Paul Warne, managers and plan

13 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

I just can’t see us ever being an attractive footballing side under PW no matter how much money we have to spend. And I’d dread him spending the money if we eventually have some to spend. Like I said I miss the days of Mclaren. Even when we win is it exciting. Do you think “wow we played them off the park”, I don’t think I ever have. He’s done his specialty and got us up. But how long to we keep with it 

I don’t think he will ever get the really good players to come here because they won’t want to ever play Warne ball.

I still miss Liam. The calibre of player we would have recruited under his leadership will have been far better than what PW can attract. I know it’s a mute point now but we let a future star manager leave.

Very best we hope for is an 15-20th spot, clear enough of relegation and that DC realises PW isn’t the manager to kick on with. 

18 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

It’s not about that. Do you think he’s the right man for the medium to long term. When we get some financial clout do you trust him with it 

16 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Read what has been posted and by whom 

is that a yes or no?

We are not slagging the club off but just want to just see us put in a performance with quick precise exciting football, win loose or draw.
I believe PW limit is League 1 playing safe football with the Championship a step to far, no clout in the transfer and loan market to bring in quality players.

I possibly speak for all Derby County fans and are grateful to him for getting us out of League 1, but the football has to be different if we want to stay in the Championship.

We have again started the new season like last, with no quality centre-forward who is able to hold the ball up, and lack of movement from players, were has the old adage in football of Pass and Move gone?

51 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Why are the other two promoted teams playing better football with more possession then? They both have lower squad values than us.

How many Portsmouth and Oxford games have you watched to come to this conclusion?

How do you determine their squad value? A random figure on Transfermarkt?

53 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Have a manager that makes all the current players better.

On what basis can you say he isn’t doing that?

Which players do you think would be performing under a different manager?

I think there is a realism with regards to our team and where we are physically and technically. I think we are focusing a lot of our attention to off the ball shape because that’s ultimately where we find ourselves more often than not, even if we tried to be more expansive and controlled in possession that’s probably not ideal given the resources and base talent within the squad. I think there was probably part of that in the first game away at Blackburn. 

We are built to play forward quickly, that’s the plan. Unfortunately, when it’s not executed well then it looks disjointed. It’s risk, reward. I feel like we are missing a few key pieces from doing it well. A striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into play is an absolute necessity. 

It’s all if, buts and maybes but the 3 performances so far have been far from enjoyable. 

FWIW if we manage to sign 3 decent players before deadline day I think we’ll stay up. 

But we are in catch 22 because I don’t think Warne will ever get us close to the PL.

Think DC plan may be to hope PW can keep us up and have us around 16th in 2 seasons time. Sell up, and then the new owners can get rid.

This is still a club in transition, it's not about beautiful football this season, rather to firmly establish ourselves in the division and then building from there.  I am not a fan of possession being most important, for me it is winning games with tactics, so I don't mind Warne's style, even as tactically it will need improving, which I believe it probably will.  Buying our way to success is not the way, if we want to invest, invest in a quality scout with international knowledge, I say.  Warne is still the right manager for the club IMO.

40 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I don’t think he will ever get the really good players to come here because they won’t want to ever play Warne ball.

I still miss Liam. The calibre of player we would have recruited under his leadership will have been far better than what PW can attract. I know it’s a mute point now but we let a future star manager leave.

Very best we hope for is an 15-20th spot, clear enough of relegation and that DC realises PW isn’t the manager to kick on with. 

In another thread, you said Kenzo is head and shoulders above the rest of the squad in terms of quality.

Wasn’t he a Warne signing?

You miss Rosenior? There is no guarantee he would have got us promoted and there is no guarantee Clowes and the club would have had the budget to attract the players he would have wanted at this level.

I was really impressed with the teams organisation today. It was a brilliant team goal from Ebou and Bradley should have snatched a point at the death. I feel we are playing with a 70% squad at present and you won’t see the best of us until we complete the squad and let all the players bed in. 
Having said that, it’s a tough watch, parking the bus isn’t entertaining football but necessary at the moment. We owe Clowes and Warne plenty for rebuilding the club and restoring some respect, but we will need major investment and a new manager to eventually challenge for the play offs. I like Warne but long term we need to need to aim higher than being the next Wimbledon.

Edited by hintonsboots

1 hour ago, BuckoBeast said:

I understand and appreciate that. If we got some funds would you want PW at the helm splashing the £££ because I certainly wouldn’t. I even stated that we were under restrictions etc. My point being what is the long term plan. I don’t think it’s with Paul and his team 

Why not?

It isn’t solely down to Warne to identify and sign players. It’s a group of people who work on it.

Warne will be in the plans as long as he is meeting Clowes’s targets. I would say so far he is doing that.

The long term plan seems to be slow growth. If we want to accelerate that, more investment, not a wizard-like coach will be needed.