v Ipswich Town (H) Match Thread

Derby blood

Overall for me, that game was more important in the result than in the performance. Home win and a clean sheet is job done imo. We’re positives and negatives to the performance. On the plus side, there was less kamikaze play in and around our own box, with the defence seeming more assured than recent times, which is a massive improvement, though they will face bigger tests. Still a lot to work on mind, a lot of our players still don’t seem quite on the same wavelength at times (tho this should come with time), but the bigger concern for me remains the midfield balance. Still feel we need a proper defensive mid to play behind the two, Evans looked exactly this before another Thorne occurred. Ledley looked better today, but I’m still not sure he’s that comfortable there, after all much of the second half we were in the lead so less suspectible to the break. Again I don’t think Bryson can play, very lucky to stay in the side after Saturday he’ll be lucky to remain again, he simply doesn’t have the strength or pace anymore to play the role. Tries his hardest but just isn’t suited, feel Johnson would be better there but a Hughes type ideal. 

Anyway, this is roughly how I saw it:

Carson 6- Calm enough with little to do, better distribution but still more to work on in that respect 

Bogle 7- Seemed more relaxed and assured, certainly a prospect

Keogh 7- Made some important defensive moves, some dodgy distribution though 

Tomori 5-Very weak in the air again, positionally poor also. Need converting to full back.

Forsyth 8 MOM- Always been a big critic but that was his best for a long long time, some excellent vision and good reading of the game 

Evans 7- Shame for his injury as he looked calm and composed

Bryson 5- Too weak for the role and had little impact again, always tries his hardest mind

Mount 5- Can see what he’s trying to do but nothing came off today, bad day at the office

Bennett 5- Pretty ineffective going forward, disappointingly since he had more space than Lawrence 

Nugent 6- Struggles to hold the ball up so not convincing in the role, some decent quick link play though 

Lawrence 6- Struggled against a three man marking him, scored again mind

Subs:

Ledley 7- Rotated too much to start with, better second half

Josefzoon 6- Took players on well

Marriott 5- Struggled to impose himself 

Lot to work on, but it feels like we have a lot more gears to go through unlike last year. Just need to find some balance and get kore game time into players together.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a lot of work to do obviously but at least we looked more certain of the plan today. It's been a mess at times in the past few games but I thought we were in control for the majority of the game, even if we didn't create many chances and it wasn't exhilerating for the most part. 

Didn't understand the Nugent inclusion, Waghorn should be getting game time for me. Marriott is an even more of a head scratching option at the moment when we're not playing into the strikers feet or putting them on a plate for them. 

Our fans need to chill out with the groaning too, literally doesn't help anyone. 

A good win though, if the performances aren't there yet (which they obviously aren't) we need to be picking up enough points to keep the pressure off us... tonight was a good example of how to do this. 

Comfortable win. Good clean sheet. Decent performance. 

The good news is, based on the same games last season we're 4 points better off after beating Reading away & Ipswich at home. We're still on course for the record points tally. 

Good night. 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

bailed out Tomori on occasions yet he makes one mistake and he’s jumped on more than any other player. Completely unjust.

Tomori - was a liability tonight, but we should probably persevere as he is a major talent just needs time to learn the game. He will go far.

Absolute unmitigated ducking poo.

Total ducking nonsense.

Utter balls.

Actually insulting.

Both were comfortable against a poor side. This desire to defend Keogh by slagging off other players is ducking ridiculous now, give it a break. Keogh didn't have to bail out anyone else any more than anyone had to bail him out.

They're pretty much the same player, but that's not really what you want in a partnership.

Tomori has lost/misjudged quite a few headers in recent matches but he won near on every one tonight and was the most active defender, got his head to it countless times and his passing was good too, no better or worse than Keogh's, including one ducking fantastic 40 yard ball in the second half.

Only thing he really did wrong all night was getting caught in possession trying to run it out from the back late in the second half, something Keogh had already done earlier.

He looked slightly suspect a couple of times when the ref was ignoring some blatant shirt-pulling on him, but the ref, who was ducking poo, was ignoring that all night until around the 89th minute when he finally gave us a couple of free kicks for it 

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It's a shame that Lowe has been bombed out in favour of either Forsyth or Malone, but in a back four, you need the right blend of youth and experience and even though we could go with Bogle and Lowe as first choice full backs, it'd probably be suicidal from a defensive point of view.

I don’t think we’ll see Lowe play again, bar injuries. He doesn’t know when to go forward, leaving us exposed at the back. Horribly so sometimes.

You can say he’s young and inexperienced - but he’s 21. Be one thing if he were 18 and doing it, but he’s not. It’s a truly fundamental aspect of your game if you play there.

Bogle’s performance tonight only highlighted this - that instinct of when to go, and as importantly, when not to go, is clearly there with Bogle. He’s 18, so struggled defensively when it got physical, but he’s an exciting prospect.

Lowe excited us all because he ran past a few disinterested Southampton players in a pre-season friendly. I personally think he’s got to find a new position to play our level regularly.

