Match Thread: Cambridge United (a)

Is that ballbag Lyle Taylor fit for them this weekend.  13k a week is bonkers for his recent record.  Bet he'll be a pain in the arse though.  Their captain is back in training as well who seemed to have the ball glued to his head at Pride Park.   

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just wondering what our approach will be. Go for the win or make sure we don’t lose. Interesting……very interesting 😊

Need to go to win to avoid the shitfest of GD coming into play next week, especially as Peterborough are the team that love to win by 4 or lose by 5

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Is that ballbag Lyle Taylor fit for them this weekend.  13k a week is bonkers for his recent record.  Bet he'll be a pain in the arse though.  Their captain is back in training as well who seemed to have the ball glued to his head at Pride Park.   

Monk apparently said Taylor would be back in training this week. There should be an update later today after the press conference.

Got to play like we need a win…. go for it ….then if it ends up a draw that would be fine ….we will beat Carlisle last game to seal it in front of a full house let’s be honest we are a much better side than Cambridge but there pitch is quite tight so not sure wing backs will be so effective 

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Seems like the dry pitch has been a tactic of Garry Monk probably to eliminate any form passing into spaces and getting turned around on their fairly small pitch.

I can imagine there will be a bit of a head scratch as to whether to play Bradley with the 3 at the back as according to opta Cambridge concede more set piece shots on goal (170) compared to Leyton orient (152) but Cambridge however have conceded 8 less set piece goals so will we have a threat on set pieces it seems hard to tell.

Edited by eddielewis

1 minute ago, eddielewis said:

Seems like the dry pitch has been a tactic of Garry Monk probably to eliminate any form passing into spaces and getting turned around on their fairly small pitch.

I can imagine there will be a bit of a head scratch as to whether to play Bradley with the 3 at the back as according to opta Cambridge concede more set piece shots on goal (170) compared to Leyton orient (152) but Cambridge however have conceded 8 less set piece goals so will we have a threat on set pieces it seems hard to tell.

I sincerely hope Warne and the players are aware of this and remember Northampton, where the pitch was very bobbly for a well covered surface. We need to adopt better tactics than we did there.

12 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just wondering what our approach will be. Go for the win or make sure we don’t lose. Interesting……very interesting 😊

I'm sure it will be somewhere between the two. Go for the win but not so gung-ho that we put ourselves too much at risk of losing.

On the front foot please but with control and composure. 

36 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Play Bird , who has been out for weeks , can’t tackle , picked Bristol city over us , going in 2 games . Not for me , thanks . 

I wouldn't start him, simply because he's been out for so long, nor would I discriminate against him simply because he's opted to go somewhere else, but to suggest he can't tackle is just plain wrong, as the stats below indicate. His creativity may yet be needed at some point in the next 2 games.

Screenshot_20240418-130944-01.thumb.jpeg.ee3e2bde80c5929196eb6ab1084443d9.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I wouldn't start him, simply because he's been out for so long, nor would I discriminate against him simply because he's opted to go somewhere else, but to suggest he can't tackle is just plain wrong, as the stats below indicate. His creativity may yet be needed at some point in the next 2 games.

Screenshot_20240418-130944-01.thumb.jpeg.ee3e2bde80c5929196eb6ab1084443d9.jpeg

As you show there, he makes the 2nd most tackles out of all of our CMs. As you also point out, his creativity may be needed - Adams, Smith (and Thompson) offer very little, whilst only Hourihane creates more chances and that's only due to set pieces. From open play, Bird creates twice as many chances as the next best CM.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Play Bird , who has been out for weeks , can’t tackle , picked Bristol city over us , going in 2 games . Not for me , thanks . 

He does however have 5 goals and 7 assists in the league this season, I’d rather have that potential threat available on the pitch to see us over the line before he does leave than not utilise it.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram