v Ipswich Town (H) Match Thread

Derby blood

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Shut up you tart, he’s poo

He pointed out, correctly, that he was out injured for two seasons. Before which he was one of the best in the league, in any way you measure it.

Out of interest, have you afforded Thorne time to adjust after returning from injury?

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

Okay 

Too slow, can’t pass, can’t head, makes mistakes, can’t cross (1 decent ball a season doesn’t count) can’t attack, can’t defend and he can’t play in goal so he shouldn’t be at this level

8 minutes ago, Duracell said:

He pointed out, correctly, that he was out injured for two seasons. Before which he was one of the best in the league, in any way you measure it.

Out of interest, have you afforded Thorne time to adjust after returning from injury?

Don’t have time 

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not sure I agree with many about Tomori again. Thought he was suspect. He’s a brilliant footballer, but he’s so naive defensively. Relies on his pace to get him out of bad situations. 

Thought Keogh was very good last night

Amazing how opinions differ. When played out from the back all Keogh played was a sideways pass to Tomori, at least when Tomori had the ball he tried to create something going forward. 

As an aside ..I think Franks interview performance was great.

None of the “royal we”cliches or refusing to single out names for praise 

You could see so easily that he was genuinely excited for Bogle 

Usually I only listen to post match on radio Derby in the car because it’s available -  I almost never watch interviews after the event as they are so dull, full of platitudes and blah blah but Frank has something to say and actually answers the presenter.

its interesting to be in the building with him ! 

And this youth thing ... how much money has been added to the market value of Lowe, Bennett and Bogle in the last 10 weeks ? 

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Come onnnn it was 2 teams with new managers feeling their ways into the new season. I fear you’ve not seen much league 2 football if you’re comparing last night to it ha

I have seen plenty of football across the League's thanks...if you were satisfied with that, a home performance where we created next to nothing and seemed satisfied to play tappy tappy football for long periods just outside our penalty area and had no grip of the midfield which we seem to by pass then fine...you were watching a different game than me....

11 minutes ago, jono said:

As an aside ..I think Franks interview performance was great.

None of the “royal we”cliches or refusing to single out names for praise 

You could see so easily that he was genuinely excited for Bogle 

Usually I only listen to post match on radio Derby in the car because it’s available -  I almost never watch interviews after the event as they are so dull, full of platitudes and blah blah but Frank has something to say and actually answers the presenter.

its interesting to be in the building with him ! 

And this youth thing ... how much money has been added to the market value of Lowe, Bennett and Bogle in the last 10 weeks ? 

I was surprised he managed to get the word 'brilliant' in the summary.....

33 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Too slow, can’t pass, can’t head, makes mistakes, can’t cross (1 decent ball a season doesn’t count) can’t attack, can’t defend and he can’t play in goal so he shouldn’t be at this level

What did you think to him last night then?

14 hours ago, MoleyMcMolerson said:

Just to add, he's been absolutely exceptional so far. 

We've been pretty poor but I think all of our fans are falling in love with him. Movement is absolutely phenomenal, looks a proper goalscorer.

Holeymoley ....what a player. ?

14 hours ago, MoleyMcMolerson said:

Up top. His work rate is astonishing, his movement is premier league quality, and he's probably one of the best players we've acquired at this level since we've come back up.

Got to say, £2m was a bit of a steal for a player so obviously talented.

Don't worry. We'll buy him back off you next summer for £8. Then put him on the wing again. 

52 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I have seen plenty of football across the League's thanks...if you were satisfied with that, a home performance where we created next to nothing and seemed satisfied to play tappy tappy football for long periods just outside our penalty area and had no grip of the midfield which we seem to by pass then fine...you were watching a different game than me....

It’s about perspective. If that’s presented to us after Christmas then yeah I’ll be annoyed and it won’t be good enough but we’re less than 3 weeks into his competitive debut as a manager. Patience.

