v Ipswich Town (H) Match Thread

Derby blood

3 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Why does Nugent seem to get a massive round of applause whenever he is subbed off?

6E381282-D36D-4427-A391-0B0EC328675E.gif

I’ve got this one! 

The reason he was applauded off the pitch is the fans were offering support to one of our players, he may not always have the best of games but always tries to put a shift in.  

?

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David said:

The reason he was applauded off the pitch is the fans were offering support to one of our players

?

original.gif

This is how I saw it, for what it's worth:

Carson - 6 - he didn't have much to do, but was steady enough in the way he went about things. 

Bogle - 7 - he fits the system a lot better than Wisdom, although I feel the latter is still a better player. He's a great prospect & will most certainly grow with game time. He didn't & hasn't really been challenged defensively, mind. 

Tomori - 6 - he's a young defender, which you can see from a mile off. He's got the pace & power to cover his shortcomings. He's a tidy footballer to boot. 

Keogh - 7 - he had one moment where he had to take a yellow card, but other than that he was excellent. He kept the ball ticking around well & won his aerial battles. Good performance. 

Forsyth - 8 - he's taking his chance excellently. Another performance in the same vein as his cameo against Millwall. He's making it difficult for Malone & Lowe. 

Evans - 7 - I was a big advocate in getting a natural DM in the team to create a much better structure, which he simply did. We looked a much better team for it. We tailed off when he went off, but Ledley was a lot better in his positioning too. 

Mount - 5 - he's going to have games where he's not quite on it. He wasn't at the races on Saturday, nor so tonight. It just means that he'll have a outstanding performance against Preston.

Bryson - 5 - again, he ran a bit, gave options but not his night. I think it restricted him with Evans coming off, as the balanced looked good up until that point. 

Lawrence - 6 - another goal from another free kick. He didn't seem to be in the game too much, though. He had a lot of touches, but didn't really try to challenge his man. 

Bennett - 5 - he started strongly showing his energy & strength, but slowly faded until it was obvious he needed to be subbed. No doubt he could be an excellent impact player for us over the course of the season. He just rattles defenders.

Nugent - 5 - he had half the touches that Scott Carson did. Now, I know that's not necessarily his fault, but for all our possession he should have shown himself as an option a lot more. He deserved his start after the impact on Saturday, but he doesn't deserve to start the next game. 

----

Ledley - 7 - good goal & his positioning was a lot better than in previous games. He did well.  

Jozefzoon - 7 - he was definitely a bright spark when he came on. He's very good in a footballing side. He should start the next game IMO.

Marriott - 5 - he struggled to impose himself in the game, but that's not uncommon as a striker coming on for the tail end of the game.  

---

Lampard - he'll know there's still plenty to work on, but that performance showed a lot of promise. If we had made better decisions in attacking areas & showed a bit more energy then we would have put in a performance that we're aiming for. Ipswich had next to no chances. We need to step it up against Preston, but the same result would be nice. I'd imagine he will start with: Carson; Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth; Ledley, Bryson, Mount; Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Waghorn. 

Think Ramage summed it up perfectly last night, was listening to him on the way home from the game, he pointed out that are moving in the right direction but it may take 10/15 games to get it how Lampard wants it and he said it’s all about just getting as many points as possible whilst we are leaning to get this style perfected! 

Theme of this match = confidence/belief.

Decent first 10 minutes, then we lost our momentum and then Evans. Hope its nothing serious, as he was starting to grow into it and looked like he could be that calming option.

It seemed to me that we were a bit fearful, more concerned with keeping it safe and not making a mistake which could lead to a goal. Combine that with a lack of options, and that results in the rest of that turgid first half, and the fan feedback.

As soon as Ledley's goal went in, we freed up a bit, weren't so scared of conceding the first goal. Mount and Lawrence started to get more involved. We flowed a bit better, moved the ball faster. even more so after Lawrence's free kick, and the introductions of FloJo and Marriott.

