Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Yeah you’d expect us to be better in terms of chances created because like last season it was a match in which we had a team of better players. But they play a style of football with a lot of players who weren’t playing league football last season which looks so impressive. Against teams at their level they’ll pick them apart. 

I felt at times we were more bothered about keeping the ball than scoring. The tempo we played at today helped them imo, as when the game speeds up they create more chances, but become much more open at the back.

4 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

THEY'RE IN LEAGUE TWO! They outplayed us for large spells in the game. Embarrassing.

They didn't though. If you ignore biases and look at the numbers, Derby were clearly the better side. They had very few chances, the one they did get we gifted to them. No reason to exaggerate about a decent performance.

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I agree, but they're a team with talent and experience. I wouldn't say they were typical of a National League side, nor League Two. They're favourites for a reason. 

It will get overlooked, but bar one moment of madness we stopped them from getting near our box for the most part. It isn't easy to do. At this moment in time, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Derby - we do lack craft and quality in the final third. We have been caught and punished on the counter. I do think there is promise in this team. 

Until their goal we looked very comfortable. Just need to be ruthless and cut out individual errors. 

Im hoping to see a howler free performance on Saturday. If we concede make them play brilliantly for it. 

4 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

THEY'RE IN LEAGUE TWO! They outplayed us for large spells in the game. Embarrassing.

I don’t think we were watching the same game. Normally, I’m one of the first to criticise us (after I’ve attached my Warne out banner to the plane), but tonight I felt we dictated the play of the game. When we wanted the ball we had the ball, when we were sat waiting for them to make a mistake on the ball, they did before doing any damage. 

Apart from a defensive mistake from Thompson and Bradley, we limited them to 2 speculative shots from a player (based on what I’ve seen of them) who I wouldn’t be overly concerned with.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

They didn't though. If you ignore biases and look at the numbers, Derby were clearly the better side. They had very few chances, the one they did get we gifted to them. No reason to exaggerate about a decent performance.

We edged out a League Two side at home with less possession using the one dimensional tactic of 'get the crosses in' and you think that was a "decent performance"? 

Just now, DCFC Kicks said:

We edged out a League Two side at home with less possession using the one dimensional tactic of 'get the crosses in' and you think that was a "decent performance"? 

Yes. We dominated the game, created a lot more chances and limited them to very few. They're a pretty decent side. We were decent. If you think that was some kind of dreadful performance you're either a WUM or you have poor footballing knowledge frankly. 

1 minute ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I think it's a new team finding it's feet.

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Did you not watch the game? Chesterfield 54% possession is a hint

You can have as much possession as you like - it's what you do with it that matters. We were much more effective in creating chances with our 46% than Chesterfield were with their 54%. Double their goal attempts and double their shots on target says far more than a possession breakdown.

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

They did get us running around and cause us problems tbh. We were only better than them after the subs and 1st half I thought they looked like the champ side while we struggled to do anything other than long balls to Fozzy and hoping Wilson took them all on.