v Ipswich Town (H) Match Thread

Derby blood

1 minute ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Work in progress, can’t win them all playing well and nice to win when we don’t, much improved 2nd half

agree with most on ineffective midfield, only shored when Ledley came on, bogle impressed most, Bryson for all his running was ineffective so baffling to hear rams tv gave him mom 

Game we don’t normally win so bonus 3 points!

Funnily enough I think most thought it was better without Ledley!

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Another positive is they didn't manage to half destroy one of our players career with a reckless challenge in a nothing game.

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

After back-to-back defeats and discontent growing, we'll take a win by any means necessary. You don't get any points for style, after all.

Two more wins before the international break and suddenly there's momentum and a platform to build on.

Better and more fluent performances will surely come when we start to play a settled XI and Frank grows into the role. I refuse to believe we peaked in pre-season.

The only concern for me is that so far, only Mount looks better than what we already had and again brings into question why we made 9 signings.

Agree re Mount being only obvious improvement. 

Good result against a club we always struggle against at home 

poor game in my mind but unusual scorer in ledley and another free kick for Lawrence which should have been saved in my opinion

currently we are crying out for someone to get on the ball 

MOM Forsyth for me because he did everything properly 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I assume Lawrence got MOTM in order to boost his confidence.

Because yeah that's exactly what we need, Lawrence with more self-confidence to go on those mazy runs and ballhog more.

Yes you’re spot on. We’d actually be a lot better off if he turned and played it back to his full back rather than make things happen. We shouldn’t actually praise any of our players for fear that they may take risks on the ball. Booooooooo.

Well...I actually quite enjoyed that.

First half was poor yes, but it wasn’t like we weren’t doing the right things it was more the positioning of players/poor passing behind players. Bennett was a joy to watch though, his grinding out was the foundations of us winning that. The other attackers need to learn that you need to put in that effort before you start trying the clever play. But second half, we settled and we started looking like a team who are starting to gel. Ledley, for all the stick he gets, was excellent. Disciplined positionally and simple with the ball, made it look simple. Bryson was a bit more like it too. Mount will get there but needs to move off the ball better. Technically great, maybe hasn’t got the intelligence to use it just yet. Forsyth looked back to his best, whoever has had that word with him...can they please have it with Thorne? Thought the central defender were fine, don’t quite feel the need for Davies after a clean sheet but can we get our defensive headers away from landing nicely on the edge of the box! Bogle looked the part, except being caught out s couple of times positionally, but liked the look of him.

Only real disappointment was Nugent. Deserves criticism for not being up with play when Bryson crossed in first half. He was unmarked with no one near him, to be in line with the cross was poor Other strikers would get it so why not him? We also really need someone to hold the ball upfront, can’t quite see why Huddlestone having time on the ball with 10 opposition players ahead of him would improve us. We need a player who can get the ball with his back to goal and lay it into others. Nugent is not that, Martin and possibly Waghorn possibly are. To keep the ball in their half is a must, it’ll also stop the defensive sideways passing being so relied on. For it to work we need to take the pressure off the defence 

Thats me stream of conciousness, the building blocks are starting to be put in place. I can see how we want to play and when it starts to work it’ll be a joy. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Good result against a club we always struggle against at home 

poor game in my mind but unusual scorer in ledley and another free kick for Lawrence which should have been saved in my opinion

currently we are crying out for someone to get on the ball 

MOM Forsyth for me because he did everything properly 

I thought forsyth was excellent 

I remember the days when fans watched their team good or bad and generally supported the efforts of the players. These days its seems popular to try to be the big man by rubbishing your own side. Don't get me wrong we can all see deficiencies but for goodness sake why harp on and on about this player or that player who are "Crap"? Possibly they can improve, why not wait and see? Is it the playground thing of trying to impress your mates?

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I remember the days when fans watched their team good or bad and generally supported the efforts of the players. These days its seems popular to try to be the big man by rubbishing your own side. Don't get me wrong we can all see deficiencies but for goodness sake why harp on and on about this player or that player who are "Crap"? Possibly they can improve, why not wait and see? Is it the playground thing of trying to impress your mates?

Everyone wants to be the tactical genius to point out what’s going wrong. It’s called MNFitis

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Well...I actually quite enjoyed that.

