Norwich City (H) Matchday thread

jono

2 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Shockingly bad decisions- almost had the air of blatant bias about them…

But overall it was a sloppy performance from us , with several key players well off it…

Now comes the crunch time cos we can’t lose three on the trot and be confident of a good season (staying up ?). We need to start picking some points up on the road …. ‘Doing ok’ or being ‘competitive’ isn’t enough. It’s all about points.

All teams have bad days so we just have to take today’s game as it is….. despite the atrocious decisions.

FFS, that’s why they used to call them LINESMEN… their main job was to make sure the ball doesn’t go out of play…..

Isn't that exactly what they did?

2 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

But overall it was a sloppy performance from us , with several key players well off it…

Now comes the crunch time cos we can’t lose three on the trot and be confident of a good season (staying up ?). We need to start picking some points up on the road …. ‘Doing ok’ or being ‘competitive’ isn’t enough. It’s all about points.

All teams have bad days so we just have to take today’s game as it is….. despite the atrocious decisions.

FFS, that’s why they used to call them LINESMEN… their main job was to make sure the ball doesn’t go out of play…..

Doing ok is just fine for me this season. I am not expecting a promotion challenge, nor should anyone be.

8 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

We have but zero points to show for it we do need to pick something up Tues as today proves we won’t win every week at home.

Oh sure, especially as five of the next seven matches are away. I was just responding to the comment that said we hadn’t been competitive in away games so far this season.

16 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Obviously I want us to win (or at least pick up a point) but you might need to brace yourself for three defeats on the trot. Sunderland will be clear favourites on Tuesday but, if we should lose, it doesn't mean out confidence in staying up should be over necessarily.

Should we lose against Sunderland then the real test will be next Saturday. A fourth defeat in a row (against a much less fancied QPR rather than a high performing Sunderland team) would be much more damaging.

Edited by Tamworthram

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Obviously I want us to win (or at least pick up a point) but you might need to brace yourself for three defeats on the trot. Sunderland will be clear favourites on Tuesday but, if we should lose, it doesn't mean out confidence in staying up should be over necessarily.

I expect us to lose at Sunderland, and there will be no shame in that. The away games coming up after that (Millwall, Oxford, Stoke, Coventry, Preston) are where we will need to start picking up some points.

Leaving the ref/lino decisions out of it that was a good game of football by two teams who wanted to play. It should have been a pulsating 1-1 or 2-2 draw. But it wasn’t !

Ref spotted 1 blatant dive and ignored it, well done him, but that was the highlight of his performance. Yes I’ve got Ram goggles on but the foul play and yellow card distribution was way off. As to the linesman .. thanks for nothing. 

We didn’t do ourselves any favours with bad passes .. just too many if we are going to thrive.
The positive has to be that we kept going, showed creativity and played a lot of ball on the floor. Cash and Kenzo doing their thing makes it worth the ticket. Glad for CBT, great for his confidence, NML got a bit sloppy, very happy for Fozzy, what a stalwart. Ebou ? what a warrior. 

If I could change anything ? It would be Cash scoring from that blaster that the hit the bar, would have blown the roof off. 

Right then, wash the mud off let’s go cat hunting on Tuesday. 

Obviously a shocking day for the officials. The opening goal reminded me of the Lampard goal against Germany in the World Cup that wasn't given, and was so obvious and wrong it led directly to the introduction of goal line technology. But surely goal line tech should also have been used here. The ref should have taken his time and gone to speak with the lino, during which time the fourth official should have had a quiet word to say the ball was miles out of play, and the right decision quietly made.

At halftime it was apparent the officials "owed" us a goal. When Jackson went down in the box, yes it was a bit soft but it was also a clear foul that would be given elsewhere on the pitch. Very poor officiating again not to point to the spot. And not to give the corner before their third goal! WTAF again?

Well done to the players for keeping going all the way to the end. A great press at times, inspired by the crowd. Thrilled for Blackett-Taylor to get his goal and thrilled for Fozzy with his. Cashin was immense - if only his shot or header had gone in. Adams incredible. What a miss from Jackson at the start. He could have controlled it and picked his spot.

But make no mistake, this result makes it very tough for us given the coming games. The lads have to keep believing and bounce back. But the pleasing thing so far this season is the quality of our play is sometimes a delight. Let's keep going and keep the faith.

