Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Simon Jordan has got a big mouth but doesn't talk much sense, probably why he spunked all his money and led his club into administration. He's right when he says Derby have suffered over this but I suspect they've made provision, knowing what might happen. Jordan knows nothing about what's gone on behind the scenes, same as the rest of us. He has no idea what's caused the delay, but nobody's broken any rules. Telling Frank to cut his holiday short and run back home suggests he knows more than he does. When he talks about gardening leave he embarrasses himself. What he's saying is that a manager shouldn't be able to leave a club unless they're prepared to take a year off work whereas the club should be able to fire who they want and immediately hire another manager. He sees things solely from the perspective of a jilted football club owner but there are always two sides or more to every story.

As for Lamps, it's the job he wants, and he may not get another opportunity. Nobody can predict what will happen in the future. Your dream job comes up and you take it. It might be a little early but with Hazard leaving and a transfer embargo now is possibly as good a time as ever, because expectations will have been lowered and young players will have to be integrated, meaning he's more chance of being given time and being allowed to learn his trade than at any time possibly in the future.

You also have to factor in there is a lot of discontent among the fans, for reasons which are particular to the club, so he's coming in at the right time in that sense. Everybody will just be so ducking happy to see him. Football is about more than just success. It's about connection.

Chelsea is a bit of a circus and it's a bit of a volatile club, it always has been, but if he ever wanted a couple of years to get his feet under the table and mould something in his own image he may have decided now is possibly the best opportunity he'll ever get.

He's a smart cookie. He'll have given this a lot of thought. I doubt it was an easy decision but I don't just think it's his heart ruling his head and I don't think Chelsea are being purely sentimental either. I think it makes a lot of sense, assuming it happens of course. Whether it works out is another matter.

I think he'll be upset he's leaving Derby so early, without achieving what he set out to. I genuinely think he would have been torn over this. It's a place he liked, and where he was liked and was doing well, and he would have wanted to succeed but this opportunity has popped along unexpectedly. That's my take on things anyway.

Wishing you well for the future as ever and hope you pick a good manager. 

Simon Jordan is right in that Chelsea have been incredibly arrogant over this and that it’s not just them, the top 6 continually poo on the rest and the media lap it up!! I sometimes wonder if we have a league below the top 6 to hear our media. It’s a disgrace when we have the deepest most competitive league in the world. And it spreads to the fans (not @Harry B who talks sense and admits Chelsea is a circus) I was at a Kids birthday and there two kids running around in Chelsea kits, i joked with their dad (who I’ve met before and is a good guy)it’s breaking me because of the Frank situation, he just very matter of fact said well he was only on Loan, supremely arrogant. 

Ive said it several times and i’ll say it again I think Frank is getting unfair stick on this. He shouldn’t cut his holiday short, especially in a year where his wife has given birth to their first child, he came back to Derby hours after the birth and he’s lived away for most of the year, he’s earned 2 weeks to spend with his wife and child - and to be fair he owes them that - there’s no way my wife would allow me to live away and leave them hours after the birth regardless of the job opportunity.

My main gripe is with Chelsea. They could have done this before Lampard went away. 

But if Mel can somehow get Cocu....everybody wins and this is all irrelevant!!!

24 minutes ago, Harry B said:

As for Lamps, it's the job he wants, and he may not get another opportunity. Nobody can predict what will happen in the future. Your dream job comes up and you take it. It might be a little early but with Hazard leaving and a transfer embargo now is possibly as good a time as ever, because expectations will have been lowered and young players will have to be integrated, meaning he's more chance of being given time and being allowed to learn his trade than at any time possibly in the future.

You also have to factor in there is a lot of discontent among the fans, for reasons which are particular to the club, so he's coming in at the right time in that sense. Everybody will just be so ducking happy to see him. Football is about more than just success. It's about connection.

Chelsea is a bit of a circus and it's a bit of a volatile club, it always has been, but if he ever wanted a couple of years to get his feet under the table and mould something in his own image he may have decided now is possibly the best opportunity he'll ever get.

He's a smart cookie. He'll have given this a lot of thought. I doubt it was an easy decision but I don't just think it's his heart ruling his head and I don't think Chelsea are being purely sentimental either. I think it makes a lot of sense, assuming it happens of course. Whether it works out is another matter.

Wishing you well for the future as ever and hope you pick a good manager. 

Agree with a lot of this. However, Lampard has ALL the power in this negotiation and he hasn't used it, to the detriment of the club that backed him in his first year of management. He should have said to Chelsea that if they wanted him, it needed to be sorted out before preseason training. Otherwise, he'd have no choice but to return to Derby's Moor Farm where his players would be waiting for him.