First half was poor yes, but it wasn’t like we weren’t doing the right things it was more the positioning of players/poor passing behind players. Bennett was a joy to watch though, his grinding out was the foundations of us winning that. The other attackers need to learn that you need to put in that effort before you start trying the clever play. But second half, we settled and we started looking like a team who are starting to gel. Ledley, for all the stick he gets, was excellent. Disciplined positionally and simple with the ball, made it look simple. Bryson was a bit more like it too. Mount will get there but needs to move off the ball better. Technically great, maybe hasn’t got the intelligence to use it just yet. Forsyth looked back to his best, whoever has had that word with him...can they please have it with Thorne? Thought the central defender were fine, don’t quite feel the need for Davies after a clean sheet but can we get our defensive headers away from landing nicely on the edge of the box! Bogle looked the part, except being caught out s couple of times positionally, but liked the look of him.

Only real disappointment was Nugent. Deserves criticism for not being up with play when Bryson crossed in first half. He was unmarked with no one near him, to be in line with the cross was poor Other strikers would get it so why not him? We also really need someone to hold the ball upfront, can’t quite see why Huddlestone having time on the ball with 10 opposition players ahead of him would improve us. We need a player who can get the ball with his back to goal and lay it into others. Nugent is not that, Martin and possibly Waghorn possibly are. To keep the ball in their half is a must, it’ll also stop the defensive sideways passing being so relied on. For it to work we need to take the pressure off the defence 

Thats me stream of conciousness, the building blocks are starting to be put in place. I can see how we want to play and when it starts to work it’ll be a joy. 

Agree with pretty much every word!

Forsyth was fine defensively but I wouldn’t say he was that great to the extent that he was Motm like some are stating. His passing was very sloppy like last season and he gave the ball away a number of times. Him and Lawrence don’t appear to be on the same wavelength. I still prefer Malone as the starter and then Lowe/Forsyth competing for a back up spot. Tomori and Bogle were better IMO.

Carson’s passing was better today. That’s what I like to see, players working on their weaknesses and then seeing improvements. Good to see as it shows he’s been working hard in training with Given.

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Ledley, for all the stick he gets, was excellent. Disciplined positionally and simple with the ball, made it look simple. 

Completely agree with your post. But this bit was funny. If you go through this match thread you'll see the point where he came on for Evans. He bombed forward to the Ipswich box in that first half and us on here were infuriated! Very glad that he stuck to that deep role in the 2nd half and hopefully Frank will be reminding him that he's not to go into the opposition's third in future...unless we have a corner of course!

A few random thoughts:

How did Forsyth not get MOM? Best I have seen him play in at least two years.

When I saw Bogle at Notts in pre season I thought he was a star. I still do.

Keogh and Tomori just doesn’t look right. They both did some good things, yet I was expecting a calamity at any moment. Think I’d feel better with Davies and Wisdom.

Mount is good, but he’s no Will Hughes.

Bryson is Marmite this season clearly. I thought he did really well. Others clearly disagree.

Evans looked really promising in that excellent first 10 mins. It looked like ACL though, it really did. Gutted for him.

Marriott is going to score a lot of goals for us. I really like the look of him.

It wasn’t great, but it’s a work in progress.

I suggested a while back that Frank is used to playing at clubs with big squads and regular rotation of players. I think we need to get used to it. 

Sith Happens
Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The over dramatic posts drive me mad, I am often in tears hunched over a tub of ice cream just thinking about it.

I agree. I do think however we need to answer one question...

What flavour ice cream?

43 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Not a game that will live long in the memory, but a comfortable win against a team who’s main aim was to turn up and be hard to beat.

Dont think I’ve ever seen a set of fans (not everyone of course!) that are so miserable about comfortably winning a game though.

This.

Composure will come with Davies back, Huddlestone too ignoring the rumours, starting threading the ball around more effectively.

Jozefzoon looks bright, Direct and makes purposeful runs, exactly what was lacking first half. Much as I want Bennett to thrive, they should be reversed Saturday. Can Nuge do 3 games in a week regardless of contribution, big ask, so maybe change for Waghorn or Marriott. Got to leave Ledley in, no real alternative as Thorne seems out the frame.

Did what they had to tonight, 3 points, clean sheet and build confidence. Roll on Saturday, let’s go again and keep improving.

Archived