Bogle looking a better prospect than Lowe, and to me, that looked like a better balance in the back four. Foz did well too. Crying out for a ball playing midfielder to better link the forwards and the defence. Mount and Lawrence need to spend less time on each others' toes. Not quite seeing what Lampard sees in Bryson. Nugent busy, but fairly ineffective, save for a curling shot that needed more curl. Bennett bright.

2 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Carson - nothing to do, distribution fairly good

Bogle - got better as we went on I thought, got caught out a few times, but basically did well

Keogh - thought he had a fairly good game, although maybe I was in some sort of parallel universe because some of the abuse he was getting from the South Stand was disgusting. On one occasion there was a woman screaming at him to sort himself out when Mount had just lost the ball.

Tomori - has all the talent, needs to learn about positioning and when to go and when to hold. Comes with age. He will make mistakes, we need to be patient. Can Rams fans do that?

Forsyth - I was chuffed for him, he was my MOTM, dominated the left side, so pleased to see him back, fit and confident.

Evans - can't be a coincidence the first half tailed off when he went off. Very promising, hope he's okay. Fear he isn't.

Bryson - frustrating. Yes he runs, great. But his accuracy in passing and control really let him down tonight.

Mount - definitely an off night. Clearly a talent but nothing seemed to happen for him.

Bennett - he's turned into an absolute unit now! Lots of endeavour, no end product.

Nugent - love the guy but should he really be our starter? Not for me

Lawrence - not sure how he won MOTM, I thought he was dreadful first half, did better in the second when he got stuck in.

Ledley - much improved performance

Marriott - very willing but barely touched the ball

Josefzoon - exciting, needs a start.

Fans - ruined the evening for me. It's going to be a long bloody season if our so called supporters can't handle our players being in possession. The number of times people were getting on their backs screaming at them to go forward or attack when there were no options was embarassing. It panicks the defenders into getting rid and making poor decisions, and then the same morons in the stands get on their backs for losing the ball! We. Are. In. Transition. We have to be patient, support the players and understand what we're trying to do. Really irritated me, and Lampard judging by his post match comments.

Lastly, I'm not convinced by Mount and Bryson in a midfield three. They need to learn that when one goes forward, the other stays put. Mount was playing like a number 10 last night and in my view that's why the midfield often looks so exposed. I'm not sure he has the discipline to play in midfield. If Lampard wants Mount that far forward, then we need somebody a bit more defensive instead of Bryson, whether that is Thorne, Huddlestone or Johnson. Mount also needs to learn where he is supposed to be. Him and Lawrence were getting in each other's way a lot, standing in the middle when Forsyth needed someone in front of him.

It's not far off, but tweaks and game time still needed. 

Wow what a great post. Exactly how I saw it. Glad to see someone else has some semblance of sense 

very accurate assessment of the match last night

12 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Theme of this match = confidence/belief.

Decent first 10 minutes, then we lost our momentum and then Evans. Hope its nothing serious, as he was starting to grow into it and looked like he could be that calming option.

It seemed to me that we were a bit fearful, more concerned with keeping it safe and not making a mistake which could lead to a goal. Combine that with a lack of options, and that results in the rest of that turgid first half, and the fan feedback.

As soon as Ledley's goal went in, we freed up a bit, weren't so scared of conceding the first goal. Mount and Lawrence started to get more involved. We flowed a bit better, moved the ball faster. even more so after Lawrence's free kick, and the introductions of FloJo and Marriott.

Bogle looking a better prospect than Lowe, and to me, that looked like a better balance in the back four. Foz did well too. Crying out for a ball playing midfielder to better link the forwards and the defence. Mount and Lawrence need to spend less time on each others' toes. Not quite seeing what Lampard sees in Bryson. Nugent busy, but fairly ineffective, save for a curling shot that needed more curl. Bennett bright.

