v Ipswich Town (H) Match Thread

Derby blood

2 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

For a monent there I thought you were describing Bryson! The “ sacred cow” of the team who runs around like a headless chicken and is forgiven by many for nostalgic reasons. I get his “passion” and his “work rate” and  the “ he’s a Ram” defences put forward but when you watch him closely he isn’t effective,despite his willingness and we desperately need a younger version of him.For me,and I appreciate his past efforts,his race is run.

Thought he was a lot more effective last night. Lots of little tackles and interceptions that upset their rhythm. The ‘hes a ram’ argument doesn’t bother me, I couldn’t care less, but he brings us an energy and a tempo we need for the style we want to play. He’s not the free stacking player he was a few years ago, but he’s still a useful, experienced CM to me. Not perfect ability wise but we need a workhorse in there.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Oh, that's what you call it....ok, it was a 'patient' performance......do you think that 'patient' performance is going to encourage fans to come and see other 'patient' performances??? I personally would like to see slightly more than 2 shots on target and making the opposition goalkeeper work slightly harder than was the case last night, especially at home......

Couldn’t care less what other fans do tbh. The less impatient moaners the better. Half of them haven’t a clue about football anyway if you listen to them. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am quite happy to give Frank plenty of time. Sacking Manager after Manager gets you nowhere. He has my total support. If this season becomes a 'work in progress' and we finish mid table fine. I am just commenting on what I saw last night and it was very poor in virtually every respect other than the result.....and slightly worrying to be honest.....

You’re watching last night without context if you’re worried. 3 weeks in. 

If you add context then surely you can’t be worried at this stage?? 

1 hour ago, rcarso1 said:

For a monent there I thought you were describing Bryson! The “ sacred cow” of the team who runs around like a headless chicken and is forgiven by many for nostalgic reasons. I get his “passion” and his “work rate” and  the “ he’s a Ram” defences put forward but when you watch him closely he isn’t effective,despite his willingness and we desperately need a younger version of him.For me,and I appreciate his past efforts,his race is run.

Completely agree, the old guard are done. imo this side would suit 4-2-3-1 to get wingers more involved and support to the striker and dropping Bryson to a cheerleader role on the bench. When fully fit I think the best side would be:

Carson

Bogle     Davies        Tomori      Malone

Huddlestone   Mount

Wilson            Lawrence          Jozefzoon

Waghorn

Roos, Wisdom, Lowe, Evans, Bryson, Bennett, Marriott

55 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

You’re watching last night without context if you’re worried. 3 weeks in. 

If you add context then surely you can’t be worried at this stage?? 

My concern is that in the 3 games I have seen we have not had control of the midfield whatsoever, they almost seem to be bypassed, we are creating very little and look vulnerable at the back...other than that things are fine. I totally understand that it will take time to incorporate the changes, finalise his best X1 and formation etc etc, I am just hoping it doesn't take too long. If it does I think against the better teams we will be in for a few 'Leeds type' hidings......

Our worst passer was Bennett, which isn't much of a surprise - but our next worst was Mount and he really needs to pick up that side of his game. His movement is very good but I don't think he has the clarity of mind required at the moment.

Probably needs to calm down a little.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

My concern is that in the 3 games I have seen we have not had control of the midfield whatsoever, they almost seem to be bypassed, we are creating very little and look vulnerable at the back...other than that things are fine. I totally understand that it will take time to incorporate the changes, finalise his best X1 and formation etc etc, I am just hoping it doesn't take too long. If it does I think against the better teams we will be in for a few 'Leeds type' hidings......

Too early JR the aim is to accumulate enough points to keep in touch whilst we adapt.  I think they realise that by the time we play the dogs we must be close to having decided on the best 11.  I suggest anybody wanting instant results and uplift in performance should go into hibernation.  It feels to me like an extended pre season which will undoubtedly upset many but I want a realistic improvement that can be maintained not Get results till Xmas then collapse, repeat next season.

