v Ipswich Town (H) Match Thread

Derby blood

38 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

The subtlety you're missing is that Keogh, at present with this system, has probably twice the number of touches than anybody else of the ball. Consistently the out ball and yet he still has the gumption to want the ball and keep playing the way he's being asked to. If you're getting the ball double anybody else you have double the chance of a mistake. 

I'm not his biggest fan. Not because I don't think he's decent. Simply because fans are on his back from the very first mistake. We had a decent opening 8-10 mins. Towards the end of them he cleared the ball almost straight up and immediately there are groans. It's not good for him and probably projects to other players too. 

I don't think the fans are in his back though ! I for one give him more time and allow him more mistakes because it's Keogh and he's a modern day club legend . I don't want him banished from the team and stoneing in the town square . I simply think he needs a match or so out of the team and sort his head. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleased with the win. Think we deserved it in the end. 

I'm confident Lampard will get it right and will get it to click. 

Just a few things for me.

I don't understand why you'd spend £8 million on 2 strikers and leave them both on the bench in favour of Nugent. I love Nugent. But he shouldn't be starting. From what I've seen so far at Oldham and tonight. I'd like to see Marriott get a run. 

Bryson. Again. Love the bloke. But I genuinely couldn't tell you what he brings to this team. He got a 7 from Steve Nicholson in the paper cos he was full of running. He runs and runs. Not quite sure how he gets picked. 

Keogh. Hoping as soon as Davies is back he'll be out the team. Yes Tomori wasn't brilliant last night either. But it feels like we're going backwards when Keogh, Bryson etc are in the team. 

Bennett. Fully deserved to start. Cannot argue. But really. Is he the answer? Really want to see Jozefzoon get a run. Keep seeing glimpses. Bennett drifts inside so often. Jozefzoon hugs the wing. He's quick and direct. Something we've been crying out for for ages. 

Really not sure why Lampard was saying we played well last night. Because I thought we were poor, slow and laboured and it was a completely underwhelming performance. Winning with 2 deflected goals just papered over the cracks. 

Saturday is gonna be much harder. Play like that and we'll get beat. Play that side and we'll get beat. 

The system still doesn't work for me at all. The midfield don't do a lot. I'd still be tempted with a 4231 formation. 

Carson, Bogle, Tomori, Davies, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Thorne, Mount, Jozefzoon, Lawrence, Marriott. 

That'd be my side assuming that Davies and Huddlestone are fit. But I highly doubt that would happen. 

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Really not sure why Lampard was saying we played well last night. Because I thought we were poor, slow and laboured and it was a completely underwhelming performance. Winning with 2 deflected goals just papered over the cracks.  

I suspect that frank was so relieved to get a win that he went a bit over board in his praise. It was a slightly strange after match interview in that respect.

Went to the match last night all in all rather impressed (Apart from the horrendous traffic EVERYWHERE AFTERWARDS). Felt sorry for Evans as I think he was just starting to slot into the match, Jayden Bogle looked very good fitted in like he had been playing for years, defending wise they didn’t have much to do. I do feel sorry for the defence trying to play from the back as the movement in midfield and up top first half was non existent! Jzoefoon (however it is spelt) looked very good loved the way he cut inside on numerous occasions that’s what we need from our wide players! Got to get a start for me. 

Little worrying how we are struggling to create chances in open play for me. Again scored two goals from set pieces.. other than that I don’t think their keeper was tested. Mount and Nugent should of both hit the target. 

Ah, another thread about Keogh.

FWIW I didn't think there was much between him and Tomori last night in terms of 'mistakes' (doesn't every player make mistakes in a game?).  They both got caught in possession and they both ran into a couple of blind alleys and put us under pressure.  I'm afraid I was guilty of exhorting both of them  to put their foot through it now and again rather than dilly dally on the ball looking for a pass that wasn't there.  To be fair, there were many times when the midfield would just run away from them and give them no options!  Nonetheless, as it didn't really lead to Ipswich creating any meaningful chances I'm not losing too much sleep over it.   I don't see Keogh as the automatic one for the drop when Davies is fit, but it is probably quite a close decision.

