Wildsmith

On 10/05/2024 at 15:24, MadAmster said:

Can someone, anyone, post a link, a trustworthy one, that categorically states that JW has turned down an offer?

Hope he puts pen to paper soon . At his age , being out of contract , this will probably be his biggest payday . £10k-£15k  a week could have to last him a long time .Good luck , whatever he does .

On 10/05/2024 at 15:24, MadAmster said:

Can someone, anyone, post a link, a trustworthy one, that categorically states that JW has turned down an offer?

It was more than likely let me see what division we're in before I commit to anything rather than turning it down, fairly confident he'll sign now.

17 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I did hear a couple of weeks back that he turned down our offer and wanted more money and is looking elsewhere which is his choice. He helped us and we helped him. 

I've read/heard of 27 different players we're buying this summer. 2 of those arriving would be a miracle. Where did you hear it? Who from? A reputable, reliable source or did you overhear someone saying they'd seen something on FB or X?

The whole point being there's a lot of crap being written by folk wanting clicks to gain advertising revenue from their FB pages, YouTube channels and websites. We don't yet know who's staying and who's going. We're not the only club that hasn't yet published their retained list. Unless a club has said something, there's no traction in any of these rumours.

3 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I've read/heard of 27 different players we're buying this summer. 2 of those arriving would be a miracle. Where did you hear it? Who from? A reputable, reliable source or did you overhear someone saying they'd seen something on FB or X?

The whole point being there's a lot of crap being written by folk wanting clicks to gain advertising revenue from their FB pages, YouTube channels and websites. We don't yet know who's staying and who's going. We're not the only club that hasn't yet published their retained list. Unless a club has said something, there's no traction in any of these rumours.

Very good source thanks - will he change his mind now that we have achieved promotion who knows because people do but I am not expecting him to still be with us next season.

56 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Indeed.  A further, agents are liable to telling white lies:

My client is reviewing their options and is unwilling to sign "at this time".  It puts out the word that they might be interested in a change and makes the club up wage offer.

Always be sceptical it might all be smoke and mirrors.  

Am I correct in saying that as Wildsmith will be a free-agent on June 1st , he could have been talking to foreign clubs from last January ? It’s possible , they love a freebie as much as us .

1 minute ago, jimtastic56 said:

Am I correct in saying that as Wildsmith will be a free-agent on June 1st , he could have been talking to foreign clubs from last January ? It’s possible , they love a freebie as much as us .

July 1st

19 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Possible replacement for Wildsmith — Wes Foderingham released by Shef Utd . Looked good in the Championship . Played behind the worst defence in the Prem , possibly shell- shocked .

Sheff Utd fans wouldn’t recommend him, their glad to see the back of him.

30 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I've heard a while ago that he's turned down a contract off.

Then been told this morning he's signed for Portsmouth.

No idea if true, just what I've heard. So don't shoot the messenger.

Heard nothing else about any other player.

What would be his reasoning is to go to Pombey as it's hardly a step up. Money? Personal reasons?

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Possible replacement for Wildsmith — Wes Foderingham released by Shef Utd . Looked good in the Championship . Played behind the worst defence in the Prem , possibly shell- shocked .

They can pay for his carpal tunnel issues after a year in goal for them first.

8 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

What would be his reasoning is to go to Pombey as it's hardly a step up. Money? Personal reasons?

Honestly mate, no idea.

When I was told yesterday morning I was surprised.

I guessed at money or personal reasons. Not sure where his wife is from?

But he's from Sheffield, he's been playing week in week out for the last 2 years (something he's not had before) so he's close to home to.

Then I thought well I wonder if we've offered him a new deal but no guarantees he's number one. But Pompey have Norris (who got in team of the season) so I'm not sure he'll be number one there either.

Genuinely though I'm not bothered. Decent keeper. But nothing special.

Made some good saves, but also dropped some absolute clangers.

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Honestly mate, no idea.

When I was told yesterday morning I was surprised.

I guessed at money or personal reasons. Not sure where his wife is from?

But he's from Sheffield, he's been playing week in week out for the last 2 years (something he's not had before) so he's close to home to.

Then I thought well I wonder if we've offered him a new deal but no guarantees he's number one. But Pompey have Norris (who got in team of the season) so I'm not sure he'll be number one there either.

Genuinely though I'm not bothered. Decent keeper. But nothing special.

Made some good saves, but also dropped some absolute clangers.

Agree on this, first six months with the club was brilliant. Barely made an error, then a few crept in towards end of last season. Didn’t seem to have the same presence this year. Made some great saves in the run in though!

I hope he stays. Young for a keeper, strong bond with Cash and Nelson,. Don’t like to see a stable unit broken up. He can still be coached. That said, if as a free agent he gets offered a signing on fee it’s bound to be tempting for a young man so who knows. If he does go then we might get a keeper on lower wages but would likely have to pay something to someone. I suppose all will be revealed in the fullness of time 

9 minutes ago, jono said:

I hope he stays. Young for a keeper, strong bond with Cash and Nelson,. Don’t like to see a stable unit broken up. He can still be coached. That said, if as a free agent he gets offered a signing on fee it’s bound to be tempting for a young man so who knows. If he does go then we might get a keeper on lower wages but would likely have to pay something to someone. I suppose all will be revealed in the fullness of time 

Within the last 9 minutes it's confirmed he's left the club! The fullness of time isn't always very long...