Watchable telly

dog

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Currently watching "Between" - a cross between Stephen King's "Under The Dome" and William Golding's "Lord Of The Flies".

A village is quarantined because all the adults are dying.

Pretty crap really.

You should be a copywriter because until the last line I was buying what you were selling!

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You should be a copywriter because until the last line I was buying what you were selling!

Yes, I missed out there. Without the last line it would have qualified as a 'cliffhanger' and I could have wangled another series out of it.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Katla.

Mind blown!

Were you mind blown in the same way as this review?

' Typical depressive, illogical, boring pile of garbage. Do not damage your brain with this, or kill yourself after watching'

.....or mind blown in a good way?

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

' Typical depressive, illogical, boring pile of garbage. Do not damage your brain with this, or kill yourself after watching'

I don’t know who did that critique, but they might not have been watching it after consuming 3 bottles of Belgian anti-freeze.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

The person writing that review doesn't understand the concept of 'Nordic Noir', I guess. I love the genre.

37 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I don’t know who did that critique, but they might not have been watching it after consuming 3 bottles of Belgian anti-freeze.

So you reckon I'm a lightweight, do you? Come on - outside. I'll ave you, big as you are.

(sips another)

You're my best mate, you are.

52 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

One episode in... It's Scandawegian noir which begins with a fit, naked lady walking out of an erupting volcano with only a bit of volcanic ash to preserve her modesty.

No idea at all what might have sparked @Eddie's interest ?

It was the Memsahib who said that we ought to watch it.

On 19/06/2021 at 23:23, Eddie said:

Katla.

Mind blown!

Finished it. Really enjoyed it in a "Still trying to work out wtf is going on" sort of way. Open-ended - I hope they make a second series.

Now moved on to 'Unit 42', a Belgian television show featured on Netflix (English dubbing and subtitles) where an ex-cop and a hacker team up to fight cybercrime.

Not quite "Life, the universe and everything", but pretty good so far.

Edited by Eddie

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Finished it. Really enjoyed it in a "Still trying to work out wtf is going on" sort of way. Open-ended - I hope they make a second series.

Really liked it. Think Grima gives the most plausible explanation herself. Also, the very last frame seems to strongly hint what comes next I thought, so second series seems likely. Thanks for the tip!

Sweet Tooth (Netflix)

based on a series of DC comics. Without going into too much detail - post-apocalyptic world, virus that’s bad, hybrid children being born, is there a link?

Its a 12, so despite being based on a graphic novel, and having some mature themes, it’s not too gory. Quite slow paced, only 8 episodes so not too much commitment either. Found it an easy watch, and characters develop over time so you like some by the end.

Gareth Roberts/10

2 hours ago, r4derby said:

Sweet Tooth (Netflix)

based on a series of DC comics. Without going into too much detail - post-apocalyptic world, virus that’s bad, hybrid children being born, is there a link?

Its a 12, so despite being based on a graphic novel, and having some mature themes, it’s not too gory. Quite slow paced, only 8 episodes so not too much commitment either. Found it an easy watch, and characters develop over time so you like some by the end.

Gareth Roberts/10

Was going to see if this was suitable for a family watch....girls aged 10 & 12?

5 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Was going to see if this was suitable for a family watch....girls aged 10 & 12?

Depends on their disposition. There’s a few violent moments, but you don’t really see much gore. It’s cleverly filmed. It’s centred around a boy, and the gritty world is seen through his eyes for the majority, so I’d say it’s ok. The biggest issues might be the mature themes, including how people handle those who are ‘sick’.

If your girls are ok with fantasy stuff, and threat to people getting hurt (without seeing too much of it) then they’ll probably be ok. Trying to explain without putting spoilers in! 

6 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Depends on their disposition. There’s a few violent moments, but you don’t really see much gore. It’s cleverly filmed. It’s centred around a boy, and the gritty world is seen through his eyes for the majority, so I’d say it’s ok. The biggest issues might be the mature themes, including how people handle those who are ‘sick’.

If your girls are ok with fantasy stuff, and threat to people getting hurt (without seeing too much of it) then they’ll probably be ok. Trying to explain without putting spoilers in! 

Thanks, that helps. Recently watched and were fine with Hunger Games and Divergent so sounds like this will be OK.