Overall, last night wasn't exactly wonderful, but hopefully provides something to build on.  We didn't create much, they created even less and didn't seem too bothered to try.  I would like to think that the 'pressure' we built (what there was of it) at least led to the chance to get the odd shot in and bought a few free kicks.  Got to keep pushing against miserable teams like Ipswich and get what you can.

Bogle looks a good prospect.  Felt a bit for Bennett - didn't quite grab his opportunity  but tried hard to get in the game.  Midfield just couldn't get into the game in the first half, slightly better in the second.  Nuge ran a lot, which is all he could do with little service.  

Still... a win is a win.  I said that a lot last year after playing poorly and still winning.  I'm hoping the difference here is that Frank is trying to get us playing more attractive football and its going to take time to get there.  Rowett was quite happy for us to be turgid as long as we won and had zero intention of changing.

Carson - nothing to do, distribution fairly good

Bogle - got better as we went on I thought, got caught out a few times, but basically did well

Keogh - thought he had a fairly good game, although maybe I was in some sort of parallel universe because some of the abuse he was getting from the South Stand was disgusting. On one occasion there was a woman screaming at him to sort himself out when Mount had just lost the ball.

Tomori - has all the talent, needs to learn about positioning and when to go and when to hold. Comes with age. He will make mistakes, we need to be patient. Can Rams fans do that?

Forsyth - I was chuffed for him, he was my MOTM, dominated the left side, so pleased to see him back, fit and confident.

Evans - can't be a coincidence the first half tailed off when he went off. Very promising, hope he's okay. Fear he isn't.

Bryson - frustrating. Yes he runs, great. But his accuracy in passing and control really let him down tonight.

Mount - definitely an off night. Clearly a talent but nothing seemed to happen for him.

Bennett - he's turned into an absolute unit now! Lots of endeavour, no end product.

Nugent - love the guy but should he really be our starter? Not for me

Lawrence - not sure how he won MOTM, I thought he was dreadful first half, did better in the second when he got stuck in.

Ledley - much improved performance

Marriott - very willing but barely touched the ball

Josefzoon - exciting, needs a start.

Fans - ruined the evening for me. It's going to be a long bloody season if our so called supporters can't handle our players being in possession. The number of times people were getting on their backs screaming at them to go forward or attack when there were no options was embarassing. It panicks the defenders into getting rid and making poor decisions, and then the same morons in the stands get on their backs for losing the ball! We. Are. In. Transition. We have to be patient, support the players and understand what we're trying to do. Really irritated me, and Lampard judging by his post match comments.

Lastly, I'm not convinced by Mount and Bryson in a midfield three. They need to learn that when one goes forward, the other stays put. Mount was playing like a number 10 last night and in my view that's why the midfield often looks so exposed. I'm not sure he has the discipline to play in midfield. If Lampard wants Mount that far forward, then we need somebody a bit more defensive instead of Bryson, whether that is Thorne, Huddlestone or Johnson. Mount also needs to learn where he is supposed to be. Him and Lawrence were getting in each other's way a lot, standing in the middle when Forsyth needed someone in front of him.

It's not far off, but tweaks and game time still needed. 

Im probably the only one who thought Tamouri was MOM. The guy matched their striker for pace and power throughout. Won every battle never got turned, was dominate in the air. Passing to feet was good and sprayed a 70 yard ball across field to Bennett's feet, yet people want to remember one ball he missed at the back post. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Absolutely awful game of football...thought I was watching two League 2 teams...SPL even, it was that bad. Only positive was the 3 points. Lots and lots of work to do for Frank.....