Good post mate. The only thing I’d add is that they sat 11 men behind the ball which made it hard to find space. Once that goal went in they had to come out more which lead to there being more space for our midfield and forwards.

think we will see this a lot this season and the moaning fans need to realise this and calm down. They aren’t helping!!

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

This is how I saw it, for what it's worth:

Carson - 6 - he didn't have much to do, but was steady enough in the way he went about things. 

Bogle - 7 - he fits the system a lot better than Wisdom, although I feel the latter is still a better player. He's a great prospect & will most certainly grow with game time. He didn't & hasn't really been challenged defensively, mind. 

Tomori - 6 - he's a young defender, which you can see from a mile off. He's got the pace & power to cover his shortcomings. He's a tidy footballer to boot. 

Keogh - 7 - he had one moment where he had to take a yellow card, but other than that he was excellent. He kept the ball ticking around well & won his aerial battles. Good performance. 

Forsyth - 8 - he's taking his chance excellently. Another performance in the same vein as his cameo against Millwall. He's making it difficult for Malone & Lowe. 

Evans - 7 - I was a big advocate in getting a natural DM in the team to create a much better structure, which he simply did. We looked a much better team for it. We tailed off when he went off, but Ledley was a lot better in his positioning too. 

Mount - 5 - he's going to have games where he's not quite on it. He wasn't at the races on Saturday, nor so tonight. It just means that he'll have a outstanding performance against Preston.

Bryson - 5 - again, he ran a bit, gave options but not his night. I think it restricted him with Evans coming off, as the balanced looked good up until that point. 

Lawrence - 6 - another goal from another free kick. He didn't seem to be in the game too much, though. He had a lot of touches, but didn't really try to challenge his man. 

Bennett - 5 - he started strongly showing his energy & strength, but slowly faded until it was obvious he needed to be subbed. No doubt he could be an excellent impact player for us over the course of the season. He just rattles defenders.

Nugent - 5 - he had half the touches that Scott Carson did. Now, I know that's not necessarily his fault, but for all our possession he should have shown himself as an option a lot more. He deserved his start after the impact on Saturday, but he doesn't deserve to start the next game. 

----

Ledley - 7 - good goal & his positioning was a lot better than in previous games. He did well.  

Jozefzoon - 7 - he was definitely a bright spark when he came on. He's very good in a footballing side. He should start the next game IMO.

Marriott - 5 - he struggled to impose himself in the game, but that's not uncommon as a striker coming on for the tail end of the game.  

---

Lampard - he'll know there's still plenty to work on, but that performance showed a lot of promise. If we had made better decisions in attacking areas & showed a bit more energy then we would have put in a performance that we're aiming for. Ipswich had next to no chances. We need to step it up against Preston, but the same result would be nice. I'd imagine he will start with: Carson; Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth; Ledley, Bryson, Mount; Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Waghorn. 

Good assessment. I would drop Keogh a point as he made several really silly errors but got away with it. Nugent ran all night, marked all night and poor service, but he kept his head up (are you watching CM)-6

In a sense a bit worrying that almost everyone rated our full backs as best players.

Definitely some good signs here despite what was, let's face it, a poor first half. I'm liking the style we're trying to play (No hoof ball) but was pleased Lamps acknowledged the couple of good long balls Tomori played to show he's at least said if it's on, take it. 

We need to stay calm. This is such a different Derby to any I've seen for a while, it's going to take at least a couple of months more to bed in but when it does, and I'm confident it will, we will really be an exciting team fighting at the top. 

Fingers crossed Evans is ok as he looks solid. Nuge, love him,  looks past his best sadly, as does Bryson. Bogle and Tomori look stars in the making. FloJo similarly. Fozzy playing well, even Keogh was solid despite his usual "get tangled with the ball, get a yellow to get out of it" moment. Mount was quiet but is clearly a class act. Marriott needs time. Big step up for him but you can see glimpses of what he's about and I think he'll come good. Just needs that first goal. 

