Watchable telly

dog

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Anyone else watch Kevin and Perry Go Large for the umpteenth time this weekend? 

Still makes me smile. 

Should be the go to growing up video in schools! 

Remember a lot of those characters in Amnesia from time past - particularly the bloke wearing a suitcase.  Also remember a bloke who was the dead ringer for Uncle Albert, who basically lived in Pasha. 

4 hours ago, NottsRam said:

Just finished McMafia on Sky.  Very good 8 part series, well worth a watch.

Watched it when it was on originally. Didn’t find myself caring about any of the characters - particularly Norton who came across as a bit of a wuss….Perhaps my expectations were too high though it seems there’s another series in the offing so I might need to re-watch it….

Finished Snowfall in iPlayer last night, really good.

4 seasons that follow a local kid who was selling weed in South Central LA but decided to branch out into coke not knowing people in the black neighbourhoods where he lived couldn't afford it.

So when he heard about crack (or rock cocaine as it was called then - the word crack isn't used in any of the episodes so not sure when that came in) he decided to start cooking that.

He then found the mega-dealer (who was a CIA operative bringing in it to fund cash to supply arms to the Nicaraguan contras, but he didn't know that until the 3rd of 4th season) who was supplying his dealer and started spreading out into other areas of South Central LA.

Fairly violent and sometimes the accents were tough to understand, but I thought it was a brilliant portrayal of people sliding down a path that would have previously been anathema to them.

He went from this nice super-smart kid-next-door to a violent criminal mastermind, a couple of the characters got hooked on crack and it all went south. and even the CIA agent started using and got more erratic.

In that respect it had an almost Breaking Bad feel to it.

As far as I know the story is entirely fictional, but the way crack took over in the 80s and how the CIA were shipping coke into black neighbourhoods to fund the fight against the Sandinista's was very much was a thing.

It also did a cool job of bringing the Colombian, Mexicans and even Israelis into the picture and to show how complicated it all got.

Well worth checking out of you liked BB, Narcos or even Zero Zero Zero. 

17 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Watched it when it was on originally. Didn’t find myself caring about any of the characters - particularly Norton who came across as a bit of a wuss….Perhaps my expectations were too high though it seems there’s another series in the offing so I might need to re-watch it….

I'd agree with that. Was almost good.

I always remember one bit where his gf said "I've always wanted to go to Prague" in a thrilled voice, where anyone with their ludicrous lifestyle would just pop over to anywhere in the world whenever they fancied it.

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatching Cobra Kai. Johnny Lawrence is absolutely hilarious. Most of it isn't for a PG audience, but he just told a girl she couldn't join his dojo because everyone knows 'women have really thin, hollow bones' ??

Stands up to repeated viewing, as I have said before it really should be horrendous but it's a great blend of nostalgia and a modern very self-aware twist. 

12 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Best thing ever in Bosch series 7. Detective describing a woman gang boss: "she looks like a banker, like a female Stringer Bell. From The Wire. Did you watch it?" Other detective replies "Yeah, I binged it".

The actor who replied is Marlo from The Wire.

Yes, I spotted that, even though I've not seen The Wire , I was aware that he's in it. 

After ditching the 2nd season of The Unforgotten two episodes in because it contained some of the most ludicrous plot flaws since Your Honor we started watching Bosch.

Largely because of the reviews on here tbh.

I can't make my mind up 5 or 6 episodes in.

I really like the character and I think Titus Welliver is a really charismatic actor who owns the screen, but it almost seems like they have two scriptwriters.

I know something like that will have multiple scriptwriters, but I mean that they're working in different rooms and not allowed to see what the other is writing.

There's some great writing and random realistic stuff included and then they'll throw in something so cliched that it drives me nuts, or there will be a silly plot flaw that could easily have been rectified.

Anyway, I shall stick with it and try and be 95 or 96% less judgmental because the good bits are good.

17 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

After ditching the 2nd season of The Unforgotten two episodes in because it contained some of the most ludicrous plot flaws since Your Honor we started watching Bosch.

Largely because of the reviews on here tbh.

I can't make my mind up 5 or 6 episodes in.

I really like the character and I think Titus Welliver is a really charismatic actor who owns the screen, but it almost seems like they have two scriptwriters.

I know something like that will have multiple scriptwriters, but I mean that they're working in different rooms and not allowed to see what the other is writing.

There's some great writing and random realistic stuff included and then they'll throw in something so cliched that it drives me nuts, or there will be a silly plot flaw that could easily have been rectified.

Anyway, I shall stick with it and try and be 95 or 96% less judgmental because the good bits are good.

Bosch is one of the few police detective type  things I've kept on with until the end. Actually it's probably the only one. Season one, for me , is definitely the weakest one .

It's not the greatest series ever made, but I think overall it's very good.