Come onnnn it was 2 teams with new managers feeling their ways into the new season. I fear you’ve not seen much league 2 football if you’re comparing last night to it ha

8 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Fans - ruined the evening for me. It's going to be a long bloody season if our so called supporters can't handle our players being in possession. The number of times people were getting on their backs screaming at them to go forward or attack when there were no options was embarassing. It panicks the defenders into getting rid and making poor decisions, and then the same morons in the stands get on their backs for losing the ball! We. Are. In. Transition. We have to be patient, support the players and understand what we're trying to do. Really irritated me, and Lampard judging by his post match comments.

^^^^ This!

The constant moaning when we played the ball sideways or back last night really got on my nerves. We really need to be patient and supportive. We’re changing from a system where, last season, the manager saw a 30% possession stat as a positive. It’s going to take time to get the new style right because it’s such a change. How is constantly moaning and shouting at players going to help their confidence?

2 minutes ago, SaffyRam said:

^^^^ This!

The constant moaning when we played the ball sideways or back last night really got on my nerves. We really need to be patient and supportive. We’re changing from a system where, last season, the manager saw a 30% possession stat as a positive. It’s going to take time to get the new style right because it’s such a change. How is constantly moaning and shouting at players going to help their confidence?

Absolutely! I started to kick-off at a bunch of twits moaning about Keogh but was with the Mrs so was told by her to STFU ("can you not kick-off when I'm here please" - that means it's ok when she's not there...? Women...). I'm not saying Keogh is perfect but he literally had no options to pass forward yet they were slating him. Unbelievable. These oafs just watch the ball and not the game - I was looking for his options and there were none other than punt it to their big centre halves. When we did get pressed and Carson lumped it (no choice) we lost possession - obviously.  A number of other players made far more mistakes than Keogh yet nothing was said - it's just embarrassing to be honest.  

Lamps had a bit of a dig about the fans in his post-match interview and quite right too.

Tomori - on the ball and his long range passing were exceptional but needs to be a little more... safe in terms of his defending. He took a bizarre position when they broke on our left and he was pretty much last man. Seemed an unnecessary risk - he only just pulled it off by falling into the guy. But he looks like a player to me - quick, strong, not great in the air (we didn't want a header in the first half?) but given his age, could be a star.

Ipswich were well organised but let's be honest, we beat a fairly poor side. However, there were signs after we scored the first goal that this system could work. There were a few pressing moves where we did it as a unit and it worked really well but in the first half they weren't doing it as a unit so big spaces got left. If the players buy into it, it'll work 'cos winning the ball in midfield like that is always a great place to break from. 

Not sure how Lawrence got MoM either - wasn't awful but lost the ball quite a bit (which I sorta don't mind as he was trying to beat players). Tomori prob my MoM for the 70 yard pass - for style points alone, let alone it was to feet!

9 hours ago, MoleyMcMolerson said:

Up top. His work rate is astonishing, his movement is premier league quality, and he's probably one of the best players we've acquired at this level since we've come back up.

Got to say, £2m was a bit of a steal for a player so obviously talented.

Good luck to him, he had plenty of chances here but it never seemed to work for him

We struggled to turn Ipswich, which is understandable when they have everyone behind the ball and the midfield is packed. They won a lot of the physical battles, being touch tight on our players (ref let them get away with a lot of pushing and shirt pulling). We never did the same with them and actually have them space to find a few passes. 

We look so much better once we’ve turned a team. For that, we need either a quick set of passes in midfield where we actually control the ball or a player that can turn and beat a man. That was difficult last night. 

I thought Fozzie was great last night. His passing forward was quick and accurate. More like that needed from the others. Bennett needed to hug the wing like Jozefzoon. 

Bryson more effective in a stretched game. He struggled playing in half a pitch with 18 odd players in it. 

12 hours ago, 86 points said:

I think folk are more frustrated at how inconsistent the lad is than resentful, least I bloody well hope so!

