterday who would have thought it.

Archived