That he's not done that diminishes him in my eyes. It makes me think he might not have been the calibre of person I genuinely thought he was. I would still like him to return to Derby this week and take up the reins again, but because of how he's acted a lot of fans now think otherwise.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Simon Jordan is right in that Chelsea have been incredibly arrogant over this and that it’s not just them, the top 6 continually poo on the rest and the media lap it up!! I sometimes wonder if we have a league below the top 6 to hear our media. It’s a disgrace when we have the deepest most competitive league in the world. And it spreads to the fans (not @Harry B who talks sense and admits Chelsea is a circus) I was at a Kids birthday and there two kids running around in Chelsea kits, i joked with their dad (who I’ve met before and is a good guy)it’s breaking me because of the Frank situation, he just very matter of fact said well he was only on Loan, supremely arrogant. 

Ive said it several times and i’ll say it again I think Frank is getting unfair stick on this. He shouldn’t cut his holiday short, especially in a year where his wife has given birth to their first child, he came back to Derby hours after the birth and he’s lived away for most of the year, he’s earned 2 weeks to spend with his wife and child - and to be fair he owes them that - there’s no way my wife would allow me to live away and leave them hours after the birth regardless of the job opportunity.

My main gripe is with Chelsea. They could have done this before Lampard went away. 

But if Mel can somehow get Cocu....everybody wins and this is all irrelevant!!!

When your owner came out and said he had given us permission to talk to Frank, a mate of mine said, "Correction, we gave them permission to talk to Frank". I think a lot of it is in jest however. Chelsea fans of a certain age will know what it's like having your prized assets poached.

As for Chelsea doing it sooner, again, we don't know what's happened, there could be a million reasons for the delay. Maybe Chelsea didn't know who they wanted, given that Frank is a bit of a punt. Maybe Frank wanted time to mull things over. Maybe he wanted discussions with Derby about transfers, etc etc. Nobody has a clue what went down.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree with a lot of this. However, Lampard has ALL the power in this negotiation and he hasn't used it, to the detriment of the club that backed him in his first year of management. He should have said to Chelsea that if they wanted him, it needed to be sorted out before preseason training. Otherwise, he'd have no choice but to return to Derby's Moor Farm where his players would be waiting for him.

That he's not done that diminishes him in my eyes. It makes me think he might not have been the calibre of person I genuinely thought he was. I would still like him to return to Derby this week and take up the reins again, but because of how he's acted a lot of fans now think otherwise.

How do you know whats been agreed between Frank and Mel? Have you got connections?

34 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

How do you know whats been agreed between Frank and Mel? Have you got connections?

I don't follow the question and didn't mention Mel. Perhaps you're suggesting that Mel has said to Frank to take his time and it's not a problem? I find that highly unlikely, but even if it were true Frank would still be aware of how disruptive this is to Derby and our preparations. I think it's also disrespectful to his players who are back, but their manager hasn't turned up yet. 

4 minutes ago, SaffyRam said:

Well, let’s hope it really is within the next 48 hours this time, or our players will be off to America without a manager ?

You think we can install a manager that quick? Even if the wheels are in motion, I think, at best, a new manager will be flying out to join them.

2 minutes ago, Rambam said:

You think we can install a manager that quick? Even if the wheels are in motion, I think, at best, a new manager will be flying out to join them.

If it's true what Mel said and they have already been talking to managers out of work, then I would expect things to happen very quickly once Lampard to Chelsea is announced. Florest sacked MON and within 18 min announced a new manager ??

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't follow the question and didn't mention Mel. Perhaps you're suggesting that Mel has said to Frank to take his time and it's not a problem? I find that highly unlikely, but even if it were true Frank would still be aware of how disruptive this is to Derby and our preparations. I think it's also disrespectful to his players who are back, but their manager hasn't turned up yet. 

The truth is none of us knows exactly what is happening,and nobody should be criticized without knowing the facts.Maybe one day we will know more and when we do that is the time to pass judgment

Was behind Mel earlier. He was driving his Aston Martin down the M1. He wasn’t wearing a suit or a tie, but a checkered shirt. Looked quite casual. I couldn’t see a suit hanging in the back. Tried giving him a fanboy thumbs up and a “get sausages next time!” But he never took his eyes off the road ahead. 

God knows where he’s off this early. 

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Was behind Mel earlier. He was driving his Aston Martin down the M1. He wasn’t wearing a suit or a tie, but a checkered shirt. Looked quite casual. I couldn’t see a suit hanging in the back. Tried giving him a fanboy thumbs up and a “get sausages next time!” But he never took his eyes off the road ahead. 

I bet he clocked you before you clocked him, Mel never forgets. ?

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Newport Pagnell to get his Aston Martin changed/serviced? 

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Off to grab Roman's cheque before it bounces.

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

He’s going to meet our new manager at Heathrow offering that personal touch from the outset. 

Chelsea announce FL and 10mins later we present our new gaffer, take that Chelsea. ????????

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

BREAKING NEWS:

Frank Lampard is set to be be appointed as the new Chelsea boss within the next 48 hours.

If you keep posting it every day, one day you will be right. 

I don’t think we will ever know they way this has played out and there will be more enigmatic statements like you get from Gary Rowett 

Archived