The 'I'd love to be proved wrong' brigade aren't ever going to give him credit for anything. Even when he scores, it's someone else's fault rather than anything he does.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Bryson. Again. Love the bloke. But I genuinely couldn't tell you what he brings to this team. He got a 7 from Steve Nicholson in the paper cos he was full of running. He runs and runs. Not quite sure how he 

Bennett. Fully deserved to start. Cannot argue. But really. Is he the answer? Really want to see Jozefzoon get a run. Keep seeing glimpses. Bennett drifts inside so often. Jozefzoon hugs the wing. He's quick and direct. Something we've been crying out for for ages. 

Couldn’t agree more Jozefzoon should definitely get a start rather than looking for a pass back he cuts inside well with skill and pace and gets into dangerous areas. It sumed it up for me when Bennett tried to cross through a defender when he had time to cut back and bring the shot on! 

Bryson again 100% Work rate 0% productivity. 

It’s such a good feeling waking up in the morning 3 points to the good and in the top half of the table.

where were we when our numerous other new managers arrived 4 games in ? Had they changed the entire look of the team in both style and players ? 

Derby have a new car and these days there are so many features it takes a while to know what you’ve got and how to use it. I’ve just “discovered”sport mode on my auto box and suddenly drivings got much more interesting  ... I reckon Frank Lampards Derby is metaphorically a few games behind me. Anyway, Frank .. what you is, don’t switch it over to Manual, you just pull the stick back once an engage S. ?

It’s going to happen sooner rather than later - COYR 

12 hours ago, cosmic said:

Haha get in another goalie howler for all the Lawrence haters. 

12 hours ago, G-Ram said:

That was terrible goal keeping but they all count ?? 

12 hours ago, Kinder said:

I know the keeper should have saved that but he does hit them well! He’ll keep getting picked if he keeps doing that, regardless of what else he does!

The free kick was all about Ledley, and his position in the wall. Their number 7 was on the end, he stepped to his left and left a space that Ledley then filled, blocking the keepers view. Lawrence placed it perfectly where Ledley was and the keeper did not see it until it was through the wall, and the pace beat him. 

Why does Nugent seem to get a massive round of applause whenever he is subbed off? Last night he had one shot which went wide and for the rest of the game he just jogged around, failed to hold the ball up and was out of position constantly. I see him as a bench player that should be behind Marriott and Waghorn - He isn't good enough to keep 2 players who cost us 8 million out of the side. I also think that he is immune to criticism - people will quite happily jump on Lawrence's back yet hes scored 3 in 4. Just surprises me that people think running around for 75 minutes means hes "done his job" - isn't his job to help the team and actually test the keeper.

My team for Preston -

Carson

Bogle        Tomori        Davies        Forsyth

Ledley

Bryson              Mount

Jozefzoon                                    Lawrence

Waghorn

# I think Davies is back so he will probably be on the bench but i hope this is the team, how long are Wilson and Malone out for? And any news on Evans or Huddlestone?

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Tomori is scary when the ball is in the air. He doesn't seem to be able to predict the flight! Other than that I quite like him.

Forsyth did well, Bogle too. Poorest game for Mount in a Derby shirt. JoFlo looked good too and he at least battles away. 

Our midfield creates weird passing angles. They kind of get in positions where you can either pass to all of them or none of them. They line up! They don't work in triangles. That's a pretty big balance issue for the team. 

Dribbledribble will be able to masturbate to the highlights tonight after another 92mins of being counter productive. 

Keogh... what's going on? Why you flapping in possession?

That's nail on the head for me. We're trying to play passing football but there is never an available pass on. Mac 1's team always played with those triangles and allowed to play around the press from the opposition.

We can't deal with the press at the moment. This means patient football isn't working, meaning more disjointed play, players taking more touches on the ball, or having to dribble till a player is available for a pass. This allows the other team to keep its structural integrity of its formation, making them harder to break down.

People talk about playing with more tempo, but that's too difficult if passing options are unavailable. Why are players so far apart? 

Archived