Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

7 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

For those that laughed at this , its all JUST A BIG COINCIDENCE aint it pmsl ? all done and dusted yesterday who would have thought it.

It has absolutely no bearing on FFP, because since FFP was introduced, the vast majority of payments are paid in instalments over multiple seasons. And even if this wasn't, the £4m being on this season wouldn't matter until 3 years from now when this season was the earliest season in FFP's 3 year window.

Also, there's also no reason that, if it was in any way related to FFP, the clubs wouldn't just say so. Mel was on Talksport yesterday, was asked about the delay, and didn't attribute it to FFP at all. There's no reason to hide it.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loooooool if he doesnt get the job and they announce someone else! Would make my year ?

on a serious note, dont like the way some chelsea fans are saying "cant wait for lamps to start the bounce" ? steal our manager and our chant!!! Behave you glory supporting muppets!!!

5 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

For those that laughed at this , its all JUST A BIG COINCIDENCE aint it pmsl ? all done and dusted yesterday who would have thought it.

Still laughing now. 

Lampard didn’t get back from holiday until Friday. 

If it helps you sleep at night thinking it was delayed for FFP, plump up that cushion and put your feet up. 

I don’t think you will find a single person at the club who didn’t want this wrapped up weeks ago, money in the bank and new manager on his 5th Colin Gibson interview already after working with the players.

30 minutes ago, David said:

They wouldn’t have been able to lure say Tuchel out of PSG but I don’t agree this is the best they can get. 

Dean Smith (Villa fan), Daniel Farke, Chris Wilder, all more experienced and managed to get promoted would have left for Chelsea without a doubt. 

They wouldn’t even had to go that low. Phillip Cocu is available, 3 titles in 4 years, probably saw a few Chelsea loanees out there at Vitesse.

Solksjaer does not get the United job if he played for Carlisle for the majority of his career, Lampard does not get the job had he been a Charlton legend and Nigel Clough does not get the Derby job if his Dad was Barry Clough the postman.

Not saying there is anything wrong with this, lack of experience managing a big club didn’t harm Guardiola and Zidane, although Lampard won’t be walking into the Stamford Bridge dressing room with a Messi or Ronaldo at his disposal.

It is what it is, sentimental, no point hiding from it, accept it and you hope it works out.

I for one will not be laughing at Chelsea losing and hoping he gets fired after a season and back in a TV studio. 

I like sentimentality in football. It is, and always should be at least in my opinion, a sport where sentimentality plays a huge part. Remove that from the game and there is nothing left worth keeping.

16 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Has Chelsea made an announcement that Frank is there new manager yet then? As far as I am aware nothing has been confirmed yet - we only have the media's guesswork. 

11 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Loooooool if he doesnt get the job and they announce someone else! Would make my year ?

on a serious note, dont like the way some chelsea fans are saying "cant wait for lamps to start the bounce" ? steal our manager and our chant!!! Behave you glory supporting muppets!!!

it was Sheffield Wednesdays before ours

19 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

You are basically like a devout follower of a religion using the fact that because it is physically impossible for anyone to disprove the existence of god, then the converse must therefore be true.

58 minutes ago, David said:

Come on now, do you think Chelsea would have appointed a manager from the Championship that finished 6th after his first season in management had he not previously played 13 years for Chelsea, who also happens to be their all time leading goal scorer?

Let’s say Frank Lampard played for 10 clubs in his career, bit of a journeyman with the most games played, 40, at Charlton.

Not a chance. It really doesn’t get much more sentimental than this. 

Similar with Solskjær at United, although he has a couple of titles under his belt in Norway, you wouldn’t think he has the CV to take on the United job without the playing career at the club.

On a similar note to this.

If his name wasn't Frank Lampard, who would be gutted to see him go? Stability aside (which we do crave), after the team he picked Leeds 1st leg and Wembley, if it was any one but Frank Lampard and someone came and offered 4 million for him, who would be bothered?

