v Ipswich Town (H) Match Thread

Derby blood

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Forsyth was fine defensively but I wouldn’t say he was that great to the extent that he was Motm like some are stating. His passing was very sloppy like last season and he gave the ball away a number of times. Him and Lawrence don’t appear to be on the same wavelength. I still prefer Malone as the starter and then Lowe/Forsyth competing for a back up spot. Tomori and Bogle were better IMO.

Carson’s passing was better today. That’s what I like to see, players working on their weaknesses and then seeing improvements. Good to see as it shows he’s been working hard in training with Given.

Thankfully you're not the manager, Forsyth played well tonight and will get better if he stays fit and as for his partnership with Lawrence, these things take time.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually happy with tonight. Glimpses of what attacking football we can expect - who can seriously expect us to be the finished article yet?

Give me that over Rowett’s football any day of the week.

It annoys me how restless our fans get when we haven’t scored 5 goals by half time - Ipswich put 11 men behind the ball and we aren’t Man City so it’s always going to take time to wear them down, it will definitely be the case at most home games this season against the lesser teams.

I thought Forsyth was MoM, he was solid defensively and his passing/through balls were great.

I don’t particularly think anyone else was particularly stand out (Bogle probably next best) but nobody was poor.

I liked the look of Jozo and Marriott when they came on, both are like lightening and will put the fear of god in to defenders.

I’m feeling positive and that’s 3 points we didn’t get last season! 

Not sure what people expected really. I’ve sat through many a MAC 1 game just like that where the opposition sits 11 men behind the ball all game.

cant say anyone had a bad game really, they just haven’t got the understanding yet of their team mates. It will come with less chopping  and changing and we have a more settled side.

a great 3 points and a clean sheet with the opposition never, ever, not once looked like scoring.

Cheer up you miserable sods!

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Anything but vanilla. Vanilla ice cream is boring, like the colour beige or a football team managed by Gary Rowett.

I hear you. Partial to hagen daaz strawberry cheesecake myself. A must to get you through these depressing times.

Not great but solid enough and never in doubt, can absolutely see what Lampard is trying to do. It’s not about this season it’s about building sustainable success for the future. Rowett - short term probably would get us more points, but not sustainable. Don’t know what people were expecting. The team are learning and so is Lampard. It’s not going to click for a while yet.

Positives - Fozzy! Wow, I know it’s only Ipswich and he will get more tests defensively but that’s the best I’ve seen him play for 3 years! Hopefully he’s finally got over his knee injury and can get back to being one of the best in the league which he was pre-injuries.

Bogle - what a mature performance from the young man. Can do more going forward, he has the ability just needs to believe it.

Bennett - Great first half, struggled second 

Jozefzoon - Has to start Saturday. Great impact when he came on

Negatives

Evans injury - really like what I saw hope he’s not out too long 

The disproportionate criticism of Richard Keogh. He made one error on the half way line and got a yellow card - no harm done and failed to control a ball and it went out of play. Defended solidly apart from that, bailed out Tomori on numerous occasions yet he makes one mistake and he’s jumped on more than any other player. Completely unjust.

Tomori - was a liability tonight, but we should probably persevere as he is a major talent just needs time to learn the game. He will go far.

Nugent - worked hard but lacking for me. Waghorn or Marriott should be back in Saturday 

A final negative was Bryson. But i’ll Balance that with a positive - Bryson has always needed a run of 6-8 games in the team before he starts to show his best form. Has always been this way since he joined us so don’t write him off yet.

15 minutes ago, cosmic said:

TBF, if you’re a season ticket holder then you’ve already spent your hard earned money. So you may as well give your arse a wipe and go support the team every week.

supported the team longer than youve known how to wipe an arse,  little boy

will always do so but one day you will be mature enough to know that you have a choice - woukd  you rather subject yourself to underperforming, over complicating, hugely overpaid uncommitted individals.

Or might you just prefer taking your granddaughter to the park for a couple of hours on a saturday afternoon ? 

The choice is puerly personal . But i know which i would currently prefer. 

20 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Does show how we all see different things i thought bryson played well today. Ah well.  Nay mind.

Covered a lot of ground, got in the way of their attacks, was available for the ball but often with no-one to pass to. Kept closing down. Definitely a good game considering how we played.

7 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

A few random thoughts:

How did Forsyth not get MOM? Best I have seen him play in at least two years.

When I saw Bogle at Notts in pre season I thought he was a star. I still do.

Keogh and Tomori just doesn’t look right. They both did some good things, yet I was expecting a calamity at any moment. Think I’d feel better with Davies and Wisdom.

Mount is good, but he’s no Will Hughes.

Bryson is Marmite this season clearly. I thought he did really well. Others clearly disagree.

Evans looked really promising in that excellent first 10 mins. It looked like ACL though, it really did. Gutted for him.

