Watchable telly

dog

7 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Based on positive comments on here I've started watching Spiral and now part way through series 3. It's superb and the Gilou character is brilliant. On BBC i-player and highly recommend it.

We started season 5 last night and you're right. I thought his character was a bit cartoonish in season 1 but it really develops.

On 27/06/2022 at 14:03, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did notice that 5 minutes into the first episode someone referred to them as Notts Forest.  Can imagine their faux outrage over something they been outraged about since at least 2010. Dear points of view, I'm a saddo who constantly goes on about Forest kingdoms, being world famous and Garibaldis etc ......

That alone gives it a Pele/10 for me. 

Yes, Sherwood was excellent ?

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Watched the Control Room, need to suspend your disbelief a tad ?

Yes. I watched two episodes last night but it didn't engage me enough and I got easily distracted watching the women's football on my Ipad at the same time (on silent - often the best way to watch football on TV ?). So I'll have to start from the beginning again if I can be bothered.

53 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Yes. I watched two episodes last night but it didn't engage me enough and I got easily distracted watching the women's football on my Ipad at the same time (on silent - often the best way to watch football on TV ?). So I'll have to start from the beginning again if I can be bothered.

I have watched all 3 episodes and still a bit confused….I am not sure it is worth it mate ?

On 19/07/2022 at 11:45, Bob The Badger said:

We started season 5 last night and you're right. I thought his character was a bit cartoonish in season 1 but it really develops.

We watched the whole lot during the first lockdown and thought it was brilliant. It made the behaviour of The Sweeney back in the 1970s look politically correct and the French judicial system absolutely bonkers.

Gilou is possibly one of the greatest TV characters in history.

On 19/07/2022 at 15:47, Tamworthram said:

"Please swap shirts at the end.... please swap shirts at the end..."

Currently enjoying Mayor of Kingstown on Paramount +

Jeremy Renner as a controller of the criminal element in his region, in particular in the prisons.

The violence and the portrayal of glamorous women is a bit Sin City like but it’s enjoyable fun ( in a grim way!)

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Currently enjoying Mayor of Kingstown on Paramount +

Jeremy Renner as a controller of the criminal element in his region, in particular in the prisons.

The violence and the portrayal of glamorous women is a bit Sin City like but it’s enjoyable fun ( in a grim way!)

Liked it a lot. Fairly rattles along and Renner is excellent. Think I read that a second series already confirmed too.

Part way through Ted Lasso at the moment on Apple TV. 

While not laugh out loud funny all the time, I can't help but melt over how warm-hearted it is. 

In real life the character would absolutely be incredibly annoying, but on TV he's just the right amount of charming. He'd be sacked within a week at Derby though.

Also, Brett Goldstein as Roy Kent doing his best Roy Keane impression is absolutely hilarious.

Finished Succession 3. 

Incredibly clever dialogue, great characters and just the right level of black comedy woven into the drama.

But I don't 'enjoy' it as much as other series.  There are no sympathetic characters and it's just so dripping in satire that I find myself thinking 'yeh, that's so clever/realistic/edgy' but without being genuinely totally gripped by the storyline. I'm an observer rather than actually invested in it.

Matthew McFayden's 'Tom' is the best character imo, he's so well written and is less one dimensional, as an eg Kendal started to get a bit too ridiculous this series for my taste.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Finished Succession 3. 

Incredibly clever dialogue, great characters and just the right level of black comedy woven into the drama.

But I don't 'enjoy' it as much as other series.  There are no sympathetic characters and it's just so dripping in satire that I find myself thinking 'yeh, that's so clever/realistic/edgy' but without being genuinely totally gripped by the storyline. I'm an observer rather than actually invested in it.

Matthew McFayden's 'Tom' is the best character imo, he's so well written and is less one dimensional, as an eg Kendal started to get a bit too ridiculous this series for my taste.

Yes I enjoyed all three series and I think it’s the cleverest of programmes but what we gain in entertainment we lose in believability.

I actually thought Kendal’s breakdown was well played and loved Romulus’s gauche attempts to cheer him up.

Still hope it comes back soon!

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2022 at 13:22, r4derby said:

In preparation for Stranger Things season 4 coming out soon (in 2 parts, the first in May) decided to watch through seasons 1-3 again. I forgot just how good the show is. Season 1 is excellent, just the right amount of episodes. Season 2 is shaping up to be the weakest of the 3 but still with some good ideas. Remember enjoying season 3 so looking forward to reaching that.

If you’ve not watched it, I’d highly recommend it. 

A recent convert to Stranger Things and just finished season 2 last night. I would agree with you & others that season 2 was a step down from 1 but we still enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to watching 3 & 4 in the coming weeks - which by all accounts are better still.

13 minutes ago, enachops said:

One more episode of Stranger Things to go. It’s going to be a classic. It could eclipse Breaking Bad as the greatest TV series of all time. 

First season was fab, second ok, third was disappointing and thought it had passed it's best before 85 date, fourth much darker and really good