Pre season

7 hours ago, jono said:

Last season Ipswich lost all their pre season games. Work that one out. 
I also believe Warne is methodical so expect a slow start. New players in new positions will be getting tuned in to Warne as well as getting to know each other. I am certain we will be playing better football as the season progresses.

I dunno Dave but I don’t really see this contention that Warne is a bit one dimensional and doesn’t encourage good football. Sure we aren’t Brazil 1970 or Dutch total football but we’re not bad and I reckon our new more mobile midfield might just change our options. I suppose we’ll find out in time, but I’m going to let it unfold a little more and as long as the first 2 months see reasonable points on the board then I am ok waiting until October. 

Agreed. All we can do is wait and see. We still end ed up playing some good footy, but only after nearly losing a load of fans, and after Ebou arrived. Ignoring the pre-season matches, I am baffled how loads of other clubs, regardless of what league they are in, can hit the ground running from day one and outplay us, and this has been the case for as far back as I can remember.

It us clear that this is an “in it for the long haul” situation, so lets hope it doesn’t take too long and too much pushing to get the train moving.

36 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

I don’t profess to being an expert but Warne seems to have quite an old fashioned view of fitness.  Just absolutely beast players in pre season.

Have never got the sense we were the fittest team under him, we seemed to tire towards the end quite often.

And in games we have a chaotic approach to it, we don’t really press as a team.

It's hard to judge how tired or not the players got towards the end of games, but we still outscored the opposition 15-8 in the last 10 minutes of games last season, so I'd assume from that that it wasn't generally a big problem?

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's hard to judge how tired or not the players got towards the end of games, but we still outscored the opposition 15-8 in the last 10 minutes of games last season, so I'd assume from that that it wasn't generally a big problem?

We actually looked fitter than most teams, and the late goals back that up. That’s even with an older team than most, so I’d hope that would improve even further. 

5 hours ago, Magicman said:

We really don't have a striker who will be good enough yet.  Collins needs to stay in the box while Yates needs time and thats it. No guile, no power no pace.

Perhaps you have unwittingly exposed the reason behind PW’s desire for wide players. If PW fills the team with wide players then Collins will have no where to go other than to stay in the box.😂😂😂

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

The majority of dcfcfans forum posters go flying again…..on here!

The minority of dcfcfans forum posters enjoying the sun, landing it and getting straight on the beach ready to enjoy a few beers and another wonderful season of Derby County Football ahead! 

@FlyBritishMidland enjoy the ride!

Up The Rams 🐏 

Cocktail anyone? 🍹

11 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Agreed. All we can do is wait and see. We still end ed up playing some good footy, but only after nearly losing a load of fans, and after Ebou arrived. Ignoring the pre-season matches, I am baffled how loads of other clubs, regardless of what league they are in, can hit the ground running from day one and outplay us, and this has been the case for as far back as I can remember.

It us clear that this is an “in it for the long haul” situation, so lets hope it doesn’t take too long and too much pushing to get the train moving.

It is puzzling and Ebou made a huge difference in our set up and capabilities in the middle. I reckon there are a number of factors at work which apply to many pre seasons, for many clubs. Instinctively we imagine a side a league or two lower should get brushed aside in a comfortable warm up for more skilled players. Then you throw in new players that are new to both the manager, new to their teammates. Then a manager who deliberates with systems, a manager who wants to get to know what his new assets are like and finally those lower league teams that, like cup games, are fired up to get the big boys. The same big boys who are focussed on tactics and set ups rather than getting 3 points. 

The football in the first half of last season was patchy .. 2 good games followed by some pronounced flatness. Turn up one week and then play like a hung over pub team the next. Then his early season forcing the wing back thing that he eventually abandoned as a starting formation. There’s a thing about Warne .. he has an idea but if it doesn’t work first time he sticks with it and scapes the jar until it’s empty. Unlike some past managers he does have plans B and C but sticks with A until he is certain .. It’s an odd one, because us armchair managers saw the weaknesses; particularly in NML not being a wing back ever ! 

I flipping hate losing, for pride but also because there is a feeling that it dints confidence but as I said, Ipswich pulled it together didn’t they ? 

hey ho let’s wait and see. Looking forward to the Spanish game at PP where I am hoping it will be us who’s fired up in front of a home crowd and want a La Liga scalp.

11 hours ago, Crewton said:

Some might think that 7 wins, 2 draws and just the one loss in our last 10 games might indicate a team still firing on all cylinders too. 

In terms of preseason and how much insight it can give you into the season, unfortunately I do have a recent example: 

Sheffield Wednesday last season started with a draw with York City 1-1 then beat Chesterfield 2-1. 

The next five games didn't go to plan: Lost to Burnley 3-0, drew with Real Murcia 1-1, lost 4-0 to Eldense and followed it up with losses to Doncaster & Luton. 

In their first 13 games, they lost 10 and drew 3. Beat Rotherham to get their first win of the season on matchday 14 and then followed it up with 3 losses and a draw. 

1 win, 4 draws & 13 losses in their first 18 games. 

Something we can hopefully avoid. 

On 28/07/2024 at 13:00, jono said:

Last season Ipswich lost all their pre season games. Work that one out. 
I also believe Warne is methodical so expect a slow start. New players in new positions will be getting tuned in to Warne as well as getting to know each other. I am certain we will be playing better football as the season progresses.

