Random stuff that cheers me up thread

Stive Pesley

On 21/10/2019 at 12:57, SchtivePesley said:

I've just never understood te mentality of why someone would just not turn up to a Doctor's appointment without cancelling

Well, to contact my surgery by phone took 25 minutes, 32 your call can't be completed messages, then number 10 in the queue. If I was trying to cancel rather than in pain, I would have given up after the first 5 goes.

49 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Just need to ban zero-hours contracts now and the jobs a good 'un.

I think there are zero hour contracts and zero hour contracts.

put yourself on someone’s books Because you want a bit of extra if they offer you work at a price and duration you are happy to do; but no promises either way  then I don’t see a problem. If on the other hand you get get locked in to something without a promise of payment or benefit but with certain obligations then there is a big problem. 

I don’t think anyone has defined a “zero hours contract” clearly. I’d just say fair or not fair. ...but maybe I am just simple minded ? 

4 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Well, to contact my surgery by phone took 25 minutes, 32 your call can't be completed messages, then number 10 in the queue. If I was trying to cancel rather than in pain, I would have given up after the first 5 goes.

Actually that's a very good point. Making an appt with my doctor (and I suspect most people's) is the same

Either book an advance appt online for 3 weeks time, or it's "ring at 8am and wait in the queue" 

I've never had to cancel one so I never thought of that, but yeah agreed

3 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Just need to ban zero-hours contracts now and the jobs a good 'un.

I thought the same but there was a good debate on Question time last night about zero contract hours.

It suits some people, some audience members spoke favourably, especially the flexibility element of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Helping my younger one with her homework, there was a question about how long it takes a kettle to boil - 5 seconds, 5 minutes or 50 minutes. I put the kettle on to find the answer and in the 5 minutes it took to boil, we finished the homework. As we did so, the kettle klicked off. 'Now,' she said, 'I will make you a cup of tea.' Such a delight.

On 09/11/2019 at 11:40, Paul71 said:

"...the now 101-year-old has been to almost every home match since the end of the Second World War.

Speaking when celebrating his 100th birthday in 2017, he said: “There is no secret to old age just luck and kindness.

"If you are kind and nice to people, most people will be nice back to you and that’s how I live my life.”