Marriott is going to score a lot of goals for us. I really like the look of him.

It wasn’t great, but it’s a work in progress.

I suggested a while back that Frank is used to playing at clubs with big squads and regular rotation of players. I think we need to get used to it. 

Agree with everything here, good to know I’m not alone although I’d like to see Tomori with Davies...I think Keogh tries to do too much when with Tomori/Bogle either side of him - almost like he doesn’t trust them.

4 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Thankfully you're not the manager, Forsyth played well tonight and will get better if he stays fit and as for his partnership with Lawrence, these things take time.

Fozzy’s fine as a back up at left back and centre back. His final ball and passing isn’t on the same level as Malone’s and leaves a lot to be desired but he was better defensively than he has been recently.

If Davies, Martin and Thorne were fully fit and firing, I think this team would instantly look a lot better.

Sadly I don't see Tomori and Waghorn reaching the same levels and Evans looks to have picked up the injury curse.

It's a shame that Lowe has been bombed out in favour of either Forsyth or Malone, but in a back four, you need the right blend of youth and experience and even though we could go with Bogle and Lowe as first choice full backs, it'd probably be suicidal from a defensive point of view.

Even though we won tonight, I don't think Frank's tinkering is over, and I think it won't be until October when we see a settled team playing in Frank's image.

But certainly I think Ledley and Nugent are stop gaps and nothing more. But it's worrying that they have been keeping Frank's own signings out of the side.

1 minute ago, thederbyram said:

Completely agree with your post. But this bit was funny. If you go through this match thread you'll see the point where he came on for Evans. He bombed forward to the Ipswich box in that first half and us on here were infuriated! Very glad that he stuck to that deep role in the 2nd half and hopefully Frank will be reminding him that he's not to go into the opposition's third in future...unless we have a corner of course!

Ha, sorry I meant second half for Ledley. I feel he got a kicking in recent games which was a little unfair overall, thought in the second half he deserved some credit for how he played 

Just now, McLovin said:

Fozzy’s fine as a back up at left back and centre back. His final ball and passing isn’t on the same level as Malone’s and leaves a lot to be desired but he was better defensively than he has been recently.

What have you seen Malone do that impresses you so much?

40 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Another goal for Lawrence which is only going to help his confidence not his best game like slot of others tonight, but he is the one most likely to create something and get us a goal at present.

Helped when Flo came on too and we had another player to cause the full backs a problem of on the opposite flank.Saw once again tonight Bennet is better of the bench against tiring defenders either Flo or Wilson to start Saturday.

I think Lawrence has been amazing this season - amazing because he has 3 goals whilst losing possession with nearly every touch 

Just now, ossieram said:

Saw enough of him in the cup game and his spell at Fulham. He was in the championship team of the year last year. I’m not convinced that Forsyth should be our main starting left back but he’s fine to fill in from time to time. Forsyth could definitely be an option if we switch to a back 3 again as a left centre back and then Malone as the left wing back.

Carson's distribution was a hell of a lot better tonight . 

Bogle is a future star , looks an upgrade on Wisdom already . 

Keogh ? Really not sure what's happened to him as of late , he's a good footballer it must be a mental issue.

Tomori will look better when Davies is at the side of him 

Forsyth is a player I have been highly critical of in the past , shut me up tonight .

Evans looked ok , hope it's not a bad injury 

Bryson worked hard and grew into the game

Mount probably not his best night but the lads class 

Lawrence one touch to many at times but he's our star man now isn't he 

Bennett thought he drifted in and out of the game but when he was good he was good

Nugent I prefer as an impact player and non starter 

Ledley was a lot better than he was against Leeds took his goal well

Jozefzoon looks dynamic think he will be a big player this season

Marriott I'm looking forward to seeing more of 

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, ossieram said:

He just gets excited by the name cause he has a thing for tina maloneTina-Malone-size-6-feat.thumb.jpg.92fdabd42a08b83a1a3757cee5951f5a.jpg

48 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Rampage's full match report. 

2-0 win against Ipswich. Rocking horse performance.

Two good goals in a sea of mediocrity. 

Come back Davies and slightly save the day, please. 

6 points out of 12 having played Leeds! 

4 points adrift, could be a lot worse after these performances.

I am personally clueless as to how to turn it around. 

Newsflash - Weimann has 4 goals!!!! 

Just to add, he's been absolutely exceptional so far. 

We've been pretty poor but I think all of our fans are falling in love with him. Movement is absolutely phenomenal, looks a proper goalscorer.

1 minute ago, MoleyMcMolerson said:

We've been pretty poor but I think all of our fans are falling in love with him. Movement is absolutely phenomenal, looks a proper goalscorer.

Who would have thought of playing him in his actual position ? Strange ! ?

2 minutes ago, MoleyMcMolerson said:

Where's he playing? Up top or out wide?

Archived