I realised, I loved the idea of the name Frank Lampard being associated with Derby, not necessarily what he delivered. I could listen to him talk all day, not entirely sure i could sit watching one of his football teams all day.

We move on and with Mel at the wheel, tell me, how good does it feel?

Will he be given time? I can't see it going well. To have Cech and Lampard in the two most important positions at the club is high risk. Neither has anything concrete to say they can do the job. Without Hazard they don't have a player who can drag them through. 

It could be inspired but how much will sentiment hold if they are languishing midtable?

In some ways I quite like them giving it a go with former club legends.

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

I like sentimentality in football. It is, and always should be at least in my opinion, a sport where sentimentality plays a huge part. Remove that from the game and there is nothing left worth keeping.

If I was to offer you the choice of Igor Stimac or Phillip Cocu as manager, who would you take?

3 minutes ago, tombomb said:

it was Sheffield Wednesdays before ours

Yeh i know, but still!! I never really liked it to start with but it had grown on my by the end of the season! Just feels like there adding salt to the wound!

On 29/06/2019 at 22:36, 86 points said:

Think it's more to do with the feel good factor that came with Frank and some of the football / results we saw under him than the length of time he was here. Folk are desperate to retain that feeling with the promise of greater success again this season and I, for one, fully understand that. 

Didn't even read your post but still liked it to top.you over the 10,000 likes ?

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

On a similar note to this.

If his name wasn't Frank Lampard, who would be gutted to see him go? Stability aside (which we do crave), after the team he picked Leeds 1st leg and Wembley, if it was any one but Frank Lampard and someone came and offered 4 million for him, who would be bothered?

I realised, I loved the idea of the name Frank Lampard being associated with Derby, not necessarily what he delivered. I could listen to him talk all day, not entirely sure i could sit watching one of his football teams all day.

We move on and with Mel at the wheel, tell me, how good does it feel?

Yes I would be bothered, I didn’t want Rowett to leave either. 

I’m not always chasing something new, the greener grass. A manager that gets us into the top 6 and challenging for promotion I want to see us keep hold of. If we can’t, let’s make sure we cover ourselves with a nice compensation pay off.

Don’t get me wrong, Frank Lampard does not get the job if he is not Frank Lampard. But trying to claim Lampard to Chelsea isn’t purely sentimental I’m not having at all, not saying there is anything wrong with it, but don’t hide from what it is.

9 minutes ago, David said:

If I was to offer you the choice of Igor Stimac or Phillip Cocu as manager, who would you take?

Cocu, 1000000%. 

And Stimac is (and likely always will) be my favourite Derby player seeing as I was the perfect age to idolize  footballers when he arrived. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

I would never choose Igor Stimac as manager following his casual racism outburst before the last World Cup final, so definitely Cocu.

I don't think it's entirely sentimental, I think there's a very slight cynical edge on both sides where they know if it goes tits up they can credibly blame the other party, Chelsea say Frank wasn't as developed as they'd thought, Frank will point to transfers, and for both of them they'll exploit the sentimentality to smooth over probably a difficult season.

I'm always suspicious if I can't see the cynicism in football.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

I would never choose Igor Stimac as manager following his casual racism outburst before the last World Cup final, so definitely Cocu.

Fair play, you see where I’m going though right?

I’m not a cold hearted person, I love a bit of sentiment, the hero return, but you can’t go purely off it. 

We only have to look down the road where they tried with Platt, Pearce, O’Neill. Another time things might have worked out differently, but if you was to ask a Forest fan what their thoughts of Pearce was now, they wouldn’t go straight for the memories of one of the best left backs the country has seen, but the disaster of a manager he was.

For what it’s worth I don’t think Lampard could do anything now that would tarnish his legendary status, Chelsea would get rid before anything went too wrong, but boy will hit hurt to see him sacked if it does go wrong.

Archived