Watchable telly

dog

On 23/05/2021 at 05:53, ketteringram said:

From that list, I've only seen line of duty and the West Wing. I'm at work so no time to add all that up, but it must be a huge number of total episodes ?

west Wing alone is over 150. 

I started watching The West Wing last week - gave up after two episodes.

No subtitles.

4 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but "The Killing" on BBC4 makes for some excellent viewing. Danish with subtitles- a mix of murder and political skulduggery, although the series are quite long.

Worth checking out if that's your sort of thing.

A classic

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

I started watching The West Wing last week - gave up after two episodes.

No subtitles.

I'd already seen this when it was broadcast, and started re watching on All4 during first lockdown. Eventually, the adverts and poor picture quality got to me.

So I ended up watching on YouTube. It's a paid show, so I had to buy each series for , I think , £18.  

I have just checked , and there are subtitles on that. I watched a few minutes, and all the dialogue is done, but it doesn't seem to explain other sounds, in the way some shows do.

@BucksRam - seasons 3 - 5 are still very good, it's just that I found Escobar really chilling in compelling in seasons 1 and 2. And yeh I loved the way they weaved real footage in too.  The acting in all of the seaosns is really top notch.

I also love the way they when they get into the Mexican cartel they start to weave the Cali cartel back into the story line because a lot of this was going on concurrently and the Mexicans were buying from the Colombians.

@Wolfie

American TV did a remake of that and rather surprisingly for foreign remakes it was excellent. Very noirish and great acting from the lead woman and the dude who was in Robocop and Altered Carbon.

For anybody who prefers not to bother with subtitles, then I'd go for this and it's on Netflix (I think).

oops, were you being serious @Eddie regarding subtitles?

I thought you were joking because we'd been talking about some foreign films and @ketteringram hadfallen for your joke.

Now I'm thinking you may be hard of hearing and I look like a bit of a tool for laughing.

Sorry if that is the case.

@ketteringram we watched seasons 1 to 3 with no adverts on All4 at the last place we rented.

Then when we moved into our new place and decided to pick it up again at the start of the 4th series there were suddenly adverts.

No way am I sitting through 20+ minutes of ads for a 1-hour program with no way of scrolling through, so we called it a day.

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

oops, were you being serious @Eddie regarding subtitles?

I thought you were joking because we'd been talking about some foreign films and @ketteringram hadfallen for your joke.

Now I'm thinking you may be hard of hearing and I look like a bit of a tool for laughing.

Sorry if that is the case.

Yes, serious.

No worries, no offence taken.

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

@BucksRam - seasons 3 - 5 are still very good, it's just that I found Escobar really chilling in compelling in seasons 1 and 2. And yeh I loved the way they weaved real footage in too.  The acting in all of the seaosns is really top notch.

I also love the way they when they get into the Mexican cartel they start to weave the Cali cartel back into the story line because a lot of this was going on concurrently and the Mexicans were buying from the Colombians.

@Wolfie

American TV did a remake of that and rather surprisingly for foreign remakes it was excellent. Very noirish and great acting from the lead woman and the dude who was in Robocop and Altered Carbon.

For anybody who prefers not to bother with subtitles, then I'd go for this and it's on Netflix (I think).

Doesn't seem to be on Netflix sadly.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

'Inside Number Nine' continues to warm the heart at every turn, followed by a listen to the 'Inside Inside Number Nine' podcast the next day. So layered, so innovative and while they can't all be the best one ever they are always the best thing on telly that night.

They are both really good actors as well as clever writers.

And I really like Sian Clifford who played such a different role last night.

23 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but "The Killing" on BBC4 makes for some excellent viewing. Danish with subtitles- a mix of murder and political skulduggery, although the series are quite long.

Worth checking out if that's your sort of thing.

I'm on this now...missed it first time round. Decent solid crime drama, better than Line of Duty imo. 

Just finished series 4 of Gomorra, a quite brilliant watch.  Feeling a little lost but i believe series 5 is out later this year.  Going to watch Suburra next and hope its somewhere near as good.  Also got L'Immortal to watch which is the spin off film from Gomorra so should keep me busy for now.

2 hours ago, NottsRam said:

Just finished series 4 of Gomorra, a quite brilliant watch.  Feeling a little lost but i believe series 5 is out later this year.  Going to watch Suburra next and hope its somewhere near as good.  Also got L'Immortal to watch which is the spin off film from Gomorra so should keep me busy for now.

Suburra is great too, without hitting the heady heights of Gomorra. In fairness, not much does.

I'm planning on watching L'immortale shortly before season 5 airs, as a bit of a refresher. Fingers crossed the show remains as well crafted as prior seasons. Thus far it remains firmly embedded in my 'Top 10 Ever' list.

20 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Suburra is great too, without hitting the heady heights of Gomorra. In fairness, not much does.

I'm planning on watching L'immortale shortly before season 5 airs, as a bit of a refresher. Fingers crossed the show remains as well crafted as prior seasons. Thus far it remains firmly embedded in my 'Top 10 Ever' list.

Out of interest, what else is in you top ten?  Would like to see if i'm missing out on anything.  Thanks