All in all I'm remaining confident ?

Good comfortable win... in the end. 

At 0-0 I did think we were going to lose it 1-0 to a filthy set piece but were able to stay focused ride the wave of the usual growns from fans got the goals at crucial times to kill Ipswich off. I know the tempo needs to improve, but the moaning and groaning is pathetic from a minority. Do they not get the concept of keeping the ball? Especially when a team sets up with a bank of 5 in midfield no matter how good you are its a tough nut top break down. I use the example of England in their World Cup qualifiers of years gone by against minor nations. No matter how good you are, if you have a team who's main objective is to set up behind the halfway-line and stop you playing it isn't easy and PATIENCE is needed. Fans need patience! 

First 10/15 minutes was really bright and we looked so much more balanced with a CDM in there who knows what the role entails. Was gutted Evans had to go off and hope its not lengthy although feel it will be... Ledley came on and made amends for a poor showing against Leeds. Much better on the ball and screened the back four better. Good goal albeit with a big deflection. 

Defence looked solid.  Fozzy had a great game. Tomori and Keogh still worries me as a partnership. Tomori at times reminds me of Michael Keane when he came to Derby thinking he's above the level he's playing so it actually effects his game negatively. Bogle was solid and dealt with Grant Ward who can be tricky. 

Mount wasn't as effective, but he always wants the ball and never stops running to try and receive it when things aren't coming off. I want more from Bryson. He runs a lot and provides energy but needs to be chanelled into the right areas. 

Bennett started bright and was direct at every opportunity in the second half. Really glad he's been given a chance and is a beast once he gets going. Think he deserves another start on Saturday, but is ideal to be a change on 60 minutes from the bench if the first choice wingers (Wilson, Lawrence and FloJo) arent at it. 

Nugent did his usual job. Always busy and great to have in the squad but showed whyt again he is best suited to coming off the bench and doing what he did at Millwall for us. Love the guy and want him in the squad, just think Waghorn and Marriott should be the starters.

Great to have that Ipswich monkey off our backs in terms of their record at Pride Park. Fantastic platform for the game on Saturday to go and get another 3 points. 

Hope for a higher attendance as well. I thought the atmosphere after we scored was decent! 

Well done lads! 

3 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I don't think the fans are in his back though ! I for one give him more time and allow him more mistakes because it's Keogh and he's a modern day club legend . I don't want him banished from the team and stoneing in the town square . I simply think he needs a match or so out of the team and sort his head. 

I don't think a match here or there will sort anything. Also not sure why there is anything wrong with his head. He seems to deal with the pressure well. He covered for Tomori on a couple of occasions last night. He got caught in possession and booked once. It happens. Sitting in the stands doesn't help that. It says you're fragile and not good enough so we'll protect you. He doesn't need protecting in my opinion. He is what he is. If you don't moan and give him time then you're in the minority in the stadium last night. 

15 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Great to have that Ipswich monkey off our backs in terms of their record at Pride Park.

You only have problems with these sort of stats if

a) You even know they exist

b) You believe that games 10 years ago have the slightest bearing on todays team performance.

c) You always wear the same underpants you wore when we won the Cup

19 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not sure I agree with many about Tomori again. Thought he was suspect. He’s a brilliant footballer, but he’s so naive defensively. Relies on his pace to get him out of bad situations. 

Thought Keogh was very good last night

Kept saying last night he would be much better suited to the full back position. He's ability to dribble and pass combined with some good pace means he'd be ideal to bomb down the wing. 

Problem with his style in the middle is there's no one behind him, when he makes a mistake there's nobody there to pick up the second ball. Then again both full backs are playing well, so you couldn't justify dropping them. 

30 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not sure I agree with many about Tomori again. Thought he was suspect. He’s a brilliant footballer, but he’s so naive defensively. Relies on his pace to get him out of bad situations. 

More than made up for it with that cross field pass. Sheer quality. 

Archived