Craig Forsyth was one of the best full-backs in the league for two consecutive seasons before his first ACL. He then came back for a handful of games and did the other one - effectively two whole seasons out. No idea why this is widely forgotten!

Last year was all about recovery and finding fitness and I was looking forward to seeing the old Fozzy back. We have 4 first team left backs, and I remain convinced that he’s still the best of the lot.

Have at it, Derby finally get a home win over our team, guess congratulations are in order.

Took long enough and fine up until the time of finish, but nothing lasts forever.    Been taking in game report from TWTD and other relevant sources and seems it was something of a poor encounter.   You know, lackluster, devoid of effort or maybe entertainment.   In my defense I wasn't there but the reports would be accurate.

Why we go with a lone attacker is a mystery, particularly when the team is so desperate for viable attacking options.   Hurst seems to favor this occasion, to what end I don't know.     It's not working for us, it's not going to operate for future purposes.

Pleased Nugent (or is it relief) didn't get a goal against us this time out but overall I think you'll agree both teams were poor and if the manner of performance continues for the mainstay of this season, both clubs are going to have trouble reaching potential promotion places.    Frank was a good choice for you, or at least he may prove to be so - hungry young manager with ideas and expectations, Derby tried something different, it may well work out in both their best interests.

I look at today one time further and realistically what can I ascertain ?    We're an average team that could take a while to blend the new kids and there's obvious voids in the squad that need immediate attention.    Having an owner who has his head in his ass more often than not or never sees to realize the true extent of the clubs problems - at least until it's too late - has been a concern for some considerable time now.    This will continue for future occasion, only until he has left our club can we hope to achieve.

To encapsulate things, I think what you may have seen today were two clubs that were once quite distinguished and made an impact on British soccer (possessing stellar squads, adding to honors lists) but have fallen away considerably by 21st Century standards and seemed an eternity away from past accomplishments.    Clubs like ours shouldn't be (ideally) discussing inept games in the championship league, can only hope a return to EPL status arrives sooner than expected.     (Would) Hope to beat you in the return game at Portman Road obviously.

6 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Keogh ? Really not sure what's happened to him as of late , he's a good footballer it must be a mental issue.

Tomori will look better when Davies is at the side of him 

I really don't get this! Tomori has made more mistakes this season than Keogh, Yet it is Keogh that you want to drop.

5 hours ago, Coconut said:

Absolute unmitigated ducking poo.

Total ducking nonsense.

Utter balls.

Actually insulting.

Both were comfortable against a poor side. This desire to defend Keogh by slagging off other players is ducking ridiculous now, give it a break. Keogh didn't have to bail out anyone else any more than anyone had to bail him out.

They're pretty much the same player, but that's not really what you want in a partnership.

Tomori has lost/misjudged quite a few headers in recent matches but he won near on every one tonight and was the most active defender, got his head to it countless times and his passing was good too, no better or worse than Keogh's, including one ducking fantastic 40 yard ball in the second half.

Only thing he really did wrong all night was getting caught in possession trying to run it out from the back late in the second half, something Keogh had already done earlier.

He looked slightly suspect a couple of times when the ref was ignoring some blatant shirt-pulling on him, but the ref, who was ducking poo, was ignoring that all night until around the 89th minute when he finally gave us a couple of free kicks for it 

And you have the audacity to call my post insulting given your first 4 comments?! Really?

I called for Keogh to be dropped last season in the run in. Sometimes when the pressure is on, he forgets the basics and starts chasing after the ball forgetting his position. When he does that as an experienced player, I have a problem. My issue last night is he barely made an error  (he actually played well) and the abuse he got was massively disproportionate yet others got an easy ride.

Tomori was a liability last night. That’s my opinion and in no way I’m saying that to defend Keogh. However I think Tomori will be brilliant and go to the top of the game so we should keep playing him. It’s good the fans didn’t get on his case as he’s a young lad learning the game. I should’ve used other examples such as Bryson and Nuge who made more mistakes than Keogh yet got an easier ride

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

I really don't get this! Tomori has made more mistakes this season than Keogh, Yet it is Keogh that you want to drop.

You can accept the odd mistake when playing out from the back but Keogh at the moment looks as though every time he receives the ball from Carson he panics ! 

Maybe wrong but last night did Lawrence keep losing the ball that is what I saw I think he was poor and kept getting in mount's way.

Not sure the balance is right with Lawrence and Mount in the same line -up.

Would like to see Waghorn and Marriot up front together think they could cause problems.

Ipswich very poor Derby about average.

12 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

You can accept the odd mistake when playing out from the back but Keogh at the moment looks as though every time he receives the ball from Carson he panics ! 

The subtlety you're missing is that Keogh, at present with this system, has probably twice the number of touches than anybody else of the ball. Consistently the out ball and yet he still has the gumption to want the ball and keep playing the way he's being asked to. If you're getting the ball double anybody else you have double the chance of a mistake. 

I'm not his biggest fan. Not because I don't think he's decent. Simply because fans are on his back from the very first mistake. We had a decent opening 8-10 mins. Towards the end of them he cleared the ball almost straight up and immediately there are groans. It's not good for him and probably projects to other players too. 

Archived