22 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Too early JR the aim is to accumulate enough points to keep in touch whilst we adapt.  I think they realise that by the time we play the dogs we must be close to having decided on the best 11.  I suggest anybody wanting instant results and uplift in performance should go into hibernation.  It feels to me like an extended pre season which will undoubtedly upset many but I want a realistic improvement that can be maintained not Get results till Xmas then collapse, repeat next season.

Not expecting miracles but just a bit underwhelmed with the performance.

21 hours ago, Jortat said:

Its all gone very quiet at work. The office is empty ,1 tractor boy has gone home "sick" and I am sitting smugly in my office witha big Derby screen saver on my PC. Cant wait for the handover at 6am to the real hardcore Tractor boys who went up to the match tonight.

I cant bloody wait lol .Well done Derby.Onwards and upwards.COYR

I have had a great time at work ripping the piss out of the  army of tractor boys last night. I think the day shift  boys appreciated my little presents i placed in their lockers last night . I managed to get a skeleton key from security last night and printed out a match report from last nights game and stuck them on the inside of all their lockers so they saw it first thing this morning(I didnt want the day boys to miss out as I slept )

I can live as a king until the away return leg and by christ I am gonna enjoy it .

1 hour ago, superzak said:

I think the win last night is clouding a lot of peoples perception of improvement. If that had been Leeds again last night we would have lost 4-1 again.

I’m not.  Just another game experience for FL they are a long way from impressive.  Every point gained at the moment is good.  Probably 2/3rd of the league are beatable by us as we are the others are well ahead.  By October I hope we will see progress

4 hours ago, Duracell said:

We have never played well because of Bryson - but when we’ve played well, he’s been one of our best players.

He’s a runner, as you mention - but he needs something to run on to. He’s an accurate if unspectacular passer of the ball. A competent dribbler but nothing special. But he has eye for goal and fearsome shot.

In a team that’s purring, he’s a valuable asset: mopping up second balls, playing in strikers, linking up, even running past the centre forward. We sadly haven’t been able to see any of that yet, which has made him look ineffective - because he has been ineffective. Bryson has never been one to adapt and take games by the scruff of the neck - he just isn’t that sort of big personality midfielder.

I think the biggest argument for keeping him in the side is to help him and the team learn about each other, because if things click, he will worth having in the side. I personally don’t think this can happen without the tactics changing slightly. Mount is currently firmly camped in the opposition half, occupying the space where Bryson is most useful. Bryson has therefore had to make a home for himself in a deeper position. Rather than quick interchanges with the forwards, he’s doing quick interchanges under no pressure with the centre halves. It’s accurate but totally harmless. 

It’s not do to with age for me, you can play a player very similar to him who’s five years younger and you’d get the same results at present. I don’t think Mount and Bryson work together without a big lynchpin CDM, because even if Mount did drop deeper, at least one of the two of them would always be having to do some of the roles of a traditional holding midfielder, stifling their ability to come to life in the final and most effective third.

It’s a work in progress. Let’s not write anybody out of it yet. There’s a lot to learn.

Great post and just a wee thought , maybe craig is being told by the gaffer what role to play ? I know he loves a free role and going past the centre forwaed and getting into the box but maybe just maybe he’s being asked to play in a different way by lampard to the detriment of himself but one thing if he’s asked to do something for derby county he will do it 

24 minutes ago, valleyram said:

Great post and just a wee thought , maybe craig is being told by the gaffer what role to play ? I know he loves a free role and going past the centre forwaed and getting into the box but maybe just maybe he’s being asked to play in a different way by lampard to the detriment of himself but one thing if he’s asked to do something for derby county he will do it 

Of course. I think this is exactly what’s happening!

Could yet click. Mount hasn’t got going yet, he and Bryson don’t appear to be on the same wavelength.

Bryson notably got much further forward with Evans on the pitch and we saw flashes of his old self.

The teething problem is the system, not the personnel. 

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Of course. I think this is exactly what’s happening!

Could yet click. Mount hasn’t got going yet, he and Bryson don’t appear to be on the same wavelength.

Bryson notably got much further forward with Evans on the pitch and we saw flashes of his old self.

The teething problem is the system, not the personnel. 

Correct mate 

Archived