I think the problem is the massive squad we have. We are playing in the championship and not the premiership. We have facilities for the players most other teams in the championship can only dream of and yet we are struggling for a holding midfielder.The midfield is mostly a mess and the strikers are not looking that prolific. We have a management team (although still learning) that is the envy of most other clubs, surely we should be head and shoulders above the rest. The fact we have made an indifferent start to the season after a very good pre season has brought people back down to earth with a bump. For the record i thought we played reasonably well yesterday in patches and it was good to see fozzy back to his best.

37 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

It’s about perspective. If that’s presented to us after Christmas then yeah I’ll be annoyed and it won’t be good enough but we’re less than 3 weeks into his competitive debut as a manager. Patience.

I am quite happy to give Frank plenty of time. Sacking Manager after Manager gets you nowhere. He has my total support. If this season becomes a 'work in progress' and we finish mid table fine. I am just commenting on what I saw last night and it was very poor in virtually every respect other than the result.....and slightly worrying to be honest.....

27 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am quite happy to give Frank plenty of time. Sacking Manager after Manager gets you nowhere. He has my total support. If this season becomes a 'work in progress' and we finish mid table fine. I am just commenting on what I saw last night and it was very poor in virtually every respect other than the result.....and slightly worrying to be honest.....

No it wasn’t. It was a patient performance which sadly wasn’t the case for the fans.

2 hours ago, JW37 said:

For a monent there I thought you were describing Bryson! The “ sacred cow” of the team who runs around like a headless chicken and is forgiven by many for nostalgic reasons. I get his “passion” and his “work rate” and  the “ he’s a Ram” defences put forward but when you watch him closely he isn’t effective,despite his willingness and we desperately need a younger version of him.For me,and I appreciate his past efforts,his race is run.

16 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

No it wasn’t. It was a patient performance which sadly wasn’t the case for the fans.

Oh, that's what you call it....ok, it was a 'patient' performance......do you think that 'patient' performance is going to encourage fans to come and see other 'patient' performances??? I personally would like to see slightly more than 2 shots on target and making the opposition goalkeeper work slightly harder than was the case last night, especially at home......

13 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

For a monent there I thought you were describing Bryson! The “ sacred cow” of the team who runs around like a headless chicken and is forgiven by many for nostalgic reasons. I get his “passion” and his “work rate” and  the “ he’s a Ram” defences put forward but when you watch him closely he isn’t effective,despite his willingness and we desperately need a younger version of him.For me,and I appreciate his past efforts,his race is run.

We have never played well because of Bryson - but when we’ve played well, he’s been one of our best players.

He’s a runner, as you mention - but he needs something to run on to. He’s an accurate if unspectacular passer of the ball. A competent dribbler but nothing special. But he has eye for goal and fearsome shot.

In a team that’s purring, he’s a valuable asset: mopping up second balls, playing in strikers, linking up, even running past the centre forward. We sadly haven’t been able to see any of that yet, which has made him look ineffective - because he has been ineffective. Bryson has never been one to adapt and take games by the scruff of the neck - he just isn’t that sort of big personality midfielder.

I think the biggest argument for keeping him in the side is to help him and the team learn about each other, because if things click, he will worth having in the side. I personally don’t think this can happen without the tactics changing slightly. Mount is currently firmly camped in the opposition half, occupying the space where Bryson is most useful. Bryson has therefore had to make a home for himself in a deeper position. Rather than quick interchanges with the forwards, he’s doing quick interchanges under no pressure with the centre halves. It’s accurate but totally harmless. 

It’s not do to with age for me, you can play a player very similar to him who’s five years younger and you’d get the same results at present. I don’t think Mount and Bryson work together without a big lynchpin CDM, because even if Mount did drop deeper, at least one of the two of them would always be having to do some of the roles of a traditional holding midfielder, stifling their ability to come to life in the final and most effective third.

It’s a work in progress. Let’s not write anybody out of it yet. There’s a lot to learn.

Archived