I dunno Dave but I don’t really see this contention that Warne is a bit one dimensional and doesn’t encourage good football. Sure we aren’t Brazil 1970 or Dutch total football but we’re not bad and I reckon our new more mobile midfield might just change our options. I suppose we’ll find out in time, but I’m going to let it unfold a little more and as long as the first 2 months see reasonable points on the board then I am ok waiting until October. 

Are you sure about that? 

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you sure about that? 

No 🤣. Repeating Facebook gossip 

Made a good argument though 🙃 and it might have been true 

(Did they ? ) 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

No 🤣. Repeating Facebook gossip 

Made a good argument though 🙃 and it might have been true 

(Did they ? ) 

Nope.

Though they did lose a couple of games against L1 opposition when they played Cambridge and Stevenage on the same day

Next 2 pre season matches have got to show something that resembles how we’ll be setting up a week on Friday. 

We have significantly reduced the age/fitness profile of our squad. Even the older lads signed (Osborn and Jackson) feel fitter and more athletic than those we have lost. CBT has also had a full Warne preseason. 

What we put out against Barnsley and Zaragoza has got to build a bit more optimism into the fan base. Sack this 2 upfront b******* off when you’ve only got 2 strikers you’re willing to play and loads of wide attackers who don’t fit into the system. 

Vickers 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

Wilson Ozoh Ebou Elder 

NML Yates Jackson 

Luthra 

Bardell Bradley Forsyth 

Ward Kenzo Osborn Thompson 

Barkhuizen Collo CBT 

GK, CB, LWB, Attacker and Forward are clearly what needs to be addressed before the end of August as we well knew. 

If we see something like 

Vickers 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

Wilson Ozoh Kenzo Ebou Elder 

NML Jackson 

then I’ll be disappointed as It’d make the marquee signing of last season -  CBT - seem totally out of sync with the plan. 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Next 2 pre season matches have got to show something that resembles how we’ll be setting up a week on Friday. 

We have significantly reduced the age/fitness profile of our squad. Even the older lads signed (Osborn and Jackson) feel fitter and more athletic than those we have lost. CBT has also had a full Warne preseason. 

What we put out against Barnsley and Zaragoza has got to build a bit more optimism into the fan base. Sack this 2 upfront b******* off when you’ve only got 2 strikers you’re willing to play and loads of wide attackers who don’t fit into the system. 

Vickers 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

Wilson Ozoh Ebou Elder 

NML Yates Jackson 

Luthra 

Bardell Bradley Forsyth 

Barkhuizen Collo CBT 

GK, CB, LWB, Attacker and Forward are clearly what needs to be addressed before the end of August as we well knew. 

If we see something like 

Vickers 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

NML Jackson 

then I’ll be disappointed as It’d make the marquee signing of last season -  CBT - seem totally out of sync with the plan. 

I agree with all of this, except that we can't dictate the system around a £300,000 signing.

He's only considered 'marquee' (in your terms) as he was the first fee we'd paid in years and seemed to signify a watershed moment post-admin, but the reality is it's a £300,000 signing which is absolute chicken feed in the context of transfer fees for a championship club. It's Nigel Clough money.

If CBT doesn't fit then sell him back to a promotion chasing L1 club. I have no doubt whatsoever that we'd get our £300,000 back, if not more.

29 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I agree with all of this, except that we can't dictate the system around a £300,000 signing.

He's only considered 'marquee' (in your terms) as he was the first fee we'd paid in years and seemed to signify a watershed moment post-admin, but the reality is it's a £300,000 signing which is absolute chicken feed in the context of transfer fees for a championship club. It's Nigel Clough money.

If CBT doesn't fit then sell him back to a promotion chasing L1 club. I have no doubt whatsoever that we'd get our £300,000 back, if not more.

I don’t mean marquee because of the price tag I meant it because it was clear that Warne had been after him for successive transfer windows to the point where we paid for a player we could have had for free in another 6 months. 
Warne and the club were clear that we were trying to sign players that could make the step up (Ebou, Nyambe etc) so you have to assume they’d believe he was one to go up with including being a big part of the squad. 

51 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Vickers 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

Wilson Ozoh Ebou Elder 

NML Yates Jackson 

Luthra 

Bardell Bradley Forsyth 

Barkhuizen Collo CBT 

If we see something like 

Vickers 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin 

NML Jackson 

Hope we don’t play 2 wingers up top…

15 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I don’t mean marquee because of the price tag I meant it because it was clear that Warne had been after him for successive transfer windows to the point where we paid for a player we could have had for free in another 6 months. 
Warne and the club were clear that we were trying to sign players that could make the step up (Ebou, Nyambe etc) so you have to assume they’d believe he was one to go up with including being a big part of the squad. 

Fair point. He's doesn't really fit any shape that involves 3 at the back in my view, as he's not a natural fit in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1.

I do think that people are getting too transfixed on us ALWAYS playing 3/5 at the back this season though, there will be plenty of games where it's 4-3-3- or 4-2-3-1 (as was the case last season) where CBT does have a natural role in the team.

@Ghost of Clough how many times did we start as a back 4 last season?