Thought we were under par today (some notable exceptions, particularly Cash who had a really good game). Too many misplaced passes, poor final balls etc. However, even with that we were holding our own against yet another team who will (probably) finish above us in the league and will be thinking more about promotion than mid-table mediocrity.  It is therefore a complete kick in the goolies that a decent point or three were taken away from us by two bits of the most incompetent running of the line you're ever likely to see. 

Yes, we may have been fortunate he didn't flag for our second (same lino, who's head had probably gone by this time (to join his eyes)) but whether or not the player is interfering with play is an element of judgement. You can disagree with that judgement (I probably do - I'd be livid if that had happened to us) but it isn't necessarily a definite error.  But the ball going out is a fact. It is binary. There is right and there is wrong. To miss the ball being that far of play not once but twice is very very very wrong and the powers that be really do need to acknowledge the mistakes and take some form of action. Won't change anything as far as we're concerned but he should not be allowed to blight another game. 

I think there was a lot of fight and spirit in that performance. How can some fans not connect with this team and get behind this team? There was plenty to be encouraged with.

We were once again very hardworking, very tenacious, very competitive and very brave, almost bordering on naive at times mind you.

Sometimes we just need some extra composure and extra quality. It’s the difference between a newly promoted side and a well established one with multi-million pound signings in the line-up. Sainz took his goals really well and showed his threat all afternoon but there was a sense of us aiding our own downfall.

What’s frustrating is that we often make the difficult look easy and the easy things look difficult. We turn over the ball far too often and far too needlessly. We throw too many men forward and play with too much aggression sometimes. We squander chances (like Jackson’s in the first few minutes) that better opposition need no invitation to take.

On the balance of play, we deserved a point that we didn’t get, but there’s a lesson in there. We need to take such things out of the officials’ hands - be a bit more clinical, a bit smarter with the ball, and a bit tighter defensively and we’ll be absolutely fine!

Ok I’m home

ive today completely changed my mind on VAR

a s*** linesman first half was even shittier second half 

if you can’t see the ball is out of play once you shouldn’t be in the job! If you miss two you’re out in my book!!

we win that game 2-1 if that pillock gets those two easy decisions correct

sack him!!

we were excellent and deserved something from the game. Well played Derby and what a game of football!!! 

bring in VAR now premier league here we come

I need beer 🍻 

What a thoroughly entertaining game an excellent performance by us. For all the extra flair and technical ability of Norwich we were the better side, created the better chances and ultimately we’re robbed by some of worst officiating we’ve seen since we moved to PP!! Horrendous!! Thought we deserved at least a point and those thinking Norwich outclassed us, couldn’t disagree more! Only team to outplay us this season was Boro and we managed to win that one. I suppose with 9 consecutive home wins and 7 consecutive home clean sheets we were probably due one of these robberies!!

I actually think we can play even better if we can take just a little more care with the ball at times. JWZ, NML Jackson and Nelson not at their best today. I think Nat Phillips is worth a go now alongside Cash who was back to his best. Think Warne also needs to make a big call on Nyambe especially at home when we’re going for wins. He’s our best defender but messed up 2 or 3 promising attacks today where Wilson (who hasn’t done a lot wrong yet hasn’t had a look in) wouldve created a chance. Nyambe has to start Tuesday but I’d be thinking about Kane for QPR.

But overall delighted with what the boys are serving up at home, it’s fast furious entertaining football - this is Warneball!! One of those days today where you can genuinely say the officials cost us.

2 hours ago, ck- said:

Nothing wrong with our spirit but you can’t honestly think we were even close to Norwich in skill, pace or strength. We will get some wins from the spirit and effort, but the gulf in skill will lose us a few too. 

Really struggling to see where you got that from after watching this game. It was pretty close in my view. 

Yes, the Norwich front two were lively and clinical but those apart, there wasn’t a gulf in skill. You could argue we made a few more individual errors but there wasn’t much between the sides. Quite different against Boro where you could see a difference in slickness and anticipation between teammates. I’d suggest that as a player of the ball Kenzo was the most skilled on the pitch and what Cash lacks in height he overcomes with skill. 

Just got back. Those refereeing decisions were just unacceptable at this level of football; we would have had a point today and that really could matter at the end of the season; so frustrating.

I was disappointed in some of the players today; so many passes were too short or telegraphed, not enough grip in midfield at times too, but we did not deserve to lose.

Big shout out to Cash and Kenzo though; excellent performances. Just need to try and nick something at Sunderland on Tuesday. 

Hope the refs car breaks down on the way home.