Wildsmith

Posted (edited)

Pretty gutted about this, the only player that has left from the retained list that I would have definitely kept. Wages, wanted to join a new club or falling out with manager, probably will never know.

Edited by JPRamFan

1 hour ago, Andrew3000 said:

Sure great guy.  CB cover maybe but another slow one.  Can't see him at LB or LWB at this level. 

There must have been about ten LB or LWB brought in to replace him over the years and not one of them was any better - his ability to slot in a left sided centre half if we play 3 at the back will be very useful.

1 hour ago, SSD said:

Wildsmith getting some keyboard warrior abuse on good ol' social media. He's completed his contract, a big part of the promotion campaign. Proved to everyone he can be a number one and not a bench warmer. 

Well done Joe. Good luck for next season. 

There are some real cretins out there, unpleasant comments levelled at Wildsmith and reactionary catastrophising of the finest order aimed at the club such as “we’re guaranteed relegation now” and words to that effect. 
Hopefully most people are able to accept the decision, respect and acknowledge his contribution to the club’s recovery over the last 2 years, and wish him and his replacement well for the future. 

Joe came to us without a regular first team spot, probably on a modest wage, made the Number One shirt his own and won this season's Golden Glove for League One.

He will be in demand, quite a change for a player who two seasons ago wasn't getting game time.

His stock has never been higher and it's a short career (especially for someone breaking through relatively late). He will be maximising that for the future of his family. 

I enjoyed his time here at Derby, he was quite a character, especially when in front of us away fans. I wish him all the best. 

Posted (edited)

What stood out from the video he put on his instagram account was how poor the camerawork was. It was a show-reel of his saves, but the cameramen managed to miss loads of them.

Thanks anyway, Joe!

Edited by DavesaRam
I still can’t type!

As with most things in football I imagine that this is simply down to money - Wildsmith (more likely his agent) thinks he can get more than we are prepared to offer and Derby think they can get a better keeper for the money Wildsmith (his agent) is prepared to accept.

He's been a good keeper for us these last 2 years, so no hard feelings and wish him good luck for the future.

Looking forward to seeing who we're bringing in now, whether that be Iversen, Johansson or someone else.

2 hours ago, jono said:

I honestly believe he’s one of those who breathe the club with every breath. He will be cover almost certainly, but his legs haven’t gone, he could stand in, in 3 different positions and give a good account of himself. 

He was pedestrian at this level 4 years ago.  If he's any sense he'll move back to League 1 for his swansong.  Unless it's forced, a hugely retrograde resigning. 

5 hours ago, The_Sheriff said:

Unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind seeing him go.  I think he's a good league one keeper but not sure about championship.    

Very good shot stopper but useless past his own 6 yard box and distribution questionable 

Strange that , because Warne had him taking all the dead balls near the half way line . Creating numerous chances . In 10 games time , we could be talking about him again .

6 hours ago, The_Sheriff said:

Unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind seeing him go.  I think he's a good league one keeper but not sure about championship.    

Very good shot stopper but useless past his own 6 yard box and distribution questionable 

I agree with you. He’s very good in many aspects but his penalty area management isn’t quite good enough. 

23 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Fans  ITK , are saying it’s Portsmouth for Wildsmith . But their top earners are only on £7k a week . Seems strange when we pay our top lads £10k a week.

Portsmouth have wealthy owners and I’ve heard people (itk) say they’re a well run club and have ambition. I think they’ll recruit a strong squad over the summer. If soton lose in the playoffs pompey might well finish above them next season 

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He was pedestrian at this level 4 years ago.  If he's any sense he'll move back to League 1 for his swansong.  Unless it's forced, a hugely retrograde resigning. 

I disagree. There was a home game mid season and Fozzy was in a race for the ball with a younger attacker, can’t remember who, no half yard, right foot advantage. He won it, (just !)

Also .. watch how he heads a ball .. one of the few who can direct a defensive header to a white shirt. He’s also cute enough to play the line ball inside or outside to a runner he has actually seen. No he isn’t the dynamic striding forward man that he was 10 years ago but he is an able and intelligent footballer with another season in him. Not retrograde .. intelligent use of a loyal and experienced player. 

12 minutes ago, jono said:

I disagree. There was a home game mid season and Fozzy was in a race for the ball with a younger attacker, can’t remember who, no half yard, right foot advantage. He won it, (just !)

Also .. watch how he heads a ball .. one of the few who can direct a defensive header to a white shirt. He’s also cute enough to play the line ball inside or outside to a runner he has actually seen. No he isn’t the dynamic striding forward man that he was 10 years ago but he is an able and intelligent footballer with another season in him. Not retrograde .. intelligent use of a loyal and experienced player. 

We all have opinions but I think squad player to avoid injury in League 1 is mine. If money is not object it's always OK, but it seems that's not the case. 

12 minutes ago, Gary Teale said:

Political but I’m not sure not many companies have any loyalty to their employees.

Football is no different, just as every release list shows.

He saw out his contract and by all accounts it sounds as though he made his intentions clear in January, giving us ample time to consider other options for the summer recruitment. It’s disappointing but I don’t plan on holding it against him.